PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 3.8" XDM 9mm Success

remy3424
04-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I have been tinkerin with a Lee round nose and my XDM for a couple weeks and I finally am getting somewhere. Using a .357 die, 50/50 lube, 4.0 of unique was leading way too much, accuracy was OK. Well, I "polished" the barrel with JB paste AND switched to 4.0 of WSF and after 34 rounds, the barrel was almost as clean as j-words! The gun has had over 1,000 j-words down her to break it in. Just got thinkin....maybe it wasn't the powder, maybe the polishing??? I will have to try the Unique again to confirm. The alloy was a batch of stick-on ww that included some strange, maybe Japanese, ones, I forget what markings they had, but remember the were harder than other stick-on weights but would cut with a side-cutter. Maybe some extra tin in them??? Anyway those ingots "ring" when I drop them, unlike other soft lead ingots. I will have to try coww also to figure out why I had this recent success. I WAS EXCITED TO SAY THE LEAST, when I looked down the barrel.... now recreate it in mass quantities! My friends ask me why I pi$$ with this.....well if I can get this little 9 to do that again, I can shoot for a fraction of using j-words and have the satisfaction of knowing I got it done...with a little help from the fellas here.

MtGun44
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Might save you some work, but it sounds like you are already doing
some good work.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121607

Bill

remy3424
04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Oh ya Bill, I read your thread... a couple times...otherwise I would still be scrubing the short barrel, actually, I would have probably stuck with j-works for it. After reading about many peoples failures on this cartridge and then your thread, I grabbed a mold and dove into it. First time I slugged a barrel and getting the OAL right before I fired a shot helped my progress also. I am still not sure if the JP paste or the change of powder was the result of the current success or what it was. I just hope a can do it again with a new batch of boolits. Loaded the last 49 from that casting session last night with the WSF (Win Super Field) powder. I originally bought it for boolits in a 10mm but recently bought a Lee manual and saw it listed there.

MtGun44
04-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Well,good. Glad to have helped a bit, that was the point of the post.

Sounds like you are having some fun.

Bill