PDA

View Full Version : Success on a little project :D

Rangefinder
04-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I inherited a bunch of commercially cast 9mm boolits a while back. I don't load or shoot 9mm. I hate to waste a good boolit... SO, there was a need for project time :)

I had part of an old Pacific 357 swage die for stuffing half-jackets, and was looking for an excuse to put together something for the bottom half. Wadda-ya-know, excuse found! I turned out a base punch very similar to the punch for a lee push-through, mated it to a .358 sizer for the Lyman 450 I never use anymore, mashed it all together on my Rock Chucker, and can now squish those useless 9mm TC into very usable .358 120gr SWC HP's. And boy do they fire nice in my blackhawk now! Start to finish was about an hour from the point of "Hmmm, I wonder if that would work...?" to firing the first cylinder.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l259/hillsjim/DSCF0130.jpg

Utah Shooter
04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Glad you were able to have a use for that thing. They look awesome.

GRUMPA
04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I admire folk that can do something like that, and by that I mean the ability to make something useful from something that is not. Maybe that's why I kinda admire the ability to make j-words from spent brass and some pure lead.

BT did something similar to that some time back, he took a FMJ 40cal that had exposed lead on the bottom and basically flipped it over and swaged it into a HP.

I gotta admit the creativity that some people have astounds me.

ReloaderFred
04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
That's almost exactly what I do, except I put a gas check on them before I swage them. I have Pat Marlin's .35 PB Check Maker and those go on sweet and make the bullet a little more useful for me. It also works for reject bullets with too many wrinkles. Just lube and size and then swage to another shape.

Hope this helps.

Fred

DukeInFlorida
04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
I have a swage-o-matic press with a set of SWC tools in 357 caliber. I love taking 147 grain 9mm round nose boolits, and making them into perfect little 148 grain SWC's for my 38 specials. Have done so much of that I ran out of pre-cast boolits (over 2,000), and bought the Mihec mold that makes the exact same boolit.

Lifetime supply of 9mm and 38 special boolits from one mold.