PDA

View Full Version : Had to Call Magma

Beau Cassidy
04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
How ironic there is a post on a PID controller for Magma. The last time or 2 I cast I noticed I could not get the Master Caster hot enough to frost bullets. I chalked it up to various lame excuses. And no, I don't use a thermometer. Well today I got off work early and took tomorrow afternoon off specifically to cast. I started ladle casting some NOE Ranch Dog 165's. I was having a heck of a time getting them to fill out. I was just starting to get a little bit of a fillout after a LOT of work then started getting incomplete fillout and the spru almost instantly hardening. What the hey....? I looked into the pot and the lead around the edges was getting hard. After reaching behind me for the phone I called Magma and ordered what they call a Heat Circle or something like that. About $48. I think I am gonna order a spare. This is really putting a damper on some casting in great weather tomorrow. And no, the pot wasn't unplugged and the breaker wasn't thrown. We will see if it works.

Springfield
04-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Was it the heating band? They rarely go out, I would think the thermostat would go first. When mine starting acting up I bought a spare thermostat but went and PID'd it instead. Now it works great, and I have a spare thermostat in case I ever go back to "manual".

Beau Cassidy
04-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I called back this morning and talked to Mike. We determined it was the thermostat. Got 2 on the way.

Springfield
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM
PID! I can talk you through building one if interested.

Mal Paso
04-12-2012, 10:21 PM
+1

If you build a PID, you get a very precise Thermometer with your heat control.

bwgdog
04-12-2012, 11:12 PM
I ordered my Master pot with PID installed-Works GREAT. Nice to finally own somethig that has not been cobbled together from china.

Springfield
04-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Mine was cobbled together in California!

Beau Cassidy
04-14-2012, 08:52 PM
I am sure I will eventually make a PID. Magma shipped my thermostats from Arizona Thursday. They were sitting on my desk outside of Hotlanta Friday. Pretty dang good service in my book.

bbqncigars
04-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Go PID! You'll be glad you did. ;-)

slim400
04-16-2012, 03:56 AM
just how old is your master caster and how many houres on it

pick one up from magma put in to service last week have cast 7500 9mm so far

and it worked grate out of the box not like junk from china

fullofdays
04-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Go PID! You'll be glad you did. ;-)

The new magmas come with a pid, correct? ? I have one coming next week and want to make sure it has everything i need...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2