PDA

View Full Version : marlin 1895 MXLR

Budmen
04-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Are these that hard to find really or is it just where I live?[smilie=b:

I have been watching and watching for a MXLR for 4 years now and have not found one I know they were discontinued but really? I goto every gunshop within 150 miles from my house atleast 2 times a year and every gun show possible.

I have been wanting one of these so bad I bought the dies brass I even have boolits casted up for them. I went as far as to load some test loads and I also even bought some leverrevolution factory loads [smilie=1:

Does anyone know where to find them????

I have previously tried not to buy one off those pesky auction sites but times are tough now and I have even watched them for almost a month with nothing....Does anyone just hate theirs and want to sell it to me I would be a great loving owner I would shoot it and clean it and give it a nice place to sleep on my wall of levers:drinks:

Rrusse11
04-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Bud,
Yes they are hard to find. I just scored today a 450MXLR, and it was worth the hunt, and the price, a grand in the hand.
NIB, old stock, 2007 build that popped up on GunsAmerica, which I've been watching for a while on a regular basis.
2 weeks, I got a lead on a 338MXLR, thru one of these forums, same kind of price, same vintage.
Both SHOOT! Both cartridges are destined I suspect to fade away, but the ballistics on both of them put a levergun into a whole new class.
Starting to break them in, actions are good right out of the box, the trigger on the 450 is exceptional. I don't know if it's the stainless steel they used, but these babies are gonna' get really slick with a lot of cycling and some tweaking and polishing of the innards.The backyard range at my buddy's farm is the woodpile at 40yds off the back porch, right comfortable and handy to the coffeepot. Starting to get 3 shot cloverleafs/ragged holes off my plastic rest.
This without much in the way of load development yet. The 450 was truly impressive first time out. No problem for either of us to plug a 1 inch crayoned circle with a boresighted 1x3 Weaver scope. I had some trapdoor level loads, 28.5 & 31gr of AA5744 under a 300gr PB TC boolit were hitting the bull from the first shot. 50gr of Varget under the 325 Hndy FTX was in a different class of recoil and power, but 2 quick shots were overlapping.
For fun and grins, once we found out it was a shooter, the groundhog hole in the cornfield at ~175yds gave satisfying plumes of dust with a little allowance for a 20knot cross breeze.
I know where there's one in 444 that I'm negotiating on, and after today's results, I'm getting seriously tempted to tap the credit card one more time.
Good luck, my only recommendation is to keep checking the major sites, and run Google on a daily basis. When one pops up, grab it right away, I missed several by not being quick enough.
Cheers,
R*2

Budmen
04-11-2012, 02:27 PM
MAn how did I miss that shoulda played on computer rather than going to the gun shops I guess but I did find a NIB Marlin XS7 308 for 300$ not a lever but a slick action for such a cheap gun....

LGS
04-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Here is one for sale on another forum I belong to. Hope this helps you.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328309

He in in Louisville Ky

Rrusse11
04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Bud,
I don't know if you're after the 45/70 or the 450Marlin, but I'll put a vote in for the 450M if you can get one. It's a belted case, if you're not familiar with the cartridge, essentially the same capacity as the 45/70. The key difference is the Marlin 1895 barrel threads on the 338 and 450 is a departure from the acme style that was, and probably still is used, for most of the Marlin's(now Remington) 140 years of production. The basic 1893 and original 1894 barrels will go into a late 1900's receiver, and vice versa. Marlin was true to the original specs for a very loooong time.
With the large case, there's not much chamber meat left in a 45/70
new build 1895, which is essentially the 336 action. The original 1895 Marlin is a larger receiver, don't have one, and they're scarce as the proverbial, and expensive if you can find one.
The 1895 XLR's, at least in the above 2 new cartridges, I'm told are a modified V thread, which leaves more steel in the critical chamber area. The pressure specs that I've seen are that the 450M is rated up to ~ 44,000psi, whereas Level II 45/70 loads are circa 30,000.
Alliant has some data, though unfortunately no pressure listings, that pushes a 300gr jbullet to within a whisker of 2400fps, SERIOUS
horsepower. Not far off the vaunted 458Win. Factory Hornady ammo for the 450M pushes about 3500'#'s.
The factory decelerator recoil pad on both my new XLR's is really helpfull. The reason I got the 338MX is the FTX boatail bullet with a BC of .430, truly a long range projectile in comparison to anything else in a lever action, generates about 3000'#'s according to Hornady specs.
Lol, sounds like advertising copy, but I'm sold!
Cheers,
R*2

Budmen
04-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I agree IF you read my first post it is for the MXLR

Thanks for the leads but I am specifically Looking for the MXLR I can still buy the XLR new from many gun shops in 30-30 45-70 308mx 338mx but no 450

Rrusse11
04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Bud,
Clearly you are well researched on the differences of the various models, I operate on the principle of make no assumptions. {:o).
Just back from the farm where I got 2 different loads shooting better than me. 49gr of Rx7 under the Hornady 325FTX and 31gr of AA5744 under a 300gr PBTC commercial cast boolit gave 3 shot groups under 1/2". This at only 40yds, but I'll make the expedition to the range and see what they do at 100 & 200yds. I'm confident that they'll perform well there too.
The Rx7 load is over Hornady specs, but then I've modified the action a bit for a COAL of 1.640". Have to break out the chronograph, it's languishing here somewhere, I've been into sporting clays for the past 5-6 years, and the boolit moulds have been gathering dust.
Guessing that the top load is pushing 2100fps, not as fast as the factory specs, but the accuracy is so exceptional that I'll probably leave it alone.
Good luck with your search, well worth it when you find one.
Cheers,
R*2

Budmen
04-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Rrusse11 I o prefer the 450 I have toyed with a 45-70 GS which is my reasoning for wanting the MXLR its not too much different but just enough to buy it and try it thanks for posting your results. Now if someone would just sell me thier gun I could be a happy caster!!!

Budmen
04-22-2012, 08:41 PM
YEEHAW just won the GB auction on the MXLR a few scratches and paid enough but for 4yrs I waited and wanted FINALLY I own one

Rrusse11
04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
YEEHAW just won the GB auction on the MXLR a few scratches and paid enough but for 4yrs I waited and wanted FINALLY I own one

Congrats and enjoy! I paid a grand in the hand by the time shipping, taxes and transfer fees were all added up. Worth every penny, hope yours shoots as well as mine. I've swapped the stocks with a 45/70 Sporter, pretty much a drop in fit, the walnut/stainless looks great IMO. The Weaver 1x3 scope I've mounted is just right, enough magnification to pull in the target nicely for shooting the golf balls I had bouncing around in the wood pile yesterday. Got one of Ranch Dogs GC moulds on the way, his 425gr, and an RCBS 300gr also checked. That should cover the options.
The ballistics on the short fat boolits won't ever make it a long distance proposition for hunting, but out to 150-200yds, anything on this continent is in trouble.
Have Fun!
R*2
Ps. Whereabouts in NY? Moose are making a comeback in the Adirondacks I hear. I got a place in the 1000 Islands, just the wrong side of the border as far as guns go, but the current gov't up there is possibly going to change that.

Budmen
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
I live about 15 min south of the Adirondack head. My main reason for the 450 is my first moose kill I had to do it with a lever been a dream since I was too small to shoot anything but 22 and my cut down 28ga. I dont think I will ever see any season on moose in New York in my lifetime but they are coming back.. Maybe I will get a New York Moose someday you never know Thanks for all your input and sharing your loads. As far as a scope goes for me it will be my 16x test scope for load devolpment then back to the iron sights for the rest of its life. I am not a fan of scopes on levers. With my 5 I dont have one scope mounted wait 6 now!!!!

Rrusse11
04-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Bud,
Have you looked at the skinner sights? I'm playing with a Marbles barrel mounted double ring at the moment. I'm finding my eyes as age catches up with me are increasingly problematical. The "shotgun" style low magnification scopes work well for me, but I certainly understand what you say about the simplicity, look, and increased vulnerability of optics on a gun.
Good luck with moose! Let's face it, the 450M is a bit much for whitetail.
Cheers,
R*2

Budmen
04-24-2012, 08:17 AM
I have not seen the skinner sights I will search and check them out now! The big idea for no scope is basically only for a handicap and looks lets face it I can grab anyone of my centerfire rifles or pistols for that matter and hit anything out to 200yds everytime. With open sights on the lever its a challenge and so much more gratifying in the long run. The 450M is a bit much for the whitetail but I'm sure it will have its days in the field this season I just love this gun and I have killed 2 or 3 with the 45-70 which I think is also alittle much for the whitetail. Truth be told if I dont stop buying guns and molds and equitment I will never get out on a hunting trip so I have to hunt our BIG GAME (deer and bear) in New York state with whatever I have.....Thanks again for all your info

Budmen
04-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Now sir I think you have found something I "NEED" Those skinner sights are great cant believe I have never looked into them before I may need to order a couple sets. I like them better than the marbles and they are cheaper.......Great recommendation thank you

Rrusse11
04-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Now sir I think you have found something I "NEED" Those skinner sights are great cant believe I have never looked into them before I may need to order a couple sets. I like them better than the marbles and they are cheaper.......Great recommendation thank you

Bud,
Didja' find the forum at marlinowners?
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/skinner-sights/
And his website too of course,
http://www.skinnersights.com/express_sights_15.html
Don't have one yet, but I'm considering one of his barrel mounts.
Glad to be of assistance.
Cheers,
R*2

adurham12
08-20-2012, 01:21 AM
My Dad just recently picked up a 450 mxlr with a leupold 3-9x50mm scope for $450,Niether of us have any experience with or know much about the rifle/caliber but it sounded like a good deal so we got it.

After reading these posts it sounds like we got a really good deal, as long as it shoots well.

Any information on this for an elk gun? We have a colorado elk trip coming up in october and this might make its way into the woods.