PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mauser project

Coffeecup
04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm running into a couple of bumps on the road with my current Mauser project. The rifle will be mostly a teaching/loaner rifle for some of the kids coming up. I figure the kids can start with CB loads for practice and USA-factory equivalent for hunting, while retaining the option of full-power loads when needed. I'm basically planning on just taking a bubba'd K98k, shortening the barrel, and putting on decent iron sights. The sights are the current hangup.

Rear sight: I'd like to use a Williams guide peep, mounted on the rear bridge. Is the contour of the K98k close enough to that of the commercial FN action that I can use the WGRS sight for the commercial FN? Within the WGRS, is there a better option to match the profile of the K98k? (Worst case, I'll get close, D&T for the screws, and bed the sight in accraglas.)

Front sight: Argh. Is anyone making a usable barrel band front ramp, other than NEGC? I know they make nice parts--too nice for a budget project like this.

Thanks!

flounderman
04-10-2012, 08:43 PM
if I was doing it, I would scope it. you can find a cheap used tasco or bushnell scope and some weaver mount parts cheaper than iron sights and it's easier to identify your target and hit it, with a scope.

Coffeecup
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm going to this much bother because we specifically do not want a scope on the rifle: having it scoped would make it rather difficult to teach the use of iron sights. It is a confidence thing, we want the kids to learn that you don't need a scoped commercial rifle that shoots sub-MOA groups out to the moon to be a hunter.

nicholst55
04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Marble's and Williams both offer sight ramps, and Brownells carries a good assortment. I'd suggest calling them and speaking to one of their tech guys about your rear sight needs.

Coffeecup
04-10-2012, 11:34 PM
When I called some time back, Brownell's tech guy wasn't sure which rear sight--if any--would fit, and wasn't sure why I'd want a rear sight set up that way. (I wonder if he's ever seen an early BRNO 602 with the pop-up receiver sight?) He did remember to remind me three times that it would be necessary to D&T the receiver.

Neither Williams or Marbles offer a barrel band front sight ramp. Brownells only carries NEGC barrel band sights (and some target bands, but I'm not building a Palma rifle or an AR).

nicholst55
04-11-2012, 05:21 AM
When I called some time back, Brownell's tech guy wasn't sure which rear sight--if any--would fit, and wasn't sure why I'd want a rear sight set up that way. (I wonder if he's ever seen an early BRNO 602 with the pop-up receiver sight?) He did remember to remind me three times that it would be necessary to D&T the receiver.

Neither Williams or Marbles offer a barrel band front sight ramp. Brownells only carries NEGC barrel band sights (and some target bands, but I'm not building a Palma rifle or an AR).

My mistake on the barrel band front sight base; could one from a Ruger #1 be made to work? Perhaps contacting Williams directly about a rear sight would be more useful than going through a third party.

Williams Gun Sights - 800.530.9028

bruce drake
04-11-2012, 06:11 AM
A Springfield Front Sight Base is .635 in its interior diameter and could possibly fit your cutdown barrel. You have to drill a slot on the barrel for the pin that hold the base in place once you tapped it onto the barrel to a press fit.

I did this modification to a Adams and Bennett barrel this spring for a front sight to a 6.5x57 project rifle and matched it up with a Lyman 57SME rear sight.

Bruce

W.R.Buchanan
04-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Coffee: you need to measure the area of the barrel that the front sight will fit onto. There are a variety of sights available from Brownells but the kicker when ordering is you must know what size to get. Even then you may have to make a thin bushing to adapt something to your existing barrel.

As far as the rear sight goes any large ring Mauser Lyman will work as the radius cut onto the back of the sight base is the same size on all of them.

Make sure you set up to mount the base far enough forward so the aperaure doesn't foul the bolt handle as it is opened. This kind of matters as there is a somewhat narrow window that the sight can go onto.

The final point is the holes to mount the sight need to be drilled on the centerline of the bolt race on the right side. This corresponds to the centerline of the action/barrel. It is kind of difficult to find the centerline, but using the reference of the bolt race will make it easier to check.

Hope you're doing this on a mill. Otherwise a good drill jig is kind of a necessity.

Hope this helps. I am doing a similar project on my Turkish Mauser to .45ACP project using a Lyman 57 SME and a unknown clamp on front sight. I have to use a clamp on front sight because the barrel on this gun uses the Savage method of headspacing, and if it changes then the barrel will have to be moved and obviously the front sight's position will change as well.

Randy

Coffeecup
04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Nickolst55, I don't know if a Ruger banded sight could be made to work--I haven't been able to find dimensions on them yet. I will before I build another of these (if, of course, this one works out!).

Bruce, the Springfield sight band won't work--too big--I'm looking at a barrel that mic's about .608".

Randy, the rear sight (WGRS mounted on the rear receiver) was selected as the lowest profile easily-available rear sight. The Lyman sticks out too much for what I want, and tends to catch on mittens when cycling the bolt for a follow-up shot. (And if I put the last of my Lyman 48s into this project it would double the cost. :lol: )

So here's where I'm at:

After studying the front sights on a Springfield and a 1917 Enfield, I decided to make something sorta-similar. I'm going to try making a sleeve and attaching a standard screw-on ramp to the sleeve with screws and silver solder. If I go with about a .609-.610" ID on the sleeve, it should be a slip-fit with Locktite to hold it on.

For the rear sight, I ordered a couple of the WGRS for the FN. If the base won't fit the action, I'll file the sight or the action to make it fit. (Yes, I ordered 2, that gives me a replacement on hand when I mess-up the first one.)

excess650
04-12-2012, 09:03 PM
My cut down Turk 1944 K Kale has a Redfield receiver sight and Williams ramp front. I took it to my gunsmith to D&T the holes. To use the Williams Guide FN rear sight you may have to grind the rear bridge.

My barrel was shortened to 22" with a hacksaw and file. I used a Lee case trimmer with tape wrapped around the mandrel to get a countersunk muzzle. Likewise, the forend was shortened to about 8" in front of the receiver ring, and the front band refitted for a sling attachment. If I were to do over I would have shortened the barrel to 20". The stock was scraped to remove most of the dents, oil and grease. I stained it dark burgandy and put tung oil on it. After several coats of tung oil, I wet sanded it to make it smooth and more presentable, but it was too smooth, so got another coat and left kinda rough. It was intended as a truck/property maintenance rifle, so didn't need to be a showpiece. I did glass bed the action and barrel.

I shoot cast exclusively, and only with what I deem accurate loads. There is no point in high velocity if you can't hit the side of a barn from the inside. A 225gr FN travelling 1600-1800fps will drill a hole in whatever it hits.

You might want to consider a Williams ramp or Remington take-off. They don't cost much and only need a couple of holes D&T. I think I paid ~$20 for Williams front and rear on Ebay.

swheeler
04-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Banded front sight ramp for cut down k98, hum that's an easy one , Springfield Sporters K98 front sight ramp 4.00. Your barrel is .610'' at muzzle to about 17", if cut back to 18" you still have room for the ramp, perrrrrrrrrrfect

Coffeecup
04-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Using a Lee case trimmer to crown the bore is a good trick, I've filed it away. Thanks!

Going the D&T route for attaching a ramp is not an option I ever consider, for a couple of reasons. A couple bad experiences with local gunsmiths put me off working with them whenever possible--I'll sell the gun first. Second, I can't bring myself to trust those tiny little short screws, I'd feel better with more thread length.

Modifying the receiver ring is something I'll do it if I need to; like I wrote, I'm planning on fitting the sight to the receiver/receiver to sight.

Swheeler, just saw your post. I've got one of the "new" sight bases from Springfield Sporters. The ID on it is almost .620", so I didn't consider them further. I'll keep it in mind if I ever do a project like this again. I may just order an assortment to have on hand "just in case." Thanks1

nicholst55
04-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Check this out; don't know if it is even something you'd be interested in, but who knows?

Front Sight Adapter Rings (http://brassstacker.com/front-sight-adapter-ring/)

Wolfer
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I have a Turk that I put a WGRS on. I had the stripper hump ground off and D and T for scope already. I bought the one for the FN but the only way it would fit the holes was to turn it around backwards then reverse the appature. It works but if I had it to do over I'd use the standard receiver sight.

I cut my barrel off with a hacksaw and crowned with a stove bolt and valve grinding compound then drilled and tapped a Remington ramp to it. I've also soldered several ramps on over the years and have never had one come off.

With the gun mounted in a vise I tie a piece of fishing line to the back sight and stretch it up the barrel eyeballing when it looks centered with everything then mark it. Not very scientific I know but it's always worked for me. Needless to say I don't work on anybody's guns but mine.

nanuk
04-15-2012, 11:17 PM
has anyone ever tried to make their own, by welding a bar onto a pipe, then machining out the sight?

You could ream out the hole first to the proper diameter, then shape with a mill?

Perhaps GoodSteel will try that....

gunshot98
04-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey Coffee, I've got several Remington ramps and would be glad to send you one. All i do is solder it on. Works great in front of WGRS.

Coffeecup
04-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Nanuk, being the lazy sort myself, I'm going with making the band then silver-soldering on a commercial ramp--but as I said, I'm lazy. And an incompetent and under-equipped machinist. . .

Gunshot98, no thanks but I appreciate the offer. I've got a sight in the works. Someday I may even finish it!