PDA

View Full Version : New soap in tumbler = very clean brass

'74 sharps
04-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Tired of soap bubbles with liquid hand dish soap, tried liquid dishwasher detergent with hot water and citric acid to clean some bp fired brass. Came out great - insides even look new. A few bubbles, but rinsed easily.

Chicken Thief
04-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Adding citric acid to diswashing detergent is counterproductive.
The detergent is caustic, @PH11 in washing solution it says on mine, so adding acid will only lower the PH and not do anything further.

'74 sharps
04-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Adding citric acid to diswashing detergent is counterproductive.
The detergent is caustic, @PH11 in washing solution it says on mine, so adding acid will only lower the PH and not do anything further.

The citric acid is not for cleaning the brass, but for passivation of the brass.:groner:

Boz330
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Lemi Shine, available in the dish washing section.
I just got some of the stainless steel pins to tumble with and tried them after the match Saturday. 1 Tablespoon of Dawn, 1/4tsp of Lemi Shine and the brass including the primer pockets came out looking like they just came out of the bag. :bigsmyl2:And the pins are small enough that you can do any size brass without worrying about stuff getting stuck in the case. To me the little bit of bubbles isn't an issue.

Bob

L Ross
04-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I use the liquid soap that came with my ceramic media from Dave Maurer, (Shooter 2). I use about 5 drops to a Thumbler Model B tumbler and it works perfectly with a small amount of sudsing. That quart bottle will last for decades.

Duke

Chicken Thief
04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
The citric acid is not for cleaning the brass, but for passivation of the brass.:groner:

BP fouling is caustic so acid is used to oxidize it.
So:groner:yourself.

Pretty much why everybody adds some sort of acid when they clean BP fouled brass.