PDA

View Full Version : 410 Shotshell Fillers - Need 3/8"

DODGEM250
04-07-2012, 10:00 PM
I have found these on BPI's website, but, not really interested in paying them $10.90 shipping for $6.99 (200 each) worth of 3/8" fillers. Any suggestions ?

Kskybroom
04-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Google
Track of the Wolf
I think thay ship for less
(Maybe been wrong before)

shotman
04-08-2012, 03:32 AM
guy on feebay sells a cutter you can make your own. 3/8 is hard to hand cut ,but 1/8 is easy . Just use 3. I a 410 , 1/4in is enough un less you are going for a light shot load

UNIQUEDOT
04-08-2012, 12:28 PM
guy on feebay sells a cutter you can make your own. 3/8 is hard to hand cut ,but 1/8 is easy . Just use 3. I a 410 , 1/4in is enough un less you are going for a light shot load

Only problem with those cutters is that they are one dollar cutters. I suggest the same thing as to cutting them yourself which is what i do, but get the cutter from harbor freight for a dollar which is likely where the feebay seller buys them. BTW you can get cork tiles at walmart or any hardware store. I bought a huge supply ten or so years ago on clearance for two bucks a package and am still using them.

DODGEM250
04-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. Problem solved on this end.

DODGEM250
04-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Here' my finished 410 reloads with my homemade 410 die set. I reloaded 85 total this morning and they pattern very well. Corn cob media is an excellent filler wad.

Janoosh
04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Corn Cob Media? What a great idea! I'm experimenting with a 410 and couldn't figure out how to raise the wad column without multiple wads. Thanks! I have an SMLE 410, no choke, and got a 38 hollow base wadcutter, in a plastic wad, to fit the bore. I just hit a wall and drew a blank on the wad column. Thanks again!

UNIQUEDOT
04-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Here' my finished 410 reloads with my homemade 410 die set. I reloaded 85 total this morning and they pattern very well. Corn cob media is an excellent filler wad.

Can you adjust the bolt in order to get a deeper crimp? if so i would be interested in making one of these. I sold all of my 410 lee loaders years ago and i have been recently experimenting with 410's again. I found that by turning a .358 lee lube cutter upside down and pressing it over the shell and inserting a dowel in the other end that i can obtain factory like crimps with the remington black or gold hulls, but the winchester hulls are just too stiff. What i have finally settled on is the hot glue gun to crimp my 410 bore shells.

DODGEM250
04-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Can you adjust the bolt in order to get a deeper crimp? if so i would be interested in making one of these. I sold all of my 410 lee loaders years ago and i have been recently experimenting with 410's again. I found that by turning a .358 lee lube cutter upside down and pressing it over the shell and inserting a dowel in the other end that i can obtain factory like crimps with the remington black or gold hulls, but the winchester hulls are just too stiff. What i have finally settled on is the hot glue gun to crimp my 410 bore shells.

Yes. This is actually an older photo of my original design from a few months, I only posted this to show the crimp. The modified version of the design I have now does make the crimp deeper and it looks just like the factory crimp.

The winchester hulls is what I used in the first photo. There are 50 rounds of those. I'm not sure what your issues was with crimping them, but, I've had no issues with final crimps.

DODGEM250
04-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Corn Cob Media? What a great idea! I'm experimenting with a 410 and couldn't figure out how to raise the wad column without multiple wads. Thanks! I have an SMLE 410, no choke, and got a 38 hollow base wadcutter, in a plastic wad, to fit the bore. I just hit a wall and drew a blank on the wad column. Thanks again!

The Corn Cob media works just fine in this situation. It compresses well and it is not abrasive to the bore. You don't need to use hard-to-find components for the 410, you just need a little thought. I was concerned with the idea myself at first, but, now that I have experimented with the CC media as a wad filler replacement, I have excellent 410 reloads.

UNIQUEDOT
04-08-2012, 07:40 PM
The modified version of the design I have now does make the crimp deeper and it looks just like the factory crimp.

Would you be interested in either making me one or telling me how to make one for myself? :mrgreen:

DODGEM250
04-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Would you be interested in either making me one or telling me how to make one for myself? :mrgreen:

I'll be honest with you, this final crimp die I invented in my workshop is not a planned / blueprinted design, it was making several attempts at putting several different spare parts together from my plumbing supplies bins. It's basically a "Franken-Die".

The final crimp is not "perfect" nor is it 100% "super model", but, it closes the crimp and prevents the shot from coming out, so, it serves its purpose. I also "gauge" each shell and I have no issues with hull-bulge.

The three main components are a 2.5" section of 1/2" CPVC pipe, threaded and screwed into a 3/4" threaded gas line adapter with a compression fitting on the top side. The bolt simply runs through the adapter to create a rounded surface for the folds to be pushed in to create the final crimp while the CPVC pipe keeps the walls of the hull from bulging out.

the MS-Paint picture below is very first-grade, but, the point is show how the starter crimp is turned into a final crimp by way of the rounded bolt head inside of the CPVC pipe when the shotshell is pushed into the CPVC pipe with the press ram. I use my #5 shell plate from my .44 MAG Lee die set for the 410.

For no more complicated than it is to close the final crimp I am amazed that no one actually makes a set of dies for the 410. The pre-crimp is obvious just a $5.00 replacement part from MEC I also modified a gas pipe fitting to hold the MEC pre-crimp part in the press. If I think about it. I do a few more photos / video of how this contraption works, BUT, there has to be a guru on this forum that knows how to work with aluminum stock to make a really nice final crimp die.

You can get these compression adapters anywhere, but, here's an example of the specific pipe fitting I used. http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/ejnuw.syqbj/v/vspfiles/photos/888432-2T.jpg

DODGEM250
04-09-2012, 07:36 AM
This is my next investment however. This is the actual final crimp die from MEC. This will be retro-fitted with a gas pipe adapter to screw in to my Lee press: MEC 410 FINISH DIE #522410P (http://www.mecreloaders.com/Order/OrderItem.asp?PartNbr=100522410P&Type=P&PageId=650PartsList.asp)

http://www.mecreloaders.com/images/Parts/100522410P.jpg

DODGEM250
04-10-2012, 07:19 AM
I went ahead and bought the MEC finish die as described above. $18.00 was the final cost after USPS postage. Waiting for it to get here so I can see if what I invented is any worse or better than the $18.00 investment of something that is specifically sized for the process. Given my experience with the one I made, I probably have wasted $18.00, but, we'll see.

UNIQUEDOT
04-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I think i can probably come up with something from reading your post, but the more i think about it the hot glue gun works just fine for me. The finish die you ordered isn't the final crimp die is it? i think that is the die that tapers the the shell after it's crimped. I considered at one time buying a final crimp die from mec and adapting it to my press, but i just don't like the idea of spending money on something i really don't shoot often. I'll probably just end up sticking to the hot glue gun for now.

DODGEM250
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
I think i can probably come up with something from reading your post, but the more i think about it the hot glue gun works just fine for me. The finish die you ordered isn't the final crimp die is it? i think that is the die that tapers the the shell after it's crimped. I considered at one time buying a final crimp die from mec and adapting it to my press, but i just don't like the idea of spending money on something i really don't shoot often. I'll probably just end up sticking to the hot glue gun for now.

Yes sir, the part I just ordered is the Final Crimp" die. If you'll notice in the first picture I posted above, you'll see my homemade final crimp die, above that is the pre-crimp / taper crimp die. The one that I just ordered is in fact the final crimp.

DODGEM250
04-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, I got the crimp die from MEC today. I do notice one thing. The 410 hulls fit a lot tighter in my homemade crimp versus this professionally made product. The final crimp itself might turn out better, but, I'm concerned with hull bulge on this MEC die.

As far as construction and quality of product... it's really nice. Basically a big chunk of ABS plastic. Here's a photo of the crimp so that you can see down inside the tube to see how it's designed to make the final crimp countersink. It looks like a small ring, but, it is actually a flat top with a 1/16" deep groove around the top.

Don't mind the CB Radio in the photo, It's a repair in progress on my bench here in my shop. It made for a quick prop stand for this photo.

DODGEM250
04-11-2012, 05:30 PM
This is my MSPaint cross-section depiction of what the crimping end of the MEC final crimp die looks like. The raised section that does the crimping is the purpose of my bolt head in my homemade crimp, to countersunk the folds.

jimkim
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
I've been using dryer lint. It works pretty well.

DODGEM250
04-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I've been using dryer lint. It works pretty well.

As long as it does not come out of the bore like a flaming puff ball, rock on LOL

woody1
04-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm sure I've posted this here before, but you can make a dandy final crimp on .410's with a set of RCBS 308 Win. dies. I use the seat die and a .32 S&W wadcutter seat die but you could use any 30 cal seat die if you make it flat. Try it , you might like it. Regards, Woody

'scuse me, I prob'ly posted it in the shotgun section

DODGEM250
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm sure there are many ways out here to final crimp a 410, but, I'm finding it even harder to get my hands on some once fired 410 hulls. I may have to buy new.

woody1
04-11-2012, 11:22 PM
There's lots of hulls on Gunbroker. Not cheap but available. Regards, Woody

DODGEM250
04-12-2012, 05:08 AM
There's lots of hulls on Gunbroker. Not cheap but available. Regards, Woody

I searched GunBroker high and low a few days ago. There's several auctions for them there for sure, but, they will not be getting those prices from me. They are cheaper to buy brand new and primed from BPI for $16.59 per 100 (http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fiocchi-410-3-new_primed-hull-100_bag/productinfo/0644130/).

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/images/f4103lg.JPG

UNIQUEDOT
04-12-2012, 09:48 PM
DODGEM250, save yourself a few bucks and buy them from grafs. They are cheaper $14.59 per 100 for 3" or $12.79 per 100 2.5" and there is also a quantity discount and no ridiculous S&H charges.

DODGEM250
04-13-2012, 05:37 AM
DODGEM250, save yourself a few bucks and buy them from grafs. They are cheaper $14.59 per 100 for 3" or $12.79 per 100 2.5" and there is also a quantity discount and no ridiculous S&H charges.

I never gave Graf's a thought. They screwed me on some ammo a few years ago and would not let me return it, it was their fault, but, maybe I'll order some hulls from them, I will not order ammo from them again.

Graf . 410 / 3" Hulls (http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/2567)

UNIQUEDOT
04-13-2012, 09:06 AM
They screwed me on some ammo a few years ago and would not let me return it, it was their fault

Every one that sells ammo has the no return for any reason policy as far as i know, but i would think that if it was their fault that they should take the loss and dispose of the return properly.

DODGEM250
04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Every one that sells ammo has the no return for any reason policy as far as i know, but i would think that if it was their fault that they should take the loss and dispose of the return properly.

You would think. I do know that there is always a no-return policy on live ammo, but, the problem was that they told me one thing and then when the ammo arrived it was another. I immediately called and said, "look, you did me wrong on this order and I want to return this ammo" She said, Sorry (basically, tooooo bad, now go away) !

I said, Never again !

Duckdog
04-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Guys, it is actually easier to make overshot cards and use a roll crimper from Prescision Reloading to make a perfect roll cripmp on 410 hulls. In fact. i roll crimp everything. If your looking for once fired hulls, try prescision reloading, as I am getting once fired 3" hulls for $7 - 100. If they are not on the web site, ask them , as I just got another 500 of them. I also made a sizing die for mine as well.

DODGEM250
04-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Guys, it is actually easier to make overshot cards and use a roll crimper from Prescision Reloading to make a perfect roll cripmp on 410 hulls. In fact. i roll crimp everything. If your looking for once fired hulls, try prescision reloading, as I am getting once fired 3" hulls for $7 - 100. If they are not on the web site, ask them , as I just got another 500 of them. I also made a sizing die for mine as well.

Crimp roller costs $25.00 (http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRE&Product_Code=MMRC410&Category_Code=ROLL_CRIMPER) (without shipping) OUT OF STOCK
MEC fold crimp costs $18.00 (http://www.mecreloaders.com/Order/OrderItem.asp?PartNbr=100522410P&Type=P&PageId=8567PartsList.asp) (with shipping) IN STOCK

I opted for the MEC crimp so I could use it with my Lee press and it was cheaper. Plus I don't need the additional component of the OSC for the fold crimp. I do like the $7.00 / 100, but, what are you getting for that $7.00 ? I'd just as soon pay the $14.00 for the new primed hulls. That extra $7.00 is worth it to me to not have to deprime and prime a used hull.

Are the OF hulls you are getting primed ?

kopperl
04-20-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't crimp my reduced armadillo loads. Two eighth inch felt wads sealed with hot glue work well.

trapper9260
04-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Have anyone use wax to seal the top of the shell if some times you have a crimp that dose not seal good beside putting a over shot on before crimping

woody1
04-21-2012, 10:35 AM
YUP. Drip a little candle wax over the hole, works well for me. Have done it for years. Regards, Woody