PDA

View Full Version : predator loads

uk fowler
04-08-2012, 11:52 AM
A little help from thoughs who shoot largeshot/buckshot loads
putting together a fox load at the moment and having a hard time getting tight patterns Iv put together a few "ugly coyote" loads off BPI website (steel powder VP65 wad) in Ts and Fs these clock 1400fps are these speeds just to fast for the large shot ?? I have three kg each of Bs Ts and Fs and dont want to through most of it at the pattern plate

thanks in advance to all at :cbpour:
UK

SuperBlazingSabots
04-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Hello UK Fowler, let me take this oppertunity to first welcome you to this wonderful family of slug shooters.
You can find faster loads here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=139560
Hope it helps.
Ajay
Video Memories
VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabot!
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

krag35
04-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Fox are little, thin skinned and light boned. B's should be fine for what you want. Most loads are overkill in my opinion, IE to much shot and to high a velocity. Try to keep your loads around 1100 FPS and get them within 30 yds.

35remington
04-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Given that pattern density fails long before the velocity becomes inadequate, even with standard speeds of 1150 to 1250 fps, the higher velocities are not a necessity. I'd be more interested in tighter patterns via buffering agents (if such loads are available) rather than more speed.

And yeah, foxes don't need such large shot. #2 shot or BB size shot would be fine, as they are the size of a reasonably large house cat, and don't require anything much bigger.

After all, geese are shot with twos and BB shot, and they approximate fox size.

The higher pressure, faster loads do increase setback deformation of the bottom layers of shot due to inertial issues. A lower speed buffered load would be preferable to a faster one that lacked it.

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-09-2012, 04:46 PM
For fox, I'd suggest #4 standard 1.25 oz load.

I saw my dad shoot a coyote in the 1960's that had gotten into the yard. He cornered it in the garden, and it was about 20 yards. The coyote dropped dead with a single shot. It even broke a front leg. Gun was a plain-Jane Winchester model 12 with full choke. Shell was a factory Remington 1.25 oz and $4 shot, his "standard" for ducks and pheasants.

I've taken a few coyotes out to 30 yards with standard 12 ga 1.25 oz loads of #2 shot. They drop in their tracks. Well, actually some get knocked out of their tracks.

sledgehammer001
04-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I've always used 2 3/4 in. 1 1/4 oz. #4s at around 1250 fps. It's work for most of us in my family for 20+ years. I preffer Red Dot as my propellent. Never had a fox or coyote get away from me, out to 40 yards. Also negates the need to patch a pelt up, if you sell the fur.
Jon

uk fowler
04-14-2012, 08:54 AM
thanks for the replys driffed of topic a bit though was looking for field proven loads that people use I was looking into the larger shot sizes with the intention of getteing a sharpshooter in the smallest size. the load put up by DIXIES SLUGS looks good and the ched cases and LBC wads I have aswell as a can of blue dot