PDA

View Full Version : Gloom despair and excessive misery

Freightman
04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I was and still am going to get a Buffalo Classic but not now, all my FFL's suppliers are out and the one said "they are very hard to find" . Might know they would get popular when I wanted one.
The FFL put a back order on it so when the supplier gets it they will reserve it.
Received the BC Tuesday, went to the range Wednesday even though we had a 30 MPH wind from the NW cutting across the range.
The rifle preformed beautifully had several loads ranging from very mild to o boy, the best were the SR4759 loads and a duplex-ed WC860 load not much difference in them. The boolit that did the best was the 405 HB from LEE and a close second was a 450g GC from LEE, had some 300 g Lyman with PB but it wasn't near as good as the other two.
I am more than happy as it group them inside 2" at 50 and I wasn't brave enough to try 100 or 200 in the wind that hard.

Nobade
04-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Might check out Gunbroker. There's lots of them there at last look.

Freightman
04-03-2007, 09:17 PM
I know but I get them wholesale not retail, and I can wait unless I come across one close to wholesale.
Thanks anyhow.

seawolfjack
04-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Hello, I was also looking at the Buffalo Classic but got the 38-55 Target instead. Nice gun I really like mine and now I'm thinking of getting a 45-70 barrel for it. Thats a pretty nice deal they have on the extra barrels. Hope ya get it soon. Have Fun

Freightman
04-04-2007, 03:17 PM
The FFL is a good friend he looked yesterday until he found one he doesn't make a penny on the guns I get. I help him when he wants to get away from the business and said that is a fringe benifit for helping him. This is a mom and pop archery and gun store he doesn't allow his wife to stay at the business alone. I sure do not blame him , he wants me to be armed when I am there .

lovedogs
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey Freight... Last year I had this same problem when looking for a BC for my Sweetheart. I called several people and even H&R. Yes, they are popular. But the main problem is that H&R is a relatively small manufacturer and they make arms by batches and then ship them out. They aren't making BC .45-70's all year all the time. They make a batch and ship them. Then they make something else. So, when the retailers run low and we can't find any it's because they've depleted the supply and H&R hasn't yet made another batch to ship out. If you are looking right after a batch has hit the street you'll find them all over. But if you're looking between batches you'll find them difficult to locate. What we did was to contact a major chain store that could check with all their stores until they found one. Scheel's came up with one within two weeks for us. You might look up the Scheel's web site and ask them if you can find one that way.

Buckshot
04-07-2007, 07:41 AM
..............When I was looking for a H&R in 38-55, I found out those and the Buffalo Classics are treated as "Alloted" rifles by Davidsons. I don't know who else is a distributer for H&R. Davidsons gets X number of them and then they're alloted out to thier retailers based upon the business percentage they do with Davidsons.

...............Buckshot

MtJerry
04-07-2007, 07:58 AM
There are two shops here in town that have themon the shelves right now.

MT Gianni
04-07-2007, 12:58 PM
There are two shops here in town that have themon the shelves right now.

Sand Coolee? or G.Falls? Gianni

Freightman
04-07-2007, 01:54 PM
will post pictures next week when it arives, should be here Tuesday.

twotrees
04-08-2007, 11:29 PM
I had one on order for over 14 months from 2 different suppliers. The first one that found one I bought it. The wife wanted to shoot in BPCR matches and the 45-70 Handy Rifle was beating her up.

If it's the 38-55 post here and I'll see if a friend in Mississippi still has one. Wouldn't you know it the day I post I found one he tells me he has had one on his shelf for 6 months and couldn't sell it, No Ammo for it. (With friends like that who needs enemy's?)

TwoTrees

rroberts
04-24-2007, 09:26 PM
When I got my BC, I picked it up used. The guy who had bought it mounted a scope on it and shot it 5 times. He claimed it did too much damage to the meat when he shot something with it. I think he just couldn't handle the recoil.

Boz330
04-25-2007, 08:01 AM
When I got my BC, I picked it up used. The guy who had bought it mounted a scope on it and shot it 5 times. He claimed it did too much damage to the meat when he shot something with it. I think he just couldn't handle the recoil.

That is a fairly light rifle, but you don't need 458 mag style loads to kill a deer. He might have done like I did with a #3 Ruger and gone to that section in the Lyman Manual. Trap Door style loads should be pleasant and accurate in the BC. Then again his loss is your gain.[smilie=1:

Bob

rroberts
04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Then again his loss is your gain.

Amen to that, I really like the rifle, trigger pull is a bit heavy, but I have the instructions on how to fix that. Just gotta find the time to do it. I figure the guy who had the rifle before me was shooting store bought. I am thinking about getting a tang sight put on it also.

Dr. A
04-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I've got 3 45-70's in a BC, Ruger #1, and a Marlin, and this BC is special. I put on a custom stock with a nice limbsaver recoil pad. Sure makes it nicer to shoot

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/Handi-rifle%20stocks.htm

Then I filled a copper tube filled with lead in the buttstock to add a couple of pounds. I then got a better sight avable from Marlin -- Williams (I think), and got to shooting. Its easy to blow a couple of hundred rounds in an afternoon. Loading the 405's with 13gr. of Trail Boss or 10gr. of Titegroup, its enough to whet your appetite for the more serious stuff. I'm trying to get a lighter load for the 500's, but that is a tougher chore. It also gets a good 150fps more than either the Marlin or Ruger with a given higher pressure load. That puts the 300gr. j-words in the 2400fps catagory. More than I need!

nicholst55
05-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Does anyone besides me shoot black powder in theirs? It's a blast, and the recoil is quite tame!

Frank46
05-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Freightman, went to a local show here in loosiana. two buffalo classics were on display for sale. Unfortunately an elderly 94 winnie followed me home. Anyway, the 38-55 was going for about $370 and the 45-70 for a bit more. But the more I looked at the 38-55 it kinda grew on me. Was the cause for some serious thought.
Anything I should know about as far as tight chambers, oversized bores or whatever you can think of?. I have the group buy "whopper" 265gr 375 mold and the lyman gc 375 mold. And just may have a bag of 50 winchester 38-55 cases somewhere. I do have a set of redding 375 win dies could these be used to load up the 38-55 cases?. Anyone else who has one of these rifles is more than welcome to chime in. Thanks, Frank

Freightman
05-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Don't have the 38/55 but the 45/70 has no throat so you have to load the boolits close, which doesn't hurt the accuracy as far as I have seen. Haven't had a chance to do as much as I want as I am working more than I want, I am retired but boredom and just enough money to live on has me working part time that has turned into more, but I can buy more guns and powder.

Frank46
05-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Freightman, I probably have enough guns to choke a horse. But the 38-55 did seem to be pretty interesting. You know the story, if its interesting I can shoot it. I've always had a sneaking admiration for the old time schutzen calibers. Think this is the omly way I will get to enjoy at least one of them. Now if ruger would start a run of #1's in 32-20, 32-40, 38-55 and possibly a few others I for one would think that they would sell a bunch of them. But with nice long bbls probably 28" long not them skinny tubes. I still think my #1 in 45-70 looks more like a carbine than rifle. Frank