PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor extractor/ejector assembly

sffar
04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Bought an 1884 Trapdoor (mfg. 1889) and have been cleaning it up. The ejector spring is very strong! Anybody have some advice on how to get the spring/spindle, extractor back in place to re-insert the hinge pin? Almost needs a tool, it seems, to lean on and compress the spring, and don't want to damage the spindle. Also, would it be a good idea to put some grease in there?
Thanks,
Sam

elk hunter
04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I put the spring and plunger in, then place the extractor in the slot and then put the breech block hinge in the slot for it and close the action and then put the pin in. Works on my 73 carbine, haven't disassembled either of my 84 models, but I would suppose it will work on them.

I don't care for grease in that sort of place as it tends to collect dirt and could cause wear.

sffar
04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
elk hunter,
Thanks very much! I tried as you said. Hinge pin didn't go in real easy–had to tap on the block hinge and extractor with a dowel and rawhide hammer and make sure the tip of the spindle landed in the divet in the extractor to close the block, and line everything up enough to drive in the hinge pin. But it worked. The breech block in place made the difference. This is a very tight action! I think I'll avoid removing the extractor in routine maintenance.
Much appreciated . .
Sam