PDA

View Full Version : Learning to load the 9mm

glw
04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
I usually only load straight wall pistol ammo. Lots of 38 Special, 357 Mag and 44 Mag. They are easy. But loading these short little rounds is a bit more trouble. Now I know why they are called "parabellum" (prepare for war). They must have been called this by folks who tried to reload them, as this is the mindset you need if you are going to succeed.

First I had to figure out the OAL. The loadbooks didn't help a bit. Loading to the length of a factory round didn't help a bit either, as the bullet I was loading is more rounded than FMJ bullets. (I loaded using the Missouri Bullet 124 grain bullet.) So, of course, the first bullets I loaded were too long. Then I finally figured out a good length.

And I second-guessed the load, and now with the shorter OAL I don't feel comfortable with the powder charge. I'm glad that I have a bullet puller! (I think my puller reads "For use with 9mm" written on the side of it. I think they were trying to prepare me for the inevitable.)

I also wanted to load 115 grain XTPs. Of course, that takes a different OAL, so now I need to figure out that OAL! By now I am pro at this, and it doesn't take long to find a good length. (And no, the loadbooks didn't help even with this bullet! Grrrrr!)

But finding directions on how to set up a taper crimp wasn't so easy. I ended up setting my crimp too tight. This resulted in flaring the edge on the case, thereby increasing the diameter of the case. The case still went in the chamber, but seems to have caused some problems with the case ejecting. Grrrrr!

I still haven't figured out everything with this round, but I'm getting closer. I was using the Lee FCD, and yes my lead bullets were undersize. Whether having too tight a crimp shrunk the bullets or the FCD, I don't know. But I stopped using the FCD so maybe that problem is fixed, too. I have some leading with the lead bullets. Maybe that is just because I tried turning them into 32 cal. bullets using the crimp die.

I have been obtaining some molds, lead, ladles, etc., but haven't yet had the time to pour any lead. Once I do, then I can come back here and complain why the bullets are too small. :-) Hopefully not.

Reloading is fun. I have been doing for 6 or 7 years, having started with a Lee Loader for 38 Spec./357 Mag. The 9mm has been a new learning experience for me. I expect some of you can relate to this adventure.

Glenn

marvelshooter
04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you are making good progress towards mastering loading 9mm. You are correct that most data is not much help with OAL. I have been preaching for a while now to let the barrel tell you how long to load the cartridge. The same goes for .45 ACP and I am sure it would be the same for other auto pistol loads if I loaded for them. I have read a lot about crimp and various specs for it and have found that for the 9mm as well as the .45 all that is required is enough to remove the flare. I am sure I will get those who disagree but it works for me. You are right that reloading is fun.

Old Caster
04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Pull some of your bullets after loading to see how small they have been swaged . You will be surprised unless the bullets are really hard. -- Bill --

glw
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I've been learning a lot about loading auto pistol rounds. I can make rounds that physically fit and function, but I haven't yet tried to find the most accurate rounds. That will come in time. I plan to pull a round to see if the bullet is swagged smaller.

I've been learning a lot on the forums, even though I haven't yet started casting.

Glenn

MtGun44
04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Look at the sticky on "Setting up a 9mm for boolits", might help a bit.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121607

Bill

captaint
04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Glad that one made it to Sticky status. That's where it belongs IMHO.. enjoy Mike

glw
04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi Bill,

Yes, that is a helpful sticky. I need to slug the barrel and then see what mold I need. I might try the Lee 358-105 swc that you recommend. It looks like a good bullet, and will serve double-duty in my 38 Specials.

Thanks!
Glenn