PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 1892's; that's right two off them!

Bigjohn
04-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Ok; so I can be a sucker; my local dealer has a few Winchester 1892 Level Action firearms in stock. These are rifle and carbines.

Now, I'm only looking at two of what he has and these two are the best of what he has.

First one; is a .32WCF (.32/20), is a rifle with a half magazine. Condition is good to very good; complete; no missing or broken parts. Semi-buckhorn rear sight with a small screw on the left hand side of the sight face.
Barrel has some minor pitting in a couple of places. Asking $350.00AUD.

Second one; is a .44WCF (.44/40), is a rifle with a half magazine. Condition is good to very good; mostly complete; one screw missing from side of forestock end cap. Very low rear sight which flips up for longer range setting (Ladder type). Barrel also has some minor pitting in a couple of places.
Asking $300.00AUD.

Now, I have some funds coming up which I could invest in these items but the man is trying to talk me into buying a Puma/Rossi M92 38spl/357mag, new at $750.00AUD.

Now, my problem is, I have no equipment to load and shoot the two Model 1892's but I currently shoot 38spl/357mag.

The Up side is that I could possibly buy all three but do I need to. It means extra casting, loading and shooting.

:coffee:
John.

dubber123
04-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Check to see if he's asking a fair book price, and if he is, buy them both. A vintage Winchester bought for a fair price is an investment, a new Puma, however will be worth much less than you paid for it for many, many years. Just my way of thinking, (and I like old stuff).

Junior1942
04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
. . . . It means extra casting, loading and shooting.

John.And that's a problem?

Four Fingers of Death
04-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Ok; so I can be a sucker; my local dealer has a few Winchester 1892 Level Action firearms in stock. These are rifle and carbines.

Now, I'm only looking at two of what he has and these two are the best of what he has.

First one; is a .32WCF (.32/20), is a rifle with a half magazine. Condition is good to very good; complete; no missing or broken parts. Semi-buckhorn rear sight with a small screw on the left hand side of the sight face.
Barrel has some minor pitting in a couple of places. Asking $350.00AUD.

Second one; is a .44WCF (.44/40), is a rifle with a half magazine. Condition is good to very good; mostly complete; one screw missing from side of forestock end cap. Very low rear sight which flips up for longer range setting (Ladder type). Barrel also has some minor pitting in a couple of places.
Asking $300.00AUD.

Now, I have some funds coming up which I could invest in these items but the man is trying to talk me into buying a Puma/Rossi M92 38spl/357mag, new at $750.00AUD.

Now, my problem is, I have no equipment to load and shoot the two Model 1892's but I currently shoot 38spl/357mag.

The Up side is that I could possibly buy all three but do I need to. It means extra casting, loading and shooting.

John.

I bought a new Rossi stainless a year ago for $585 and that is the price that was pretty standard then. Our dollar has improved so the price should be the same or close. Ring a few of the big stores and get a better idea. The 92s are always a good idea. If you want a gun to do lots of shooting with the Rossi would be a bit better, but I'd wan to be getting it a bit cheaper. I don't mind paying a bit extra to help the local guy, but I dont want to bleed for him.

Bigjohn
04-05-2007, 02:13 AM
Junior,
First; need to buy molds, dies and brass. I have the metal ready to go.

Mick,
Yes, being down this far, the local fella tends to see a captive market; no oposition.
I will keep looking, if it comes down to the wire then I might offer him a price for the pair or three.

John

lar45
04-05-2007, 02:42 AM
I wish I could find that price here.
I have an older Rossi M92 in 357mag and really like it.
You could always pick up the 2 winchesters and save them as tradeing stock. Get all 3 and have him cut you a good deal.
If I picked them up with the intent of being tradeing stock, I would probably shoot and keep them instead.
I think one down side to haveing a pile of guns is that you spend more time working up loads for them all instead of just enjoying 1 or 2 favorites.
At least I'll have stuff to pass on to the grandkids.

Buckshot
04-05-2007, 03:38 AM
................Those M92's would probably go for close to $800 apiece here.

................Buckshot

modoc
04-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Gotta agree with Buckshot, you can't find a '92 in the States for under 500 US and that one is a veritable parts gun:(. Personally, I think that both of those cartridges are "classier" than the 357 and will give you more versatility. Also as a side note, I feel that the orriginal Winchesters are better built and smoother than any Rossi ever made (own them both).

Modoc

Four Fingers of Death
04-08-2007, 03:08 AM
I'll have to have a look downstairs, I'm sure I have a 44/40 set of Super Simplex dies down there (well, I'm almost sure). I do know that I bought 2x dual cavity Lee 200Gn RNFP 44 moulds. I could pick you up some cheap brass next time I'm in Sydney and post the lot to you. A 44/40 92 would be niceeeeeeeeee! Slicker than frog snot!

I'm not going down to the garage this afternoon or I'll end up having about four hours work there, my wife has been trying to get me to do this really horrid job and I just bought a 6 pack of Crown Lager :D

I'll be down there tomorrow morning and will check it out.

By the way, that rifle I am shooting on my avitar is a Rossi 38/357. I bought it second hand and in excellent condition for $AU270. That's all they are worth second hand as they are under $AU600 new. No, you can't have it, it is near enough the cheapest rifle I have ever had and one of the best, come and see me in about 20 years, I'll be 79 then and I reckon I might be ready to sell it then. :D

Bigjohn
04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, talk about having to be in the right place at the right time!

Easter; afriend travelled down from Adelaide to visit, he brought with him a BSA Martini Cadet Rifle. This has had the barrel freshed out to .357" and is chambered for the .357" Magnum cartridge.

The foreend has been replaced with a Schnabel tipped stock and the butt stock has a semi pistol grip and check piece. The lever has been reformed to follow the pistol grip profile and is inlett into the front of the grip. The end of the lever has been reformed with a small curl of the metal. The barrel has a 6 groove rifling. The rifle is mounted with a 'ZENISON' 4 x 32 scope from a base attached to the barrel just in front of the action.

The only real problem is with factory WW 158 jhp loads, the rifle jumps and twists around a bit. It shoots very well with handloads; 50m; it is capable of a cloverleaf shaped three shot group (no paper between holes).

We only had an opportunity for a quick trial session. It looks like I will have to move the pots around on the stove and move this to the front element; in other words put this on the shopping list in front of the 1892's.

John.

Four Fingers of Death
04-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Good find mate.