PDA

View Full Version : A .32-20 aftermarket cylinder for a O.S. Blackhawk???

klcarroll
04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
I just picked up a nice Old Style Ruger in .30 Carbine. (….According to the serial number, 1971 production.) In the brief time that I have owned it, I have already decided that this guy is definitely “A Keeper”!

….And because I’m anticipating a “Long Term Relationship”, I have been thinking that a .32-20 cylinder for it might be a worthwhile accessory investment.

Has anyone had a good experience with an independent smith who does this kind of work?? (I sure don’t want to send it to Ruger; …..Because I know they won’t be able to keep their hands off the Old Style fire control group!)

Kent

zxcvbob
04-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure you can ream .30 Carbine out to .32-20 (there's not that much difference. The main thing will be recessing the rims (or equivalent milling of the cylinder) to get enough headspace.

I just need to get the chambers of mine polished so the empties will eject without using a mallet.

klcarroll
04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure you can ream .30 Carbine out to .32-20 (there's not that much difference. The main thing will be recessing the rims (or equivalent milling of the cylinder) to get enough headspace.

I’m sure that you are correct: ……But I want to leave the original cylinder un-molested.

……Now if someone had a used .30 carbine cylinder, I would certainly be “in the market”! ……But I’m guessing that used Old Style .30 caliber cylinders are about as common as hen’s teeth!

Kent

Hickory
04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Remove the original cylinder, send gun to Ruger
for a replacement cylinder, rechamber new cylinder.

redneckdan
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
^Not an option, ruger will molest the trigger job that has been done on the gun.

You can have counter bores done by any competent machinist on a 30 carbine cylinder and leave the 30 carbine chamber. This give you the option to use 32-20 brass that has been run through 30 carbine dies or use 30 carbine that will still head space on the mouth. That was my original plan, never got aroundtoit.

I have never seen a 30 carbine cylinder for sale. An idea, contact Brian Pearce from Handloader magazine. He seems to be big on custom single actions and might know which 'smith can best offer what you want.

Also, never had an issues with cases ejecting from the chambers, even with GI spec loads.

klcarroll
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
^Not an option, ruger will molest the trigger job that has been done on the gun...........

Quite right! ........Even without the trigger work that has been done, I prefer the old style lockwork.

.......And that trigger job! ....It is simply the best trigger I have ever encountered on a Ruger Single Action! The trigger breaks as though you were snapping a fine glass rod!

(....And as the bystanders have probably surmised, I purchased this weapon from Dan.)

Kent

gunfan
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
I believe that you can obtain an original cylinder from Ruger. Failing that, you can always search out one on-line (Gunbroker might have an extra cylinder available.)

Happy hunting.

Scott

Green Frog
04-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Try Hamilton Bowen. He has the cylinder with just pilot holes or can chamber it for you.

Froggie

Bret4207
04-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Brownells was offering 30 cal cylinders for BH's a couple years back. Check there first.

colonelsanders
04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
This advice is based on the assumption the the cylinder from an old model 44 blackhawk can be fit to a new model blackhawk.

I would pick up an old model 44 magnum cylinder ream all the chambers to an exact size and install some 4140PH sleeves using a shrik fit. I pould then cut a 32-20 chamber in the new sleeves.

I would do this because I have the tools and knowhow.

You might consider contacting Alan Harton of single action service and see what he suggests his prices are pretty good.

Alternatively you might be able to request one of the aftermarket cylinders from hamilton bowen or the bochartd company be let with smaller than 0.375 pilot or even no pilots for line boring.

Just my two cents.

historicfirearms
04-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Plus one for Hamilton Bowen of Bowen Classic Arms. He is the man for single action Rugers, and a true gentleman to boot.

runfiverun
04-14-2012, 10:46 PM
have you tried a 32-20 case in it?
some of the older ones will take one and still turn.
i know the newer ones will i use 32-20 brass in mine with no alterations except to shorten the brass to the boolits crimp.

redneckdan
04-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Not enough room between the recoil shield and the cylinder. .30 carbine case head is recessed in the cylinder.

runfiverun
04-15-2012, 02:45 AM
i thought there was something different between old and new.
i'm thinking you'll want to get a 44 or older convertable 45 acp cylinder and sleeve the cylinders.
you'll have to have the back of the cylinder milled too.

btroj
04-15-2012, 07:59 AM
The 30 carbine case is not recessed into the cylinder on mine. I can clearly see the end of the case sticking out.

I have used 32-20 cases in mine also. Kind of a strange looking thing once fired as the taper of the case is gone entirely. Sadly, I have to use my 32-20 dies for sizing as the carbine dies don't size the brass enou, the 32-20 brass is much thinned at the case mouth.

Maybe I am just lucky that the 32-20 cases work in mine?

redneckdan
04-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Is yours a new model or old model? The new models have enough clearance for some brands of 32-20. The old models, at least every one i've seen, don't.

9.3X62AL
04-15-2012, 02:28 PM
I am ONE HAPPY BUYER of a very recent Blackhawk in 30 U.S. Carbine. No issues whatsoever, even with that ridiculous lock thing crammed into the grip. It's easily ignored. No extraction issues, dimensions are PERFECT.

B Troj--I wonder if the use of Starline 32-20 brass would improve things for you? It is somewhat thicker at case mouth than is W-W or R-P. I'll get around to trying some 32-20 brass in the BH sooner or later. For now, I have two 32-20 revos in the safe, and they get the W-W and R-P brass; the Starline brass gets used in the Marlin 94 CCL.

klcarroll
04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Hmmmm.........

I kinda like the "Sleeve-A-Big-Bore-Cylinder" idea: ......Mainly because one does occasionally see used cylinders on Gunbroker.

Does anyone know: ......Do I HAVE to find an "Old Style" cylinder to fit my Old Style .30 Carbine Blackhawk?? .....Or can a cylinder from a "New Style" revolver be made to fit???

.....Also; ....In general, what sort of "Fine Tuning" is required to "Fit" a cylinder to a Blackhawk??? ....Are there often Timing issues??? (This project represents "New Ground" for me.)

Kent

McLintock
04-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Been there done it with shooting 32-20 in the .30 Carbine O.M. Ruger. You can shoot the 32-20 in a 30 Carbine cylinder, but it kind of takes some additional reloading steps to do it right. Plus you need a New Model cylinder to get away from the rebated chambers in the Old Model. I finally had a special cylinder made for mine, by Alan Harton of Single Action Service in Houston, Tx. That isn't cheap but it's the way to go if you want it done right. I got the cylinder from Brownell's and Alan fitted it and chambered it, which cost $287 plus the cost of the cylinder. Here's a pic of the gun after I made it a full 32-20 by putting a .327 Federal barrel I got off Gunbroker.com in it. Before putting that barrel in it I used bullets sized to .311" in the .30 Carbine barrel and they shot great.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/1303399/7384995/400488145.jpg
The original .30 Carbine cylinder still fits it also.
McLintock

Swampman
04-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Ebay frequently has cylinders.

klcarroll
04-15-2012, 03:13 PM
@McLintock;

That's one slick piece of work you have there!!!

Kent

btroj
04-15-2012, 04:35 PM
9.32- I was sing Starline brass. It is thicker than theater brands but still far thinned at the mouth than 30 carbine brass.

I like the idea of a separate cylinder for 32-20, I just don't know if it is worth the cost.

runfiverun
04-15-2012, 05:13 PM
brad i use 313 boolits,and 32-20 dies.
the 30 carbine dies wouldn't size them quite enough.
i use mostly once fired rem brass,as that's what i find locally.

gunfan
04-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Another close comparison is the .30 Carbine, which has been offered in Ruger's single action Blackhawk revolver line since 1968.[15] The .30 Carbine was essentially the same ballistically as the .32 Winchester Self Loading, which was itself basically a rimless .32-20. The .327 Federal works at even higher pressure than the .30 Carbine (45,000 vs. 40,000 psi).[11][14] The long, 7˝ inch (19 cm) barrel of the .30 Carbine Blackhawk, with suitable loads for a handgun, offers performance levels with similar bullet weights in excess of the factory loaded .327 Federal, along with excellent accuracy. Those who favor the .30 Carbine in a revolver do so due to the excellent accuracy, flat trajectory, and low recoil, all of which the .327 Federal also provides.[16] Both custom gunsmiths working with Ruger small frame single action Single Six and commercial maker Freedom Arms began offering conversions to convert .32 H&R revolvers to .327 Federal by early 2008. Test results from the long barreled guns showed even higher velocities than the .30 Carbine, along with excellent accuracy.[17]

jblee10
04-26-2012, 12:21 AM
The 30 Carbine does have better ballistics then the 327 Mag. I was kind of shocked when Ruger backed the 327 when they already had a gun with better ballistics. The only thing is the rim of the 327 for use in double actions. For single actions, I don't mind headspacing on the mouth. And I can load the 30 Carbine anywhere from 32 Short to the 327 Fed Mag and beyond.
If you are sold on the 32/20 cylinder, buy one over sized and have it fitted to your frame. No one has mentioned barrel to cylinder gap. You might find any old cylinder, but the gap may be way too excessive.
I thought of fitting a 32/20 cylinder to my Blackhawk, but decided it wouldn't serve me very well. I'll just load to different levels.
I am thinking of fitting a 30 Streaker to my Blackhawk!

9.3X62AL
04-26-2012, 11:43 AM
The 30 Carbine Blackhawk in its original caliber is a very fine varmint rig. I've hesitated to adapt 32-20 brass to this revolver out of concern that one of those higher-pressure rounds would find its way into my Bisley Colt SAA or S&W M&P. And just having those 32-20s on hand kinda diminishes the need to monkey about with a third dimensional combo in 32-20 revolver ammo, too.

Life is good as is--Winchester brass goes with the Colt, loaded to standard pressures with .312" boolits; Rem brass goes with the S&W and its .314" sizing needs and standard pressures; Starline brass is for the Marlin 94 CCL and ranges from standard to HV pressures. All 30 Carbine brass/ammo is tailored to the BH now.