PDA

View Full Version : wheel weights

hiram
04-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I was in costco for a tire rotation. They now stack the wheel weights on shelving units in the tire area. They are in green boxes.

All of the boxes, except I believe for the stick-ons, say non-lead.

3006guns
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Probably a corporate decision to "go green", not to mention save themselves an expensive change over if lead is outlawed.

Are you aware of any "anti lead" sentiments in the New York area?

Stick_man
04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Yep, the Costcos around here have been "lead free" for over a year now. I asked them if I could get any used lead ones they had and they told me they had to send them all back (I don't recall if they said to corporate or to their supplier). I even offered to swap out the Fe and Zn ones I have collected but that was a no-go. I am done buying tires from Costco.

greenbud
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
yup its soon only going to be findable at the good old boys shops

NVcurmudgeon
04-10-2012, 07:10 PM
It's not just California! Tire shops in Nevada, where there are no anti-lead laws, are going to steel and/or zinc weights. My guess is that is because the distributors are catering to the verboten states and don't want to stock two lines of WW.

Adk Mike
04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Lead wheel weights are gone in New York. My tire guy said they are no longer legal. I've got a stash that will carry me awhile. Mike

leadbutt
04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Most tire stores also sell batteries. The ones ive honestly talked to have a contract with the battery supplier. They give them pennies on the dollar for the scrap. Used rotors are also in their contract. The mechanic seemed pretty pissed because they used to scrap all their metals. He said it all started when the economy turned to s*^t. The only place thats making money off the deal is the battery company.

L. Bottoms

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Our local Les Schwab tire store switched to steel about 2 years ago, They send all the used ones back with the battery cores, Cant get any. Nice thing about steel, they get to see you more often because the dang things wont stay on the wheel.

Lead Fred
04-10-2012, 08:14 PM
The enitre left coast has outlawed lead
even tho it can be found in the wild
wonder how the critters know the difference

Goatwhiskers
04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I got made fun of and critisized big time on another forum for remarks about the outlawing of lead WW. Wonder what those guys are gonna say when their source dries up? I still have a local tire shop that lets me have a 5 gal bucket--sometimes not full--when I stop in every few weeks. Gotta sort out the steel, zinc, tire stems and candy wrappers but at least nobody is a tobacco chewer. I've been able to accumulate a pretty good pile along with a bucket of stick on lead type. Goatwhiskers

JJC
04-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Yup make sure you check them. Atleast half of the clip on's are not lead anymore for the big trucks.

WILCO
04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Are you aware of any "anti lead" sentiments in the New York area?

New York outlawed all lead WW's. [smilie=s:

ErikO
04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Any state that has a city named 'Galena' should be prevented from outlawing lead wheelweights. ;)

I may just end up buying ingots from others if need be...

Lee
04-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Buddy of mine gifted me with "80#" of WW. When weighed it was closer to 50#, and after I sorted out all the Fe/Zn I was left with about 40#.
Most of the non lead was FE this time. The side cutter trick is a GREAT way to do some fast sorting. Wear gloves, or the blister will talk to you in the morning.
That's 20% scrap, and I expect to see it increase. This from a 'mom-n-pop' tire store in the boonies. Get your lead now fellas, the condor-huggers are gonna save us from ourselves ..... Lee:(