PDA

View Full Version : Enlightening Day

dmize
04-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Its the heart of snagging season here in Missouri. The boys and I shoot a lot and we fish alot. The baby has been bugging me about snagging so were going tomorrow. I had everything needed except sinkers so I threw 4 handfulls of wheel weights into the pot to make some 10oz sinkers,at the bait shop they are $2 A PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Several things I learned.
1. It is relaxing to not have to worry about fluxing and such.
2. No real need to worry about hardeness so I dumped sinkers straight into a 5 gallon bucket of water.
3. Since there is nothing super precise about sinker moulds I just dipped corner of mould into water to cool off mould.
MOST important thing I learned,I have come to the conclusion that you pretty much have to try to melt a zinc ww. I filled pot,fired up the fryer at full blast and then checked boat tires,greased wheel bearings,greased the jet drive,started the engine,cleaned out the bottom of the boat and plugged in battery charger,maybe 25 minutes. Got back to pot and skimmed off the clips and about 5 zinkers that were floating.
Im NOT saying it cant be done,but I am saying It aint easy.

1Shirt
04-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Old yankee sayin: "if it was easy everybody would be doing it!"
1Shirt!

GRUMPA
04-14-2012, 02:54 PM
I've never heard of the term "snagging" what's that?

Sonnypie
04-14-2012, 03:10 PM
I've never heard of the term "snagging" what's that?

From a Grampia to a Grumpa:
SNAGGING (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snagging) <Click Here< :2 drunk buddies:

GRUMPA
04-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks, just never heard of that term before now.

DLCTEX
04-14-2012, 03:39 PM
How did the snagging go? Pics!