PDA

View Full Version : 22 cal range results

BT Sniper
04-12-2012, 05:18 AM
I hope we can all add to a 22 cal bullets from 22LR brass range results thread. I know to do that I got to get the dies in your hands, thanks for your patience by the way to all of you.

Here was some results from a memorable range trip over the weekend I spent shooting with my dad and some of my 55 grain 9s 22 cal bullets made from 22LR brass.

I usually am not to concerned with where the bullets land on the target only the size of the group for initial testing but with a varmint shoot planed I needed to hit what I was aiming at. It was then, as I dialed in the scope, that I realized the true potential of these bullets. I believe with the right set up, load and conditions these 22 cal bullets made from 22LR brass are capible of being every bit as accurate as commercial bullets.

At the end of the range secesion I was able to hit and send the bullets right where I was aiming. I was very pleased to say the least and it greatly improved my confidence in these bullets.

So here is the load data as follows.

Savage 12 BVSS 223 rem with 26" barrel with 1-9 twist.
LC match preped brass
Wolf 223 primers (I was quite happy with the performance for these bargin priced primers)
H-335 with powder thrower set at 23.0 grains. I did not measure more then a couple loads since it is a ball powder it meeters very well. I proceeded to load about 400 rounds this way.
22LR jacketed 9s ogive bullets @ 55.5 grains (not sorted by brand!)
FPS @ 3100
distance 100 yrds
Calm winds

So what we have here is the first target of the day for me. There is three seperate groups there. They where my first shots of the day with the gun but my dad had allready put about 20-30 rounds down the tube shooting at various targets.

My first three shots is the vertical string group at the low right postion. Not bad and maybe the vertical was shooter error? Think it was still about .5" group.

Second group is left of center target after I adjusted teh scope a bit. First two shots went into the same hole and I got excited, the third shot went high, dangit!

Third group after adjusting the scope again I aimed for the small grey circle. Think it is about .5" diameter. I remember this group well. First two shots are touching at 12 o-clock in the grey and I'm trying to stay calm again. Then I pull the third shot high and right, dangit! again missed a great three shot group oportunity. Now I concentrate and put shot #4 in the grey circle 6 o-clock low and I'm thinking these are accurate bullets and yes, when I do my part they go where they are supposed to, so I fire a 5th shot and sure enough it goes high and right. Well I was certainly happy with shots 1,2 and 4 so I called it good. I was very happy considering I didn't weght the powder charge in these loads to the tenth of a grain, simply droped it from the RCBS powder dispencer and I didn't sort the brand of 22LR brass I used for the jakcets. So naturally I though maybe I can imrove even more. Well I shall see I guess and hope to have severial more targets with even better groups in the near future. Think I'll shoot at five or ten different small targets, like the benchrest crowd does, this way maybe I won't get so excited when I put a bullet in the same hole but simple continue to hit the center of each target? Untill then I will get busy on all of your customer orders and get these awsome dies in your hands to do some shooting.

Here is the link to the target pictured below if you want to print it out to give you an idea of the size. http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

Maybe I'll shoot a target like this next. http://accurateshooter.net/targets/TargetC.pdf

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1070287.jpg

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

gabe123
04-12-2012, 06:01 AM
I figured out how you can be so prolific, you never sleep!! Great results there, glad to hear those Wolf primers are working out. I have been looking at the Wolf brand stuff, decent prices.
The most important part of your post though, is that you went shooting with your dad. Too often we get caught up in our own world and forget to spend time with the important things, family.

runfiverun
04-12-2012, 07:08 AM
that accurate shooter link is the targets i use.
i can either sight in to aim at the target and let the bullets go into the box.
or go to the crosshairs and use both the bullseye and the box for different groups.

sorting brands and casting/swaging cores for each ones case volume will shrink your groups.
there is just a couple of tenths of a grain difference between well filled out noses,and wrinkeled cases, and point forming problems between brands.
i was going to post a couple of groups we shot with 22 swaged jaxkets in both the AR and 22-250but littlegirl is still showing them off to the guy's around town.

cleaning the inside of the jaxkets [i do it twice] and keeping the bases square,is imperative to good accuracy.
i don't anneal the cases either.

DukeInFlorida
04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
What technique do you use for cleaning the insides of the jackets TWICE?

runfiverun
04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
first off is the citric acid and soak/agitate it for 3 hrs.
then into the tumbler with clean, hot water and a little dish soap.
after de-rimming i then re wash in citric acid, and tumble in the tumbler with ceramic sand.

Utah Shooter
04-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I clean it twice as well. Before and after annealing. I am actually going to start giving every case a once over with a swab after annealing. I de rim before annealing like most.

Just curious why you do not anneal?

badluther
04-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I clean my .22lr brass (after annealing) using the ss media method and it works slick.

runfiverun
04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
i couldn't see the need to anneal.
the bases are square and i have nicely formed cases with minimal effort.
the few i tried annealing just wanted to get scaley and stick to the de-rim die.
i tried it after de-rimming and seen no benefit.
i square the bases when seating the core in my hornady press, and point form in a little rcbs a-2.
then final size in the hornady again, all the effort is expended when de-rimming.

runfiveslittlegirl
04-12-2012, 10:27 PM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/0412122019b.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/0412122019a.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/_DnA_/Mobile%20Uploads/0412122019.jpg

runfiverun
04-12-2012, 10:36 PM
sorry about the blurr.
but i was trying to keep the glare off the tape and hold them steady at the same time.
you can see the holes though.
those are all 6 and 7 shot groups at 100 yds with off the shelf rifles.
the stag has a bent 3x9 scope on it but does fine out to 150 yds.
and the 22-250 is quite accurate for a rifle made in 1965.

MIBULLETS
04-13-2012, 05:23 PM
I have no problem with the bases when I don't anneal, but I sure get a lot more bullet tip folds when I don't anneal. Can you show us a picture of the bullets you make? I would be curious to see how tight the hole in the tip of the bullet is.

BT Sniper
04-13-2012, 09:01 PM
I concure..... Unless I anneal the brass (after deriming) the tip will fold in on it's self. My dies have a .062 meplat. Only time I can make the 22 cal bullet without annealing the brass is if I make it a 65+ grain lead tiped bullet where the brass jacket it not sizing down so much.

runfiverun
04-14-2012, 02:05 AM
i'll try and get some up this weekend.
the hole is pretty open,i don't try to force it.
like i said i point form on the little a-2 press and could do it on a lee c press if i wanted to.
i do occasionally get a little fold on a nose but that's generally from the core being a little light.
and the lead comes right up to just an actual hair short of the hole.
these are a 6s ogive and i would like to get a 7s as it would fit the ar's throats better.