PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1876 Questions

ohiochuck
04-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I am considering an original 1876 in 45-60 that was made in 1880.
Several questions:
1. When was the change from iron to steel frames made?
2. Is there much if any difference in frame strength between the iron & steel frames?
3. If the bore is badly pitted can any reasonable accuracy be expected?
Thanks!
Jim

04-10-2012, 09:00 PM
No exact day date or answer about the transition between iron and steel receivers in the 73s and 76s. The key word is transition. The most common date used for the transition, at least for the 73s is 1880. Pretty safe to say 73 receivers made before 1880 will likely be iron. During any transition existing parts including receivers are used up until the "bin" is dry. So there is little doubt there will likely be a few iron receivers on guns made after the 1880 transition. Since 73s and 76s were made simultaneously, that 1880 transition date would probably apply to the 76s also. I've also seen the transition date as 1884. So I'll stick to the more conservative date of 1884 and make no assumptions about one vs the other. I do not know the relative strengths comparing the iron to the steel receivers of the day- one source says that a major reason for the transition at that time (still within the BP era) was that steel was easier to machine than iron.

As to the 76. Yep, a pitted bore will shoot ok and maybe even pretty well for some number of shots before fouling starts to degrade accuracy. Then cleaning is ALWAYS tougher for pitted bores. Then if you shoot BP it's even worse because the BP fouling corrosion will continue to attack the exposed surfaces of the pits for quite some time after initial cleaning. As to 76 pressure capability? yes, the 18K pressure limit (the more or less equivalent to a regular BP load) is a good number to stay UNDER. No future in pushing any of them too hard, no matter iron or steel.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-16-2012, 12:56 AM
I'd stick a liner in it if it were me. You can pick a boolet mould and get the twist rate to match that way.

Rich

Mike Brooks
04-16-2012, 04:28 AM
I'd stick a liner in it if it were me. You can pick a boolet mould and get the twist rate to match that way.

Rich

Ditto

missionary5155
04-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Good morning
Another issue you will face .. if the barrel is pitted how is the throat area ? Not uncommon for the throat area to be so large in diameter that it is near impossible to get a fat enough boolit into it to shoot well especially if you are considering smokeless.
Mike in Peru

KirkD
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I've had a couple original '76 Winchesters in 45-60. The first one I had had a pretty bore bore .... pitted, very worn rifling. With plain base bullets I could still get 4" groups at 100 yards. Gas check bullets really tightened that up to closer to 3" for a five-shot group at 100 yards. I've shot quite a few old Winchesters from the 1800's some with unbelievably awful bores. If they have any rifling left at all, even if barely visible, they still seem to shoot well with some sort of a gas check.