PDA

View Full Version : Lee Powder Measure exceeds expectations

lemming
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
When I load rifle ammo, I weigh each charge on a beam scale. Today, just for kicks, I set up my Lee powder measure to throw the charge I planned to use (26.0 gn RL7; to go with hard cast quenched 170gn Lyman 311 in 303 British). The idea was to throw each charge from the measure, then weigh it on the scale and fine tune it with a trickler. Usually I use a Lee yellow scoop to measure the approximate starting charge.

I loaded 25 rounds. 22 of the 25 charges thrown from the powder measure weighed *exactly* 26.0 gn - no adjustment needed. The other 3 were approx 0.1 gn light, requiring a turn or two on the trickler knob.

Couple of times, I felt a granule of powder get cut as I worked the lever. Each of those times, the charge came out exactly 26 gn.

Impressive, or what? I abandoned all thoughts of metering powder direct from powder measure to case without weighing on a scale many years ago, when I ran 10 charges from my Lyman 55 and found it threw =/- 0.2, with only 2 charges throwing the true weight required. Might reconsider that decision if the next batch of charges produces similar results.

When using the Lee measure, I do everything kind of in slow motion - *slowly* raise the arm, count to three, *slowly* bring it down again, lightly tap drop tube with fingernail before removing scale weighing pan from under tube.

Bench-rest precision from a cheap & nasty plastic powder measure? Who'd have thought it!

Lead Fred
04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
We use the dippers for 308 and other lead spitter rounds. Also handgun rounds.
Id never use a Lee scale. RCBS rules there.

jcwit
04-11-2012, 07:21 PM
The Lee powder measure is for sure a very accurate measure, especially when broken in.

DLCTEX
04-11-2012, 07:54 PM
I really like both the Lee PPM and Auto disc. They beat my RCBS and Lyman 55 PM for accuracy every time. Can't say much for the Lee powder scale. I have Lee, RCBS, Ohler?, and Lyman scales and use the RCBS, maybe because I bought mine 30 years ago and it hasn't let me down yet. Before that I used an oil dampened beam scale that I don't recall what the brand was, maybe Herter's.

edsmith
04-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I have a lee perfect pm, a pro auto disk, and a rcbs uniflo measure, the rcbs stays in a drawer. I have a lee scale and a rcbs 5-0-5 . the lee stays boxed up.

r1kk1
04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I didn't think RL-7 caused measurers grief. I don't use Lee measurers but honestly, the powder meters nicely. 800X and if I remember right, 3031 use to separate the measurers for me.

take care,

r1kk1

r1kk1
04-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I meant 800x and 3031 would make or break various powder measures for me. Bought a few and sold most of them over the years.

take care

r1kk1

Cowboy T
04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
The Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure is equally consistent, within 0.1gr of powder with at least 2400, Titegroup, and Bullseye. Sometimes, yes, that "cheap plastic" turns out to work really well.

Mike Kerr
04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Amazing is it not. That tap with the finger on the side of the hopper is "my key" to consistent powder throws with the PP Measure. Works like a charm. Glad you had good results and thanks for posting. All for under $25 bucks.

regards,

:-D:-D:-D

lemming
04-14-2012, 05:13 PM
When I first got my Lee PPM, I tested it by throwing and weighing 10 charges of 4gn Bullseye, and got very poor results - +/- 0.4gn. I nearly threw it in the trash at that point; instead (fortunately) I emailed the tech support people at Lee asking what the tolerances on this unit were supposed to be.

By return of e-mail I got a polite, patient reply, basically telling me to treat the PPM as a precision instrument rather than a try-your-strength machine, and how to tune the drum retaining screw.

I did as they suggested, and guess what; accurate to within +/- 0.1 gn Bullseye...

In spite of which, I've kept my Lyman 55 as a dedicated 4-grains-of-Bullseye dispenser and used the PPM over the winter for loading 410 shotshell. Now it's the start of the long-range target rifle season here in the UK, and I need a constant supply of 303 and 7.62 X 54R. I think those jobs are going to be considerably quicker and easier this year!

Franklin Zeman
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Has anyone had success dropping decently accurate pistol charges using this powder ????????????? I have to weigh every single one. It also seems to spit when used on revolvers.