PDA

View Full Version : Your Magazine Choice

joatmon
04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Whats you favorite choice for a black powder reference magizine. I've been shooting them for years but am tired of the minie/cap routine. I bought a nice 45 cal flinter but have yet to shoot it. I'd like a magizine that would cover from new at it to seasond shooter as time goes on. I realize I might have to wait a while to get some of it but can still start shooting with the great advise gained here!

Thanks All; Aaron

DIRT Farmer
04-12-2012, 12:10 AM
The only muzzle loading magazine I currently take is Muzzle Blasts, the one from the National Muzzle Loading Rifle assn.

mooman76
04-12-2012, 12:29 AM
+1 on Muzzle Blasts and it's the only one I know of. I believe CVA use to have one but it was annual or something like that.

waksupi
04-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Keep an eye on Ebay and other used dealers, try to find some old copies of "The Buckskin Report".

"Muzzleloader Magazine" is also out there, but focuses more on the eastern history.

Rio Grande
04-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Backwoodsman Magazine by Charlie Richie.
Not just black powder articles, but seems like every issue has one or two, and just about everything in that magazine is interesting. Lots of primitive living and self-sufficiency items.

Boerrancher
04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
I like Muzzleloader magazine. I don't have a current subscription but I still like to read it. Yeah it is geared more toward the eastern history of the US, and the years before Hawken made his first rifle in St Louis, but there is always good information about the muzzleloading rifle. I always learn something new every time I pick up an issue. I loved the Prime Possibles articles. There was always something new there to learn about traditional possibles and how to make your possibles work better.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hanshi
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
#1 is Muzzleloader Magazine, IMHO. I couldn't do without it.

frontier gander
04-12-2012, 05:05 PM
none, they all suck and have more advertisements than useful info.

joatmon
04-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the replies I do read Backwoodsman and like it. Thanks for the tip on the Buckskin Report, I'll look for some. Guess I'll join and get Muzzle Blast!
Thanks Again Aaron

gandydancer
04-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Dixie gun works used to have one. it was also a annual. not sure it still does. I will have to check. GD

Rio Grande
04-12-2012, 09:49 PM
none, they all suck and have more advertisements than useful info.

You have not read Backwoodsman....
Get a copy of Backwoodsman magazine, editor Charlie Richie.

NOT Backwoods Home.

waksupi
04-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Backwoods Home causes retardation.

Boerrancher
04-12-2012, 11:18 PM
I have never heard of any of these magazines, except Muzzleloader. I will have to start looking for some of them, with the exception of Backwoods Home. I can't afford to loose any more IQ points.

Best wishes,

Joe

Lead Fred
04-13-2012, 12:29 AM
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php

Been a member for years

waksupi
04-13-2012, 01:09 AM
I would also suggest you sign on at the American Longrifles page. Lots of experienced folks there.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

frontier gander
04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
You have not read Backwoodsman....
Get a copy of Backwoodsman magazine, editor Charlie Richie.

NOT Backwoods Home.

Nope, they went down hill. I have a bunch from the 80's that are great, but the new stuff sucks. The last one i bought that was new only had a howda double barrel pistol and the rest including that was garbage.

04-13-2012, 02:23 PM
I imagine since all the hype and bling in guns and gun marketing (including the new, so-called muzzleloaders) focuses on black, stainless, plastic, sabot'd, "sniper", uppers, lowers, mag capacity, velocity, rate-of-fire, tactical shmactical this, tactical shmactical that, Zombie this that or the other, etc..... the market and interest for traditional muzzleloader periodicals is getting smaller. Probably difficult to sell many traditional ML periodicals and I'm surprised that even the one or two around are still in business. A quick glance at the gun/shooting section of a large magazine rack tells the story.

I like "Muzzleloader" better than "Muzzle Blast"-- my opinion only. And really like the "Book of Buckskinning" series.

missionary5155
04-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Good morning
For some excellent reading I highly recommend Mr. Ned Roberts old book The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle. Used copies are easily found and well worth the greenbacks.
Mike in Peru