View Full Version : Any advantage to crimping a black powder load

catkiller45
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM
After all the black powder loads I have shot in the past,there are several
things I have never tried as I thoought I was doing fair with what I had done
in the past...

I have gotten some new Goex 2 F and it does not want to shoot as good
as the older stuff..So I tried a crimp on the 405 grain bullets...Not much,
just a bit..One thing I did notice was that the fouling seemed to be a little softer
than without the crimp...

And I think I am gonna experiment with adding a thin lube cookie...These 405's
do not seem to be holding enough SPG lube for me..The fouling is getting \
harder the last 3 inchs of barrel..The bullets are of 1 in 20 from Chey bullet co..

And thoughts on this are appreciated...I have heard of ONE problem with
using a crimp and that is causing the bullets to key hole ??
Mine seemed to shoot fair,but as I said I think more lube is needed,,,,,:lol:

Lead Fred
04-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Black powder fouling can be traced to mixing petrolium gunoils, and holy black.
Clean with hot water, and use Thompson's 1000+ lube, you will find fouling wipes out with out any hassle.
I use powder/veggie wad/non checked 405 boolit. Never had a lick of fouling. I lube the barrel before, and after cleaning.

MT Chambers
04-09-2012, 08:06 PM
No case neck tension, lots of case neck tension, crimp, no crimp, everyone has luck with diff. approaches, you just have to try it. One thing for sure, constantly belling and crimping case mouths will reduce useable case life.

catkiller45
04-09-2012, 08:46 PM
No case neck tension, lots of case neck tension, crimp, no crimp, everyone has luck with diff. approaches, you just have to try it. One thing for sure, constantly belling and crimping case mouths will reduce useable case life.

Yeah, I suppose your right about that..I never tried a crimp until today..I will
try and report back if anyone wants to hear about it:groner:

Kenny Wasserburger
04-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Heavy compression, with Goex, seat the bullet into the lands or use 1.5 too 2 thousands neck tension. Never had a need to Crimp a bp load in 17 plus years of shooting. Why on earth shoot 405's? get some 500's or 530 gr bullets and make that puppy work!

I have good success with lots of compression even with Swiss 1.5 in my 38-50 about .250 or so running 56.8 Grs of it behind a 330 gr Lyman Postell or the 350 grain Elipitical From BACO.

My old 45-70 liked about .250 to .280 compression with FFg Goex, bullet front driving band about .025 into the rifling and .001 too .002 neck tension, with a 500 gr 745 too the 525 grain NEI Original Ideal Postell. And the old 500 grain Govt bullet too.

Give the bullet plenty of inertia to overcome with into the rifling or Neck tension and you will have a much cleaner burning load.

This stuff is hard earned lessons.

KW
The Lunger

Lead pot
04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
A roll crimp is death to a lead or PP bullets accuracy.

herbert buckland
04-10-2012, 06:02 PM
A roll crimp is death to a lead or PP bullets accuracy.What do you think of slite taper crimp,I do like tension on my bullets but am trying to find a way were I dont have to size the neck to achive this

Kenny Wasserburger
04-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Herbert why are you worried about neck sizing to get your neck tension. Simple annealing after each shot gives you the exact same neck tension time after time and I have cases that are 15 years old and lose only one now and then and its not in the neck they crack mid body usually.

Simple easy anneal.

KW
The Lunger

Lead pot
04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Nothing wrong with a slight taper crimp as long as you dont curl the case mouth or squeeze the case to much to change the bullet shank.
I prefer to use the taper crimp die and size the case mouth down like a sizing die then I have several expander's I made by thousands for the amount of tension I want on the bullet.
This way I am not taper crimping the case with a bullet in the case.

Just my way of doing this.

catkiller45
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Herbert why are you worried about neck sizing to get your neck tension. Simple annealing after each shot gives you the exact same neck tension time after time and I have cases that are 15 years old and lose only one now and then and its not in the neck they crack mid body usually.

Simple easy anneal.

KW
The Lunger

My cases fail in the same place,never in the neck area...So,are you saying that you anneal after every loading time,or did I miss something? John:brokenima

Kenny Wasserburger
04-10-2012, 07:09 PM
I anneal after each firing.After cleaning and before Sizing the neck area.

have done so for years.

KW
The Lunger

nwellons
04-10-2012, 07:12 PM
And I think I am gonna experiment with adding a thin lube cookie...These 405's
do not seem to be holding enough SPG lube for me..The fouling is getting \
harder the last 3 inchs of barrel..The bullets are of 1 in 20 from Chey bullet co..

Grease cookies completely stopped the end of the barrel leading problem I had with my .42 Russian Berdan.

herbert buckland
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM

Simple easy anneal.

KW
The LungerI am shooting a Martini 577-450 in military bp shoots.The martini has a long taperd troat,if I do not slitly neck size the bullet has to be .475 to be firm in the case,this works OK, through the taper ,it sizes down to .463 at the end of the taper but if I use a .470 bullet I can seat it further out,so I have to slitly neck size to get tension.I realise this is not the way to get the best acuracy but it is the way the Martini Henry chamber is desighned,so I have to work with it.I anneal the cases slitly after every 3rd shot,I will take your advice and do it after 1 shot from now on

13Echo
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Using a 405 gr bullet for a carbine load in my Trapdoor I find I have to crimp or the fouling is bad and the accuracy terrible. With the 500gr bullet neck tension or a slight crimp is all that's needed.

Jerry Liles