PDA

View Full Version : First swaged bullet.....

lukewmtdew
04-11-2012, 06:01 PM
There's a wrinkle pretty much where a cane lure would be and it does not seem like the hp nose forming doomawhatchathingy went deep enough

BT Sniper
04-11-2012, 06:17 PM
I'll get it all fixed up for you. You can send it to me if need be. I'll reset it for you.

What weight cores are you using? Tumble lubed cast boolit core? Notched?

BT

lukewmtdew
04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
picture?

lukewmtdew
04-11-2012, 06:20 PM
124 tumble lube

no notch

maybe i should pm u instead of posting?

BT Sniper
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
The 124 TL should work just fine. It does sound like the HP is not adjusted low enough for you. You can send me some cores and jackets with the die and I'll reset it for you.

Looked up my records, yep no notch, no problem, might need a bigger HP punch.

Wait one last thing to try...... did you use the universal die and mandrel to push the core to the bottom of the jacket before formign the bullet?

BT

lukewmtdew
04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I did expand with that die then tried to push it down a little more but it didn't go down any farther....the cast bullet was placed with the tip down so I could see where I cut the sprue off the bottom of the bullet was flush with the case mouth....

runfiverun
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
turn the boolit over, the case is not liking the air space at the bottom.
if you have a core seater use that first and try again.
make sure you are annealing the cases,and run the handle slowly.

lukewmtdew
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I know I only tried one maybe I should have tried a few....

BT Sniper
04-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I did expand with that die then tried to push it down a little more but it didn't go down any farther....the cast bullet was placed with the tip down so I could see where I cut the sprue off the bottom of the bullet was flush with the case mouth....

You are doing it correct. I may need to adjust the die or make a longer HP design for you.

Try a few more bullets. Make sure the case is good and annealed. Try adjusting the HP stop bolt down a 1/8" turn at a time, see if that makes a difference.

If all else fails send it to me I'll set it back up for you.

BT

lukewmtdew
04-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Which die is that on? I'm pretty sure they r annealed I can crush them with my fingers

Thanks bt!

U have a classic cast press don't u?

BT Sniper
04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Yep I have a Lee CC. I may have got you confused with another customer that lost his setting with his die and the lock nuts I preset. Your settings should be good. Make a witness mark with a perminate pen if you decide to adjust anything so you can return to orginal setting.

Do let me kwow if you need further help and I'll be happy to do what I can.

BT

lukewmtdew
04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
The only setting I changed was on the nose form die? The large nut with the set screw in it

BT Sniper
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Yep you should be good to go. Try a few more and if still no luck let me know. We'll get it taken care of.

BT

a.squibload
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
maybe i should pm u instead of posting?

Naah, then we couldn't butt in...
er, I mean "help out".

By all means try adjusting the top knob on the swage die.
Just a little at a time (like BT says, 1/8 turn).
You can reach in the bottom with a little finger and feel the HollowPoint pin,
push it up a little. That's the swage die. Has the ejector bolt sticking out the top.

Stop me if I type too much!

If you're not weighing each case and each core (I usually don't), some of the
boolits will fill up to the mouth, and some won't. You'll see when you get close.
If you get the HP pin too low it will make "fins" around the HP mouth, some lead
sticking out. Back off a little.

When I expand the case, I use the same die to push the core in nose first.
Leaves a dimple on the base of the core. Give it a little force to seat it good.
If you push too hard it will bulge the case a little.

Just thought, I get better boolits if I use a TINY bit if lube on each boolit,
barely touch the lube with a finger and run it around the case.

Swage a bunch to get a feel for it, if you destroy a few boolits you can melt 'em again.
Push one up in there part way, pull it out (they look pretty good even with
a partial nose, like a big wadcutter), then swage it again a little more.

I use a Lee Classic Cast, works fine.

OK tell me to stop now...

Utah Shooter
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I just.

Utah Shooter
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Have.

Utah Shooter
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
To ask?

Utah Shooter
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Why post like this? :)

BT Sniper
04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Is it bothering anyone?

Utah Shooter
04-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Yeah. I am sure it does most. Why fake your numbers? On Snipers Hide you have to have 100 posts before you can sell anything. Kinda makes it so you have to "put an effort" into the sight. If I did it like this I could sell stuff in 2 hours instead of the 6 months it took me.

Kinda poking but.... Yeah. A response 4 times in a row every 45 seconds? Come on now? Have you ever done that BT?

Now do not get upset OP. Just saying my opinion. You would not be the first I have said this to. Just do not say I am a newb like most do. :)

Mooseman
04-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Why post like this? :)

This is becoming a Forrest Gump moment...
PUH LEASE !

Utah Shooter
04-12-2012, 12:55 AM
This is becoming a Forrest Gump moment...
PUH LEASE !

"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

runfiverun
04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
wow.
i didn't know you could make shrimp burger, i have had shrimp jerky before though.

when i do mine i have my die set tight for rem/speer cases.
a mark i back off to slightly for fed cases.
and another for win cases.
they are this close and i have done enough with my core/jackets that i got things set just so.
practice on a few, and don't over do the lube, it don't take much to make wrinkles.

waksupi
04-12-2012, 01:27 AM
That don't work here. We delete those type posts if you are under count, and under time.

Mooseman
04-12-2012, 02:03 AM
"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

Nothing to do with shrimp...But more along the line of "Stupid is as............"

BT Sniper
04-12-2012, 04:02 AM
That don't work here. We delete those type posts if you are under count, and under time.

???? I'm lost ???? What's up?

Where still shooting and making bullets/boolits here right?

BT

Mooseman
04-12-2012, 05:31 AM
???? I'm lost ???? What's up?

Where still shooting and making bullets/boolits here right?

BT

Waksupi is talking about useless" few word" posts to get enough to use swap and sell...
Posts have to be meaningful and not in the PIT to count here...
I have merged some of them into 2 posts.
We are still makin and shooting Bullets and Boolits !!!
Rich

lukewmtdew
04-12-2012, 06:03 AM
I'm on my phone and I reply then reread what I just wrote... Also y I get runon sentences all the time!

Well I tried a few more (before reading all those posts) the ones I pushed the core (tip up) the base of the cast boolit must have hit the webbing and bulged the case I couldn't get it to go into the nose forming die then tried again with the tip down and this time it went in the nose forming die but didn't make much of a nose

The boolit mold I have is the tumble lube truncated cone 124 gr

Let me read some more here maybe try adjusting the die

I wish I could upload pix maybe I could post a YouTube video bt would you mind if I made one and used your name? Something along the lines of "noob tries bt sniper 9mm into 40 swage die"

a.squibload
04-13-2012, 09:23 PM
"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea...

I know it's a quote from a literary masterpiece (:kidding: ) but "shrimp sushi"
was left out. Anyway stop it you made me hungry.

Here's a pop-quiz, which 44 boolit is not like the others?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-XVDix3dUbBM/T4jP8EL1UxI/AAAAAAAAAa8/j8jXKQ-01qw/s631/error.JPG

I bell the case mouth and seat the core with a .40 expander die.
Sometimes it bells a little more when seating the core.
I wasn't careful shoving this one up into the swage die.
A .357 expander die doesn't bell the .40 mouth, might try a .44 expander
but it's bigger than the .40 so might do the same thing.

PS: Luke, join Gmail (free), click "more" and "photos", store bunches of photos on Picasaweb,
view a photo, right-click it, click "copy image location", then paste that into your post here.