PDA

View Full Version : I need two things please ....

Ohio Rusty
04-04-2007, 01:34 AM
First ..... If any one has one of the aluminum powder tricklers they haven't used in years and wants to unload it cheap, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Secondly, I have an old Lyman 5-0-0 balance beam I bought back in '79 or '80. Since I'm getting back into loading pistol boolets, I need some weight guides to assure me the beam is correct. I know Lyman makes them, but what I want is for someone to weigh for me on their scale: a penny, a nickel, a dime and a quarter - preferably a quarter that has the eagle on the back, not a 50 state quarter. If you would be so kind to email me the results of what each coin weighs in grains, I then can use the same coins to check my balance beam to ensure it's reading correctly. You can PM me or email off list if you prefer.: two_knives@yahoo.com
Thanx !!
Ohio Rusty

schutzen
04-04-2007, 05:52 AM
I have a trickler I never use. Pay the postage & it's yours. I'll even throw in a couple of known wieght slugs for scale checks. PM me with your address.

imashooter2
04-04-2007, 07:58 AM
I once passed a dime around to my friends to weigh on their scales:

Dillon electronic = 34.4 grains
RCBS beam = 34.7 grains
RCBS beam = 34.5 grains
Redding beam = 34.5 grains
Dillon beam = 34.6 grains
PACT electronic = 34.5 grains

I think the old adage "A man with a watch always knows what time it is, a man with two is never sure." applies.

BigSlick
04-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Coins have slight variations from one to the next. It's a great idea to use something like a coin, but the only way to get a true check would be to use the same exact coin, as in the coin one of us weighed to give you a check weight of sorts.

Better idea would be just to spring for a check weight set. Not cheap, I know, and it took quite a bit of discipline for me to shell out $30 for a set.

imashooter is right, every scale will vary a tad, based on temp, air currents, static, lighting, electrical field in the vacinity etc..

Given this, the check weights, with a known weight are invaluable. Not a big deal with a low pressure round and a mid range load, but as you can imagine, with a high pressure round near max, it can save your bacon.
________
Pregnant latina (http://www.****tube.com/categories/914/latina/videos/1)

1hole
04-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Use a box of bullets to check your scale. Put as many on the pan as it takes to balance your scale at its upper limits, then divide the total weight by the number of bullets and you should be very close for a full-scale weight check. Lower weight errors will be a fraction of the error of the maximum range weight.

The precise value of any given charge weight is largely irrelivant to us hand loaders, what we NEED is dependable consistancy! We must "develop" our own loads with our own equipment anyway so, if our scale is within say .5 grains at any point and is consistant enough to insure repeatable results we are in good shape.

Actually, a scale's accuracy could be much worse without danger IF we work our charge levels up properly. That is, it's safe if we don't go directly to some book's "max" load. I've never heard of a beam scale in good mechanical condition and properly leveled/zeroed being off more than a couple of tenths of a grain at any point.

Check weights are interesting toys, they are useful to prove my points!

KCSO
04-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Holy Cow $30
I got my check weight set at a gun show for $5. They never wear out so if your peace of mind is assured for the next xx years? PM me I might have a partial set of Pacific's around that you can have.

Edward429451
04-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I just use bullets. My buddy has an RCBS 5-0-5 like mine so we got them together and weighed bullets on both to check calibration. Works like a (cheap) charm. I also happened to find a chunk of brass bar stock that wonder of wonders, weighs exactly 505 grains. I set my 'check weights' aside to recheck at zeroing. Works for me.

Scrounger
04-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I have a lot of trouble worrying about check weights for a powder scale. I just use factory bullets, they're close enough. As long as a 50 grain bullet shows somewhere between 49 and 51 grains (2%), it's close enough if you're loading safely. We don't just select the max load suggested in the manual, set the spowder measure to drop it, and load and shoot it. Unless we're crazy, that is. Because of the multitude of variations, barrel, chamber, bullet, powder lot, etc,. we start 10% lower and work up. It doesn't matter if the final charge we decide on is a certifiable 50 grains or 49, or 51; it is whatever it says on our scale using our lot of powder in our gun. If anyone is loading so close that even a half grain difference could blow the gun up, then that person is an idiot and is too stupid to reload.

Snydley
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
+1, what Scrounger said.....Its a relative masurement....start low and work up to the sweet spot,and stop.........What your scale reads is true to itself - or +....

MGySgt
04-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Scrounger's last sentence says it all!

Drew

kodiak1
04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Agree with you 100% on that one scrounger. Man there is a few of them out there too.
Ken.

buck1
04-08-2007, 01:58 PM
My dad always said " you can set your scale with Sierra bullets" .
All the small cal bullets I checked were dead on.