PDA

View Full Version : RCBS & Lee Dies

confederatemule
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I have all three of these die sets. If they are all three the same I would like to keep only one. If they are different, in any way, as far as the job they do, I'll keep all three.
Help, please. What is the difference between a,

RCBS, .30-06 Semi Auto, 2 Die Set, group A, part #14841

and a,

RCBS, .30-06, S.B.[small base] 2 Die Set, part #14803

and a,

Lee, .30-06 Springfield, 2 Die Set, part #90880

Thanks for any help.

Mule

gwpercle
04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
The three sets are not the same. The Lee set will resize to standard specifications for resized cases... almost back to a new unfired case size, good for bolt action and most factory chambers. The RCBS dies will resize the fired cases to smaller dimensions than standard for use in semi-auto's and for guns with minimum ( tight ) chambers. I am not sure which RCBS set has the smallest dimensions but do know the small base dies are somtimes needed in lever action or other actions that do not have a mauser type extractor .

My advice is to keep all three... you never know what type rifle you might come across in the future and just might need them . gary

remy3424
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
the first set I think were the dies RCBS sold in the flimsy plastic packages, not sure what was different about them than the ones in the study green traditional boxes, but they were cheaper. You say "semi-auto"...maybe they are a small base set, they just make everything a touch small to make sure everything chambers easily.

2nd on is the traditional RCBS dies in small base, as stated for auto-loaders or lever action firearms.

The Lees I think are just their standard dies, a full length sizer and a bullet seater. They bring the fired cases back to normal specs., not a touch smaller like the small base dies. Used for bolt or single shot firearms.

1hole
04-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Small base dies restore the cases to factory minimum specs. Most 'standard' dies leave the heads around 2-3 thou larger than SAAMI minimums because it's easier on the cases and very few rifles will have any problem with that. Including autos and levers.

There is no effective, or average, difference between the standard sizing dies of any maker. Sizer dies are all made to standard SAAMI tolerance specifications, which is a tolerance range, not a specific point; any anything within that ranger is fully "in tolerance' so devoted claims about any brand of dies being made to tighter tolerances is an error (aka, "BS"); there is as much average difference between individual dies of the same maker as there is between makers. Most standard dies are quite good and any small differences between standard dies and the only two premium makers - Forster and Redding - are due to the design (mostly of the seaters), not the tolerances.

milprileb
04-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Call RCBS. I think their tech rep will tel you both RCBS sets are the same: small base dies for semi auto use.

If you shoot semi auto and bolt 3006 rifles, Keep the Lee and one set of RCBS, sell off the other excess set.

FWIW: YMMV, good luck

r1kk1
04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Speaking of Lee dies, have they increased the length of the die body? I received a custom bullet sizing die that is the same length as the old stock.

just curious,

r1kk1

confederatemule
04-12-2012, 02:12 PM
I did as milprileb suggested. I called RCBS. The 14841 and the 14803 are not the same.

The post by gwpercle was right with what I was told on the phone.

The RCBS .30-06, part #14841 is a RS [reloaders special] full length die set. Sizes to standard size. May not work in all semi-auto rifles, especially those with chambers that have close tolerances. This set was a little less expensive because it was packaged differently and had to be assembled by purchaser, hence the "RS".

The RCBS .30-06 SB[small base], part #14803 full length die set. Sizes to .002" smaller than minimum standard size. Will work in all semi-auto rifles.

I, also, called Lee Precision.

The Lee .30-06 Springfield, part #90880 is a full length die set. Sizes to standard size. Will work reliably in all guns.}

Thanks to "all" who replied. All replies were helpful.

Mule