PDA

View Full Version : Old One, What is IT?

oldwood1
04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I have an old musket, percussion smooth bore, "LELAND" on top flat section of barrel, lock has engraved birds and the word "WARRANTED" on it. Barrel, +/-.73, smooth bore, barrel length 40 5/8", goes from 5 flats 9 3/4'' long to 9 flats 2 5/8" long, a ring shape 5/16 wide, round taper 28" to muzzle end. gun length 56 1/2". Gun is real rough, repaired many times, missing hammer, both front and rear stock is broken. May be it was drilled out for fowling piece. Stock may have gone length of barrel at one time. Any Guesses? I will post pics. Thanks, oldwood1

oldwood1
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
I also have another muzzle loader under "Our Town", Where To Post, could use a little with that one too. Thank You, oldwood

04-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Don't have any idea about it but it looks old and looks to be a quality gun that has seen a hard life. Could have started life as a standard 12 ga. fowler given the bird engraving motif. My thought is English but boy oh boy is that a wild guess!

KCSO
04-07-2012, 09:49 PM
That is not a MUSKET but a single barrel smooth bore fowler from the 1840-1870 period. The back action lock is missing the hammer. The gun was made originaly as a hunting gun and if you take off the barrels you can check out the proof marks. A Broad Arrow would indicate British manufacture and an ELG would be Belgian. Depending on how deep the pitting and how thick the barrel this gun might still be a shooter and could probably be repaired.

John Taylor
04-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I have one in about the same condition marked "Spencer" on the lock. When i got it the breach plug was missing and the hammer was gone, lock was held on with a bent nail. I suppose it was last used by kids as a toy. Probably had no value from about 1900 to 1960. I have always wondered if the Spencer name is the same as the repeating rifle of the same name. I also have an 1882 Spencer shotgun that is supposed to be the first successful pump shotgun.

oldwood1
04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the input on the old gun, after doing more research I think this fowling piece was probably made by Larkin M. Leland Augusta, Maine between 1836 and 1871. Thanks, oldwood1

jnovotny
04-08-2012, 07:43 PM
I have one that is pretty close to what you have . It is a fowler ,just a single shot shotgun. Fix the lock and enjoy shooting it. If you are wanting to sell it I would be interesed. John

04-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the input on the old gun, after doing more research I think this fowling piece was probably made by Larkin M. Leland Augusta, Maine between 1836 and 1871. Thanks, oldwood1

Makes sense- glad you could track down the likely maker. I too did a quick search for American makers named Leland but came up empty. But, during that time there were a lot of small, obscure smiths making guns. It'd be nice to see that one repaired and functional. I can see a lot of time, effort, individual style and no small amount of skill went into making it.

Boerrancher
04-09-2012, 06:56 AM
It is times like this that one wishes Turner Kirkland was still around. That man knew folks who could restore a gun like that to it's original glory and you would never know it had been damaged. I saw what he had done to a Gimmer that belonged to a friend of mine years ago. The stock was broken in 3 pieces and was missing a chunk of wood. When the old gun came back after Turner had it worked on, even knowing where it was broken and where the missing wood was you couldn't tell it, and we had marked the original stock parts discreetly to see if it came back with the original wood on it. If you don't fell confident in your ability to restore it, give Dixie a call. I am sure they still know some folks who can, and an old gun like that could be worth thousands if it is properly restored.

Best wishes,

Joe

Curlymaple42
04-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Looks like a decent piece of wood on there too! Interesting history, being from Maine and all...

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

waksupi
04-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Monte Mandarino lives up here, and does restorations. However, the work may be worth more than the gun is.

StrawHat
04-10-2012, 10:24 AM
It could be a nice looking piece if restored. If restoration is in your future, another place to contact is The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio. If Oz will take on your project, he will do amazing work. If he is retired, they can recommend a few others.