PDA

View Full Version : Leniad single-shot .410 Bore/.45 Colt

gunfan
04-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Just took my NEW pistol out to the forest this afternoon. The thing is a hoot! Rifled slugs seem to shoot well, while the Winchester Personal Defense ammunition appears to be an "up close and personal" load.

This isn't the most "refined" single-shot pistol I have encountered, but for it's intended purpose, I should work reasonably well.

Any comments/suggestions?

Scott

jh45gun
04-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey as long as your happy that's all that counts I have heard the recoil is a bit stout on these but if you can handle it why not. I think they are a bit over priced for what you get but then I am spoiled with a Encore with a 12 inch 45/410 barrel that is choked for longer ranges with the 410 and with the 35 it is plenty accurate enough out to 25 yards.

gunfan
04-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Hey as long as your happy that's all that counts I have heard the recoil is a bit stout on these but if you can handle it why not. I think they are a bit over priced for what you get but then I am spoiled with a Encore with a 12 inch 45/410 barrel that is choked for longer ranges with the 410 and with the 35 it is plenty accurate enough out to 25 yards.

The recoil isn't as prohibitive as you might think. I paid about $70 + FFL + Shipping costs wasn't too bad. It is a "last-ditch, nasty-gram" delivery system!

The pistol isn't poorly made, but it isn't fancy either. Extracting the empty shell isn't a great deal of fun, but it works well. At "waltzing distances" it serves the purpose!

Scott

twotoescharlie
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
would like ro see a photo of it, I have one of the "super comanches" 410/45 and I like it very much.

TTC

gunfan
04-09-2012, 08:04 PM
There.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=281528985

Hang Fire
04-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Hey, for the price looks good to me and a very multifunctional fun pistol.

My 70 year old wife has a 3" cylinder Judge and it is her choice for defense. Loaded with 2 #4 shot and three triple ought buck, she keeps it close and handy at night or in the vehicle. She lets me shoot it sometimes, but leaves no doubt it is her gun.

twotoescharlie
04-10-2012, 09:31 AM
looks like it would be a handfull to shoot.

TTC

tek4260
04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Is that thing potmetal? Or is that just a coating?

gunfan
04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
It is just a coating. The little pistol shoots relatively well. It isn't much, but it works. It has but 1/2" of rifling for shooting the .45 Colt cartridge. Other than that, the .410 bore shotgun shell is it's main fodder.

Scott

gunfan
04-10-2012, 05:21 PM
looks like it would be a handfull to shoot.

TTC

It is a handful to shoot, but not unmanageable. I have seen (and shot) some abusive handguns in my time.

Scott

klcarroll
04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
AH YES!!! ........The "Liberator" reborn!! (Isn't it interesting how "last-ditch", desperation type firearms become popular in those times when the World is turning to worms???)

......I find myself wishing that they made a version in .45ACP only!

Kent

NoZombies
04-11-2012, 03:21 PM
......I find myself wishing that they made a version in .45ACP only!

Now that one I would buy!

gunfan
04-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Remember, it shoots .45 Colt too. 1/2" of rifling isn't much, but it will place it where you want it at short ranges. At this price point, if it's temporarily taken into "police custody" you won't be too torn up over it. (It saved your life when called upon, didn't it?)

Scott

klcarroll
04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Remember, it shoots .45 Colt too. 1/2" of rifling isn't much, but it will place it where you want it at short ranges........

Yeah...., Well...., The first thing to keep in mind about all of these .410/Whatever weapons is that unless you're shooting at a snake (...the no-legged kind) at a range of four feet, the .410 doesn't hold a candle to the .45 Colt or .45ACP in terms of delivered energy and DEPENDABLE stopping power!

If the manufacturer either dumped the compromise barrel, or produced a model that had a rifled barrel dedicated to a big bore round, .....then they would have a cheap, compact, "pocket stopper" that should be every bit as accurate as your typical 2" or 3" revolver. (4-5 inch groups at 50 feet.)

I would buy a couple of those!!! (Maybe more, ....If they sold them in a "six-pack"! :-D)

Kent

gunfan
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah...., Well...., The first thing to keep in mind about all of these .410/Whatever weapons is that unless you're shooting at a snake (...the no-legged kind) at a range of four feet, the .410 doesn't hold a candle to the .45 Colt or .45ACP in terms of delivered energy and DEPENDABLE stopping power!

If the manufacturer either dumped the compromise barrel, or produced a model that had a rifled barrel dedicated to a big bore round, .....then they would have a cheap, compact, "pocket stopper" that should be every bit as accurate as your typical 2" or 3" revolver. (4-5 inch groups at 50 feet.)

I would buy a couple of those!!! (Maybe more, ....If they sold them in a "six-pack"! :-D)

Kent

That would be an easy "conversion". They have an 11" version that could have it's barrels "abbreviated" to a 3" rifled version for the .45 Colt. This could be done easily, as well as legally, without any difficulty.

This would be inexpensive, quick and effective! Why not?

Scott

klcarroll
04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
That would be an easy "conversion". They have an 11" version that could have it's barrels "abbreviated" to a 3" rifled version for the .45 Colt. This could be done easily, as well as legally, without any difficulty.

This would be inexpensive, quick and effective! Why not?

Scott

I don't see how that would address the need: .....The 11" version is also chambered for .45LC/.410; ...Which means it would have the same mickey-mouse compromise chamber and bore.

It just isn't reasonable to expect anything but mediocre accuracy when the projectile has to "jump" 1.25 inches of over-sized chamber before engaging the rifling.

Kent

tek4260
04-11-2012, 10:22 PM
How bout a 5 shooter...

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10497089/guns-for-sale-derringers/cobray-new-leinad-mr-45-410-pepper-box-pistol-judge

klcarroll
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM
I dunno: …….Maybe it’s just me! ……But I really don’t understand the fascination with these .410 combination guns.

In every single case, the manufacturer would have a much more competent weapon if they just stuck with the .45 Colt chambering!

Kent

gunfan
04-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Remember, these were designed to circumvent the SBS clause of the 1934 NFA. I am certain that you could buy plenty of revolvers that will chamber the .45 Colt cartridge.

These were built with the concept of foiling a useless piece of Federal legislation that kept the agents hired during Prohibition on the Federal payroll.

That's their raison de' etre'.

Like it or not, we have to live with it.

Scott

gunfan
04-12-2012, 02:18 PM
How bout a 5 shooter...

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10497089/guns-for-sale-derringers/cobray-new-leinad-mr-45-410-pepper-box-pistol-judge

Now THAT I would like! An instant two-handed barrel rotation would arrange for another four more shots.

Works for me!

Scott

klcarroll
04-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Remember, these were designed to circumvent the SBS clause of the 1934 NFA. I am certain that you could buy plenty of revolvers that will chamber the .45 Colt cartridge.

These were built with the concept of foiling a useless piece of Federal legislation that kept the agents hired during Prohibition on the Federal payroll.

That's their raison de' etre'.

Like it or not, we have to live with it.

Scott

I don't think you're understanding my point.

I am not suggesting a Short-Barreled Shotgun in any way, shape or form.

I AM saying that an inexpensive, single shot with a rifled bore and a "properly" dimensioned chamber would appeal to me.

I am perfectly well aware that there are plenty of revolvers chambered for .45 Colt on the market; .....And IF I wanted that large a weapon, and IF I wanted to spend $500 - $1000 for a "pocket protector", ....I would buy one!

Kent

jh45gun
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Kent I know these are a far cry from my Encore but my Encore is a solid grouse killer at 20 yards and it shoots 45 colt at 25 yards into a two inch circle plenty good for short range deer medicine. Not sure what it would do at 50 I will have to try it out but it does not seem to be very handicapped at 25 yards.

klcarroll
04-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Kent I know these are a far cry from my Encore but my Encore is a solid grouse killer at 20 yards and it shoots 45 colt at 25 yards into a two inch circle plenty good for short range deer medicine. Not sure what it would do at 50 I will have to try it out but it does not seem to be very handicapped at 25 yards.

That's remarkably good accuracy for a "compromise" chambering!! (I'm assuming that your Encore is a 45LC/410.)

Kent

gunfan
04-13-2012, 12:09 AM
A short-barreled .45 Colt derringer has the problem of too short of a barrel for too long of a case. The American Derringer company of Waco, TX had a great 4" barreled model (the #4, I believe) that chambered the .45 Colt. If that's what "floats your boat" go for it.

You might find yourself served better by a Bond Arms derringer chambered for the .45 ACP. This will provide similar ballistics from a short-barreled handgun, while offering better efficiency, and a wider range of loads.

Scott

gunfan
04-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Perhaps we could convince Cobray to manufacture an inexpensive single-barreled derringer chambered expressly for the .45 Colt. It would require but a simple adjustment for the original chamber bore ot cut only to the cartridge case depth.

Simple, no?

Scott