PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat!!!!!!!

Buckshot
04-05-2007, 03:53 AM
............Was high bidder on this microscope on E-Bay and I guess I was the only one awake. They must have screwed up because it ended at 0127 Pacific time last Wednesday. I'm thinking they must have wanted it to end at 1327. Got it today. Bidding started at $75 and that's what I got it at (well, plus shipping).

.............Buckshot

Bret4207
04-05-2007, 05:25 AM
Ok, good for you, but I gotta ask. How in the world do you justify that one to your wife? Even my wife, bless her heart, would give me "the look" if I turned up with something like that.

rmb721
04-05-2007, 07:24 AM
When my wife asks "Why did you need that?", I just say that "need" had nothing to do with it.

Dye
04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Buckshot
This the electrical conection the lens or a camera . If you don't mind what is the make and model. Welcome to the little world, it will drive you to drinking.
Be carefull Dye

redneckdan
04-05-2007, 11:24 AM
um...if you don't mind my askin...what the hell ya gonna use it for?:?:

dubber123
04-05-2007, 11:30 AM
He needs it to measure those little itty bitty groups.

castalott
04-05-2007, 05:49 PM
it would be a great way to inspect molds....find out why some cavities stick & others don't......Want to make $5 on it?

45nut
04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
He needs it to measure those little itty bitty groups.

:))::castmine:

Buckshot
04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Tpr Brett, "Ok, good for you, but I gotta ask. How in the world do you justify that one to your wife?"

.............I don't think she cares much. We've been married 32 years and she knows I like 'stuff'. One time at the big LA gunshow I was rummageing around in several cardboard boxes of leather goods. I pulled out this cartridge pouch (I think) about the size of a 20 rnd box of rifle cartridges. Swiss made and a magnificent piece of work. She asked what I was going to use it for? I said I had no idea, but for $7 I couldn't pass it up. Is that an indicator of a problem? :-)

Dye, "This the electrical conection the lens or a camera . If you don't mind what is the make and model."

.............The elec connection is for the halogen light there on the side of the head. I don't know the make and model. It has a sticker on it that says, "Stereo Microscope with Universal Stand. Then a barcode. It has a stylized AB which could be the importer or maker. I've gotten tooling before with the same AB on it. It's definately Chinese or maybe Tiwanese. The importer is H&Hip which is H&H Industrial Products. They included a catalog showing this model (of 3) at $199. It has 20x eyepieces and a 1x objective. You can get 5x & 15X eyepieces and a 3.5x objective also.

............It came with no instructions at all. So if you visualize a monkey trying to figure out the space shuttle you have it! I did finally get it figured out though. It's very heavy for it's size, which really means nothing, However I can say that it's also very well made, whoever made it.

redneckdan, " um...if you don't mind my askin...what the hell ya gonna use it for?"

............Inspection. Inspection of ground lathe and milling tool bits, drill bits, endmills, reamers, carbide insert tooling, gageing and setting angles, checking radiuses, cleaning my fingernails, etc & etc. ABout the first thing I checked was a boring bar with a carbide insert cutter whose finish seemed to be suffering. I didn't know if it was buildup or if it was deteriorating. It was a 221 insert so was pretty small, with it's cutting point even smaller. Under 20x it was easily seen that the radius on the point had eroded during use and it was no longer a smooth surface.

The problem that causes is one the integrity is gone you can no longer count on it's cutting correctly over the distance you might need. Those jagged looking pieces (under magnification) lack support and as the tool feeds, can break off and cause a dimension change on the ID of the part you're working. And yes you can check mould cavities with it, and see all manner of stuff.

...............Buckshot

Dye
04-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Buckshot
The instructions are not necessary, What you are seeing is my problem. I have a objective 5/ 0.1 160/0.17 that you can try. That will be the max power that is usable in My opinion.
Be carefull Dye

pumpguy
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Nice find Buckshot! If you have kids or grandkids, you can entertain them for hours. Try looking at butterfly wings, orange peels, moldy cheese or bread, beetle backs, hair, skin..... They will be in awe for hours!!

nvbirdman
04-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Now you can pull a boolit out of the backstop and compare the rifling with a boolit that you know was fired in your gun and be sure whether or not you have recovered your own boolit. That alone should justify the cost.

scrapcan
04-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Can you get a comparator/graduated eyepice for it? That would be a great setup if you had a scale that you could read. When I was in college I used the stereo microscopes that had metric acales for a multitude of chores besides teh sanctioned laboratory use.

Lee
04-06-2007, 12:53 AM
BuckShot, they're jealous. Just ignore them and they'll go away.
BTW, mines a Bausch & Lombe, an it's BIGGER'n yours!! Nyah..Nyah..Nyah..Nyah...Nyah..............[smilie=w:

.............( Jus' kiddin'. Your reasons are spot on. And the same reasons I use mine for.....Lee:wink:

Four Fingers of Death
04-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Nice find Buckshot! I need on of those because my eyes just don't cut it with fine work any more. I also need a portable barrel inspector, endoscope sorta thing. Any ideas?

Scrounger
04-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Ideas, Mick? I got more of them than I have dollars for sure. Look these over. Also lots of them on EBAY.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Magnifier-Magnifying-Light-Floor/dp/B000KLZK22

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-products/1-470/2-44744/bb/magnifying%20glass%20on%20stand,Stand%20Magnifiers ,magnifying%20glass%20reading,Desktop%20Magnifying %20Glass,magnifying%20glass%20for%20reading,Magnif ier%20With%20Stand,magnify.htm

http://www.action-electronics.com/magnifiers.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Magnifier-with-Stand/dp/B0001X09FM

Another little hint when it comes to buying stuff by mail. Most people are just too lazy to order something even when you tell them where you got it. And shipping 2 or 3 items doesn't cost a lot more than shipping just one. So when I found a gadget I fancied, I'd buy 2 or 3 or 4 of them and sell them to my fellow addicts for profit enough to pay for mine. Most definitely preferable to loaning mine out to be lost or abused.

Buckshot
04-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Dye, "What you are seeing is my problem. I have a objective 5/ 0.1 160/0.17 that you can try."

............I'm not following?

............Buckshot

Bret4207
04-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Tpr Brett, "Ok, good for you, but I gotta ask. How in the world do you justify that one to your wife?"

.............I don't think she cares much. We've been married 32 years and she knows I like 'stuff'. One time at the big LA gunshow I was rummageing around in several cardboard boxes of leather goods. I pulled out this cartridge pouch (I think) about the size of a 20 rnd box of rifle cartridges. Swiss made and a magnificent piece of work. She asked what I was going to use it for? I said I had no idea, but for $7 I couldn't pass it up. Is that an indicator of a problem?"

32 years? I only gotta wait another 9 years and no more "looks"?! Hey, I can do that standing on my head. HAR! Truthfully I find she notices guns, tools, small stuff much less than tractors, broke down trucks, trailers and my thrashing machine. That thrasher sits in the mow of the barn and is a constant source of irritation to her for some reason. She calls it my "monstrosity" and even explaining thats I got it in working order for $100.00 doesn't quiet her. Huh. Women.

Dye
04-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Buckshot
When I got my microscope I was using it at 100X and the light was making reflections that thought was antimony in the alloy and some other things but now that I changed to a softer light it is better or (I am getting a little smarter than a hunk of glass)
I have an extra 5x objective you can borrow to try on your microscope ,most of the Chineese use the same threads

Be carefull Dye

georgeld
04-08-2007, 03:37 AM
I've always wanted one of them. May just bid o nthe next one.

Same as a big telescope. Visisted a friend and she had a 400x but couldn't find the eyepiece lense's for it. She said I could have it for five bucks and she'd send them when they were found.
Almost gave up getting them. But, she did finally. Am having a blast looking in windows half mile away, hehe!! AND the moon. Just wish I knew where those footprints were I'd try to see 'em.

Can anyone tell me which of those two biggest "seas" is Tranquility??

I find it interesting to see all those high mtns up there that look like they've got snowpack on 'em. I know better, but, they still look that way.