PDA

View Full Version : Thmpson's Bear Lube?

mktacop
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Thompson's Bear Lube? Specifically Bear Lube Cold.

I bought a couple of sticks to try for .45ACP and my initial results look promising. It seems to flow well in a Star and my barrel showed no leading after about 100 rounds with velocities around 850fps.

Just wondering if anyone else had much experience with Thompson's Lube Products? Thanks in advance.

PbHurler
04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
About 25 years ago I purchased about 50 sticks of Bear Lube Heat from Thompson, (it was made in Texas back then) The sticks were about 8" long at the time. I've still got a bunch of it & it always worked fine for me. .38 spl's to .45/70's, revolvers & rifles; either I'm damn lucky (not) or the lube has always performed quite well for me. I made the switch, wanting to get away from the "goo" of Alox (50/50) type lubes and the consistancy of Bear Lube Heat fit the bill. I also like the fact, if you like to store lubed bullets; they don't stick together. I've been recently using more Carnauba Red & really like it., although with the C-Red, I'll lube just prior to loading. It's nice to have choices.

bobthenailer
04-10-2012, 12:14 PM
A friend who at one time owned a sporting goods store gave me a sample of various Thompsons hard lubes , that they sent him as samples, all worked fine for me ! but i use hard lubes all the time and have a heater for my star L/S.

Hardcast416taylor
04-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I used Bear Cold Bear Blue for quite a few years with very fine results. It needed to be slightly warmed to work thru my 450 Lymans lubers though. I used it in about everything from 9mm up thru .375 H&H boolets. When shot indoors on pistol ranges there was always a pleasant smell from the lube. When I discovered Lars Lube I dropped off from the Cold Bear lube use in favor of Carn. Red and BAC lubes.Robert

mktacop
04-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys, no obviously negative opinions, so I think I'm going to stick with Thompson's for now. I may order some Carnauba Red to test next.