PDA

View Full Version : There is no "Smelting" going on here

Reverend Recoil
04-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Lead smelting is the chemical reduction of lead oxide ore or lead sulfate to free the metalic lead element from compound. What everyone is doing is simply cleaning up trash items from scrap lead. That is not smelting.

runfiverun
04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
yep.
but we gotta call it sumthin.
and we do return the oxides back into the alloy when we flux, so it's as close as we are gonna get.

RU shooter
04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes ,But it makes us all feel rather industrial when we call it smelting:-P

Tatume
04-08-2012, 11:59 AM
You're right, but having a distinct term to differentiate between preparation of lead alloy and the casting of actual objects (ingots or bullets, or fishing sinkers, whatever), is useful. Everyone here knows what is meant when the term "smelting" is used, so in the vernacular it is therefore correct. Another way to put it is, smelting, as it is used here, is technical jargon.

Lefty SRH
04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Lead smelting is the chemical reduction of lead oxide ore or lead sulfate to free the metalic lead element from compound. What everyone is doing is simply cleaning up trash items from scrap lead. That is not smelting.

What do you want to call it?

ku4hx
04-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Yep, that's why I like the term "blending" ... as in a recipe. Been trying not to use "smelting" since my new-shooter wife asked me to explain the difference between "casting" and "smelting". But those old fart neural pathways are hard to break or reroute.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-08-2012, 12:25 PM
i like Recycling going Green

montana_charlie
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for keeping us humble Reverend.
We don't actually flux, either.

So, when will you be publishing the dictionary of appropriate terms for us to use when describing our activities?

If you have no plans to provide us with an alternative, and you disagree with our choice of words, perhaps you would be happier on a casting forum where they speak a language you approve of.

CM

white eagle
04-08-2012, 12:44 PM
There is no "Smelting" going on here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what ever..........
its called I make boolits from it

wallenba
04-08-2012, 12:49 PM

Seper-melting. (melting/seperating):popcorn:

Longwood
04-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I suspect smelting is also correct because of the many materials we use.

It may be that a more proper word would be refining, but since most people here are fine with "Smelting", who gives a rats-***?

44man
04-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Smelt--to reduce ores by fusion in a furnace.
To obtain a metal from the ore by a process including fusion.
To melt or fuse, as a metal, smelten to melt.

Smelt, a stinky little fish.
Smelt, past tense and past participle of smell.
Since when I SMELT my lead, it STINKS so all meanings are correct. :bigsmyl2:
Nothing said here bothers me except for trying to make spruce plates, I can't get it to work and it would sure be easier then cutting steel. :veryconfu

GLL
04-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I thought everyone here "smelted" their own lead sulfide (galena) ! :)
I know all of my neighborhood wonders why we are all going blind and have teeth falling out ! ;)

Jerry

Galena samples my students get to play with:
http://www.fototime.com/FF710CEA50F2952/orig.jpg

Longwood
04-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Nothing said here bothers me except for trying to make spruce plates,

I have heard of using a cedar plank for baking a carp,,, but never a spruce plate for smelt.
:confused:Have you tried pine or fir? :confused:
Are we cooking Smelt or Carp?:confused:

Smelting lead and baking stinky fish at the same time,,,,, Hmmmmm,,,,
:bigsmyl2:

Revolver
04-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Someone pointed this out to me when I first got started but I chose to keep using the "S-word." It seems to be widely used and accepted for the most part. We could nitpick it to death, and it may not be "correct," but it works and most of us know what we mean.

I guess cleaning up filthy wheel weights could be called refining? Nah... smelting. :mrgreen:

softpoint
04-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Hmmm. Smelting could be fishing for smelt, too:popcorn:

kenyerian
04-08-2012, 02:06 PM
I love deep fried smelt. very Tasty

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I smelt something once, but it as just the chili I had for lunch

geargnasher
04-08-2012, 02:41 PM

Technically you're correct in a way, but then there is the accepted usage, which isn't entirely inaccurate, either. When I say I "smelt', I melt scrap lead, smelt it per your definition by using carbohydrates, hydrocarbons, and carbon monoxide to reduce the oxide compounds and remove trace impurities, and pour ingots. Pretty much what a real smelting operation does except they start with mostly lead oxide instead of mostly lead alloy with a relatively small oxide percentage.

There are words such as "text" used as a verb that have come into accepted usage, as well as "irregardless" which is the stupidest thing I ever heard, but is in the major dictionaries now on account of the evolution of usage. I suppose one can accept that and be happy, or not.

So, on to "spruce plate", "spur plate", "Hodgdon Tightgroup", "Alliant Reloader (insert number)", "websight", and "flux with wax", and all the other little things one can nitpick to death if they're bored and really enjoy instigation as a hobby.

Gear

Gtek
04-08-2012, 03:25 PM
You are correct by exact definition Reverend, we are SINNERS!
And what is today fellow melters, we are covered.
Happy Easter! Gtek

NoZombies
04-08-2012, 04:28 PM
As someone who has smelted iron from ore in a blast furnace, I still feel comfortable calling the initial clean up and reduction of my raw lead stores into usable ingots "smelting".

Pb2au
04-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Do not feed trolls.
The reverend is a troll. Do not feed them. That encourages them.

fishhawk
04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
We went threw all the BS on weather it's "smelting " or not many times here before. it's taking a raw material in our case WW and melting smelting or what ever you want to call it and removing impurities. You don't like the term we use for it tough go elsewhere and complain about it.

mold maker
04-08-2012, 04:55 PM
I just ignore those that nit-pick at my language, rather than listen, to hear what I have to say. I refuse to be insulted by those that, I have to look into their nose holes, instead of their eyes.
Their just showing me why their mind is so stuffy.

finishman2000
04-08-2012, 07:14 PM

thanks mom

KYCaster
04-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Rendering...........

..............words mean things.

But I don't obsess over it. You call it whatever you want and I'll call it whatever I want.......I can usually figure out what you mean.

Jerry

mdi
04-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Well la-t-da! I'm so glad you told me. I guess being the local word/vocabulary police you won't allow "pipe wrench", but insist on Stillison wrench? Anything else you wanna correct us about?

oneokie
04-08-2012, 08:03 PM
"Alliant Reloader Gear
There is no "a" in Reloder. :bigsmyl2:

oneokie
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Rendering...........

The process of obtaining lard from the fat trimmings of hogs. :popcorn:

T-Bird
04-08-2012, 08:28 PM
and usually who smelt it, dealt it

geargnasher
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
There is no "a" in Reloder. :bigsmyl2:

Yer catchin' on!

Gear

mooman76
04-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I wonder if he noticed yet that we misspell boolits?

10 ga
04-08-2012, 10:40 PM
My pet peeve is co-conspirator! If you are a conspirator it means there is more than one to begin with, you can't conspire with yourself! Excuse me, you SHOULDN'T conspire with yourself, I don't know if conspiring is better in the dark and alone but it could be. The correct use of "smelting", isn't that when you fix the holes in those good hunting pants and sox that you like so much? "Refining", that is the adding of details to the story you give the wife when you come in smelling like a brewdery, or should that be dixtillery? Now have to charge off! 10 ga

edsmith
04-08-2012, 10:54 PM
those galena crystals look good, you can make boolits and radios out of them.

Aloxite
04-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Both of my Grandpas were smelters. My father's dad would wade out into the Pacific and net buckets of smelt. My mother's dad was a chemical engineer for Reynolds Aluminum.

D Crockett
04-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I just read this from statr to finish I am sitting here laughing my butt off all this over one word this is good for some one that has had a bad like I have today thanks guys oh by the way I do not care what you call it but I call it SMELTING to he he he he D Crockett

3006guns
04-08-2012, 11:01 PM
O.K.........O.K..........I'll start using the term "primary reduction" from now on.

zxcvbob
04-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Speak for your self. Most of what I do with scrap lead I call "rendering". But I save all the oxides and black sand I get from melting range lead, and when I have enough of it I smelt it. At least half of it reduces back to lead. It's probably not economical cuz it takes a lot of energy, but I feel better about sending that much less heavy metal to the landfill.

bruce381
04-09-2012, 01:57 AM
in the lube business we have re refined base oil which is base oil derived from old drian oils that gets RE refined again to make it like new equal to virgin base oil. So you can say we are, RE SMELTING

MikeS
04-09-2012, 04:14 AM
And I guess I better not call throwing a 26lb brick of lead, 2 10lbs pieces of linotype, and some smaller ingots of tin into a dutch oven, and melting it all down 'smelting', I guess I'll calling it "mixing up another batch of #2" or maybe I should call it #1.75 as the last couple of batches had 4% tin & 4% antimony, not the full 5%!

kidmma
04-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Smelting?

The smelts should start running anytime now.
Get your dip nets. :kidding:

ku4hx
04-09-2012, 05:57 AM
My pet peeve is co-conspirator!

Mine is "irregardless". "Regardless" means without any regard. "ir" means "not" or "without". Therefore, "irregardless" is the condition where there is "not the case of no regards". So, "irregardless" is the equivalent of "regards".

And of course there's this:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

And I've always wondered if we "go fishing" why don't we "go deering"? Gotta luv da Enlish langwige.

olafhardt
04-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Does anybody actually smelt with fish? Can you say "I smelted with smelt and when I smelt it, it smelt like fish. SHE said when she smelt it smelt bad and I smelt up the whole house"?

Lizard333
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM

You beet me to it....;)

This thread started off with frighten words.

Who cares. We know what it means. Good enough.

Roundnoser
04-09-2012, 01:06 PM
My pet peeve is co-conspirator! If you are a conspirator it means there is more than one to begin with, you can't conspire with yourself! Excuse me, you SHOULDN'T conspire with yourself, I don't know if conspiring is better in the dark and alone but it could be. The correct use of "smelting", isn't that when you fix the holes in those good hunting pants and sox that you like so much? "Refining", that is the adding of details to the story you give the wife when you come in smelling like a brewdery, or should that be dixtillery? Now have to charge off! 10 ga

What if there were THREE: You and two others? -- If I spoke to you about the crime you committed with two others, wouldn't I refer to THEM as co-conspirators?

I've got it! -- Instead of smelting, we'll call it "HOMOGENIZING":idea:

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Reverend Recoil,

you are incorrect in your statement.

your definition, is actually part of the initial step in the process, called "ore-dressing." The scientific term for what we do here is extraction. It is the process by which impurities are removed from the (basic) desired metal or alloy by heating the metal/alloy to a liquid state, to better allow the removal of dross or other undesirable elements in the mix.

You might better consult a dictionary or other authority before making such sweeping assumptions to correct forum members.

My next trip up to the mines here I'll get you some pictures of the old stamping, etc machines
from the old mines nearby.

regards,

Rich

Lizard333
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM

You beet me to it....;)

This thread started off with frighten words.

Who cares. We know what it means. Good enough.

zxcvbob
04-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Does anybody actually smelt with fish? Can you say "I smelted with smelt and when I smelt it, it smelt like fish. SHE said when she smelt it smelt bad and I smelt up the whole house"?

"He who smelt it, dealt it."

:popcorn:

montana_charlie
04-09-2012, 01:18 PM
And I guess I better not call throwing a 26lb brick of lead, 2 10lbs pieces of linotype, and some smaller ingots of tin into a dutch oven, and melting it all down 'smelting', I guess I'll calling it "mixing up another batch
No, that's not 'smelting', that's 'alloying'.

I notice that the reverend didn't come back to preach another sermon ... to this unruly flock.
CM

Longwood
04-09-2012, 01:36 PM
No, that's not 'smelting', that's 'alloying'.

I notice that the reverend didn't come back to preach another sermon ... to this unruly flock.
CM

Smelt first, alloy, then refine to the, mix/alloy, you want.

Yeah,,,
This crowd probably talks in church,,,,, if their wives can drag them into one.
Shameless Heathens, one and all.

Recluse
04-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Well, here's another term for you:

BFD

:coffee:

41 mag fan
04-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Nothing said here bothers me except for trying to make spruce plates, I can't get it to work and it would sure be easier then cutting steel. :veryconfu

Is that the easy way of fluxing your "concoction" while casting?? :D:D

Well, here's another term for you:

BFD

I like it....is that like the term WGF???

melter68
04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
How about Melting the silver, sure us casting lot are cleaning the planet up, recycling the thrown away scrap:bigsmyl2:

Harter66
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Shame on you.

Melt and skim already.

Actually I catch myself saying slag all the time instead of dross.

I agree we are a clik w/our own use of American English,and its melting pot coloure.

Katya Mullethov
04-09-2012, 02:18 PM
When I do it with a bucket of pistons and timing covers I called it "drossing" .

crowbuster
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
IIIIIIIMMMMM SMMMMEEELLLTINGGGGGG. Sorry, had to do it.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fishman
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
I have a song I made up while I'm processing wheel weights. It is to the tune of "The Old Reverend with his panties in a bunch" and it goes like this:

Smelting, smelting, SMELTING!

With a rousing chorus of:

Harter66
04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Encoragable!

Fishman
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Oops, I almost forgot.

For those of you who might want to play along with a guitar whilst your wheel weights melt, here is the tablature:

D______A_______ Em

etc.

And for the chorus:

Dm_____Am______E

You are on your own with the solo.

edsmith
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
when is the CD comming out?:bigsmyl2:

Echo
04-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I see another song coming out - "Mama Don't allow no Smelting music around here!""We don't care what Mama Don't Allow - we'll make Smelting Music Any Old How!"

Render us this day our Daily Lead...

And so on...

kappy
04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Still calling it smelting. The purpose of language is to communicate. If we all call it the same thing, that makes it correct usage.

We now return to our regularly scheduled posting already in progress.

OBIII
04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I use the word "smelt" cause it makes me feel superior, to all those who simply clean debris from "mined" range lead.

clodhopper
04-09-2012, 11:13 PM
When lead is heated to the melting point, added carbon bonds with the oxides in the lead, freeing the lead from the oxygen.
Throwing sawdust on moulten lead causes a chemical reaction.
I SMELT!

bumpo628
04-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Wheel weights are the ore and smelting is the process of refining the ore into usable alloy.

pmer
04-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I thought something smelt funny here for a while.

geargnasher
04-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Still calling it smelting. The purpose of language is to communicate. If we all call it the same thing, that makes it correct usage.

We now return to our regularly scheduled posting already in progress.

Yep. For those who are unaware, it's called JARGON.

jar·gon
1    [jahr-guhn, -gon] Show IPA

noun
the language, especially the vocabulary, peculiar to a particular trade, profession, or group: medical jargon

Gear

Bret4207
04-10-2012, 07:23 AM
YEah, we don't really smelt or flux and boolits don't really obturate and we don't try to go +.001 over bore size. This has been hashed to death 10 years back. Clip, magazine, boolit, irregardless, who cares?

I note that Mr. Recoil made a drive by post......

frkelly74
04-10-2012, 07:36 AM
then what is that smell coming from the Garage that get my wife all upset?

44man
04-10-2012, 09:34 AM
then what is that smell coming from the Garage that get my wife all upset?
Stinky fish that are really good to eat? I love the things but can't catch or find them here.
I smelt outside but cast in the garage. I use wax that has a better stink for fluxing. :bigsmyl2:

zxcvbob
04-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Stinky fish that are really good to eat? I love the things but can't catch or find them here.
I smelt outside but cast in the garage. I use wax that has a better stink for fluxing. :bigsmyl2:

Try ground-up tire rubber. :holysheep

44man
04-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Try ground-up tire rubber. :holysheep
OUCH, are you CRAZY? [smilie=w:

melter68
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
smelting in my garage is better than going to the pub, at least the wife dont like the smell, i get no ear bashing then, peace and quiet:Fire:

zxcvbob
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
OUCH, are you CRAZY? [smilie=w:

My best source of scrap lead is the local indoor pistol range -- and they hang heavy black rubber mats between the targets and the backstop. So the lead has lots of paper and rubber bits mixed in. It smelts like a tire fire.

Recluse
04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
smelting in my garage is better than going to the pub, at least the wife dont like the smell, i get no ear bashing then, peace and quiet:Fire:

THIS put a huge smile on my face.

BAGTIC
04-10-2012, 11:23 AM

MELTING.

Often we add nothing to the mix. We only MELT.

In those cases where other metals are added it is properly ALLOYING.

Not only is 'smelting' incorrect it seems rather pretentious.

**oneshot**
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Smelting

Seperating Metals Evenly through Liquid Temperature control Into New Good uses.

yes we are smelting

Longwood
04-10-2012, 11:54 AM
MELTING.

pretentious

Did you misspell it?

pretendtouch

No,,,,
On second thought, I guess that, that, would be watching porn.;)

montana_charlie
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Not only is 'smelting' incorrect it seems rather pretentious.
First we got the preacher, now comes the congregation ...

Rangefinder
04-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Do we REALLY need to do this again? Seriously? Nothing like a drive-by rocket scientist... Try posting something USEFUL that CONTRIBUTES next time. There is a saying: "Speak when you can improve the silence. Otherwise, don't."

Yah, Charlie--I suspect the choir will be soon to follow, too. Think I'll change the station before the singing really picks up.

bowfin
04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Is this one of those things like .45 Long Colt?...

...because after all the experts chimed in on not having the "Long" part, it was found out there was a practical reason for the "Long" part.

bowfin
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Actually, government entities describe what we do as "secondary smelting",

as per this blurb:

Secondary lead smelting is a technology used to reclaim lead from waste

and this one:

The reclamation of lead from lead containing materials is based on existing lead smelting procedures and basic pyrometallurgy

So technically, we are not PRIMARY smelters, but are considered SECONDARY smelters...if you want to believe the government.

Rangefinder
04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
So technically, we are not PRIMARY smelters, but are considered SECONDARY smelters...if you want to believe the government.

Usually, I tend NOT to. But in this case, it sounds totally legit! I'll buy it! :D Secondary Smelting it is...

44man
04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Only words!
Like mold and mould, both mean exactly the same thing.
Some words mean many things depending on how you say them and your inflection. But inflection is also wrong.
We need to speak Spanish that takes 10 words for 1 so you need to speak VERY fast!
I need to go smelt some lead, excuse me. I have to get out of here! :mrgreen:

SlippShodd
04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Is it morally reprehensible that I refer to the last dregs of dross going back in the pot for the last time as "shake?" :rolleyes:

mike

Longwood
04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=44man;1669407]Only words!
Like mold and mould, both mean exactly the same thing.

Not if you are talking about Mold, Washington.

Longwood
04-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Is it morally reprehensible that I refer to the last dregs of dross going back in the pot for the last time as "shake?" :rolleyes:

mike

The "Shake" I hear about, [smilie=1: would probably be a better flux.
It would make the neighbors "Happy" also.

trixter
04-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I am going to "smelt", whether anyone likes it of not. I apologize if I seem rude.

bob v
04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
speaking of fish. You guys went for this one hook,line and sinker. The 'ol rev got you good LOL

masscaster
04-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Perhaps some insight.

Using the term "Smelting" is come by easy enough, except that in order to Smelt you need to use a Smelter/ Smelting Furnace.
A Smelter/ Smelting Furnace is used to Smelt (Smelting) the Lead Ore into a refined product.
This is the case with all Metal Ores.

The Lead produced from the above procedure would be poured into Ingots or Pigs.

We as casters melting down the scrap product, or even the Pigs into manageable ingots is known as Rendering.
Making an Alloy from said product is Rendering Alloy. We're also Rendering said product into Ingots for use in the Melting Pot, or Casting Furnace.

You may be wondering why we use the term Casting instead of Rendering into boolits.
As with other types of Metal the ingots/pigs are Melted down and used to make another product, thus a third step in the Metals evolution.
Lastly, the Dreaded Casting Rejects are most affectionately known as Remelting.

Step #1 Smelting
Step #2 Rendering
Step # 3 Casting

Hope this sheds a bit of light on the subject.
[smilie=s:
Jeff

bowfin
04-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Smelting uses heat and a chemical reducing agent to decompose the ore, driving off other elements as gasses or slag and leaving just the metal behind. The reducing agent is commonly a source of carbon such as coke, or in earlier times charcoal.

Isn't this us???

firefly1957
04-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I have used charcoal in the past to reduce (smelt) lead oxide from OLD batteries back into lead. It really was not worth the effort but I did get nice soft lead from it.

Elkins45
04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Smelting is a well known contraction of the phrase "it's melting". Kinda like how 'tis really means "it is".

:D

BTW my peeve is "hot water heater." Why would you need to heat hot water?

Jim
04-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Verbatim from Merriam Webster:

2- smelt, verb

Definition of SMELT

transitive verb

1: to melt or fuse (as ore) often with an accompanying chemical change usually to separate the metal.

2: refine, reduce

See smelt defined for English-language learners »

Origin of SMELT

Dutch or Low German smelten; akin to Old High German smelzan to melt, Old English meltan— more at melt
First Known Use: 1543

mold maker
04-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Smelt-Melt-render, is all just an opinion and everybody has one. That's not the only thing shared by all of us, and they all smelt awful.
Now irregardless of your opinion, I am gonna SMELT my lead, and I'll not tell you what to do with yours, but I do have an opinion about it.

Hickory
04-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I worked in an iron foundry for 28 years and we
never smelted one ounce of iron, we melted it.