PDA

View Full Version : gun mounted chrony.

wallenba
04-07-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't own a chronograph. I would like to, but feel it is a lot of extra 'stuff' to cart around. Until I stumbled onto this website. http://www.magnetospeed.com/products/magnetospeed-v1-ballistic-chronograph
It just attaches to your muzzle.
My dad always said "if it sounds too good to be true, it is". This sounds too good to be true. Anybody else out there seen this thing? It's a bit pricey, but is real slick in concept.
I never buy the newest and latest gadgets until they have been around a while and are proven.:?

rbertalotto
04-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Now that is simply brilliant. At a crowded range, this would be great.

I need to read more of the tests on their web site to see how accurate it really is.

hicard
04-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I would definitely use this more than the one I have. Might have to get it.

trooperdan
04-08-2012, 11:37 AM
First I've seen of this... how does it sense the bullet? Does it use two sensors? Very interesting!

wallenba
04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
First I've seen of this... how does it sense the bullet? Does it use two sensors? Very interesting!

From what I'm reading, it works sort of on the same principle as a metal detector. Disturbances in a magnetic field are sensed. They say in the FAQ section that it does work with lead and lead alloy bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOt2AuVUA0&feature=youtu.be

HollowPoint
04-08-2012, 02:54 PM
I wish it weren't so darn expensive.

I bought a chrono several years ago. It's been in my storage closet since I bought it.

The main reason I've never used it is because of the perceived awkwardness of lugging it around and then having to set it up with the time constraints imposed at the shooting range.

With any luck this new style of chrono will go down in price like most other electronic gizmos do over time. Even if it's just by a few more dollars. Then I can try to sell my present chrono and use the proceeds to alleviate the pain of buying this newer model.

HollowPoint

Dan Cash
04-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Cost is not so bad but I dislike the thing fastened to the end of my barrel. That will alter barrel harmonics and distort performance of the load and rules out meaningful results of groups shot while chronographing. I will staty with a conventional set up.

HollowPoint
04-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I see your point.

I wouldn't have a problem with using this device solely for it's intended purpose; which is to check the velocity of my loads.

I wouldn't bother me to do my accuracy testing as a separate operation if it meant less equipment to lug around and less time to set up as well.

Hopefully the price will come down closer to what my budget will allow.

HollowPoint

hicard
04-09-2012, 10:54 PM
How do you use this thing on a semi auto pistol? I don't think you can.

HollowPoint
04-10-2012, 11:03 PM
How do you use this thing on a semi auto pistol? I don't think you can.

It looks like it's made strictly for long guns but, with a bit of ingenuity a guy could probably put together some sort of bracket to get it to work.

If convenience is the point of the design, going through the time and trouble to make it work on a semi-auto pistol would kind of defeat the purpose a little though.

HollowPoint

popper
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
It appears to work well with plated or jacketed bullets, but they do note is is 'temperamental' with cast. I'd like to hear some posts by users with cast before I got one.

garandsrus
12-31-2012, 05:00 PM
My neighbor has one and really likes it. I believe there is a setting for cast that is supposed to work well. Since light is not needed, this works great at indoor ranges also.

uscra112
01-02-2013, 01:41 AM
I find it hard to believe that thing would stay in place for more than one or two shots from, say, a .30-06.

I'm perfectly happy with my ancient Shooting Chrony.

Pb2au
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
I find it hard to believe that thing would stay in place for more than one or two shots from, say, a .30-06.

I'm perfectly happy with my ancient Shooting Chrony.

I agree, i think it is an interesting device, but I'll bet it will take a beating on rifles. I would interested on the longevity of the device.

DCM
01-04-2013, 10:37 PM
My neighbor has one and really likes it. I believe there is a setting for cast that is supposed to work well. Since light is not needed, this works great at indoor ranges also.

Could you possibly get some range time with it??

It does sound nice for busy ranges and indoor use.

A pistol mount would be easy for ones with a light rail.