PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 free float forearm bipod

roysha
04-09-2012, 11:46 AM
How do you folks attach your bipod to the free float forearm on the AR type rifle?

The tube on my varmint configured AR is round with no provision for any bipod attachment. It does have a 4-rail gas block but that pretty much negates the advantage of the free float forearm if the bipod were attached to it.

I have been thinking of attaching a Picattiny rail to the bottom or just installing a simple sling stud and using the "Harris" type attachment. The manufacturer states that the forearm is definitely sturdy enough to do either, but they do not offer either option.

Moonie
04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm planning to drill and tap mine and add a sling stud to attach the bipod.

andremajic
04-11-2012, 07:32 AM
I looked on the inside of a commercially done free float tube, and all it has is a sling swivel stud with a nut on the other side. Probably some red loktite to keep it from working loose.

find out what threads per inch your sling swivel stud is, then get the corresponding lock nut. Should be around 8-32 or 10-32 depending on who makes the sling swivel stud.

Andy.

HodakaGA
04-11-2012, 08:12 AM
I put a Brownell's stud on mine. My tube had a small hole that I had to drill out larger. The stud attaches with a Chicago type nut. I used a little locktite for safety. I would not attempt to rely on threading a tube for the stud w/o a nut behind it. There's way too much torque on it when you sling up tight.