PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Own/Shoot a Springfield XD .45 ACP?

nicholst55
04-07-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm looking for a concealed carry piece to use in lieu of my 5" 1911. I want a .45 ACP, but I want a smaller gun with at least a 6+1-round capacity; more would be better. My son recently bought a Glock 36 single-stack .45, which he seems happy with so far. I certainly don't have anything against Glocks, and will examine the G30 and G36 once I return to the States. That said, I'm certainly not married to Glock, either.

The Springfield XD-series seem like a logical place to look, and I also plan to examine their Compact 4" .45 ACP model before I make a decision. Their new single-stack .45 would be nice if it held 6+1 rather than 5+1. Not as many accessories or aftermarket parts available for the XD, but I don't see that as a huge issue at this point. One thing that Springfield offers which Glock doesn't is a custom shop that will fluff-and-buff (or whatever your little heart desires) your XD before they ship it to you. You can order it with aftermarket night sights, a specific trigger pull, custom finish, or choose from a couple of packages.

So, anyone have any thoughts to share?

jrayborn
04-07-2012, 10:10 AM
I have all three pistols you initially list, Glock 36, 30 and the Springfield XD service model (Not the XDM). I have smallish hands and performed my own glock grip reduction on both the 36 and the 30. The shape of the XD frame fit me very well. I unfortunately love them all!

The XD (13+1)is a bit too big to conceal for me in other than winter seasons, and so is the Glock 30 (10+1). For me, when I want a .45 on my belt the Glock 36 with extended magazine (7+1) is my choice. They all work well, and I definitely give the XD a big edge on the trigger, plus it has the grip safety that I also like. They are all as accurate as I can make them, which is to say I have no struggle with any as I am the weak link in that equation.

I have taken classes with both the XD and 36 and both performed perfectly with 500+ rounds per day. They have a good reputation for reliability and longevity however, the Glocks have a significant edge in the replacement parts availability. You can get Glock brand replacements almost anywhere, but last time I looked if the XD's extractor breaks, you need to send it off to Springfield to be repaired. Not a big issue if it never breaks, but I like to have spares of my own so that irritates me somewhat, but has not been an issue in 5 years of shooting or so. I have not looked lately so that may have changed.

They are all good, see which one fits you best and you will be well served by any.

ReloaderFred
04-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I have Springfield XD's in 9x19, 357 Sig and .45 acp, and love them. My wife also carries an XD-SC with her all the time.

There are many companies offering after market accessories for the XD's. Powder River Precision, Springer, etc., all offer parts and services.

I very highly recommend them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

2ndAmendmentNut
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
The XDs and XD(M)s are great guns, but they are not little guns. I would look at the Kahrs in 45 if you want a CC 45acp.

MtGun44
04-07-2012, 12:29 PM
IME, many years carrying a Commander LTWT 1911, FLAT is critical in CCW.

XD is anything but flat, would be much less concealable than a 1911.

Bill

jrayborn
04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Glock 30 in the center. Just wondering, Reloader Fred, do those companies offer factory replacement parts or just aftermarket?

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy261/jrayborn32/IMG_3329.jpg

odfairfaxsub
04-07-2012, 12:49 PM
my wife bought me a 5 inch 45 acp xd when my 1911 w a 5 inch barrel was getting worked on by.....my wife lol. what a woman!!! i don't picticularly like small barrel pistols in 45acp but im a big fan of the gun in full size

jblee10
04-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I have a xd45 compact. 4 inch barrel and two lengths of magazines. With the short mag I think it could be concealed with winter clothing. Might be to big with lighter clothing though. It shoots cast boolits just fine as long as they are not SWC. I shoot the 452-200-rf and it goobles them up. SWC boolits will catch their shoulder on the base of an ejecting shell. It actually hits hard enough to bend out the back of the magazine.
That being said, I like the pistol better than glocks. lt points better for me and I prefer the trigger.

jrayborn
04-07-2012, 03:41 PM
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy261/jrayborn32/IMG_3332.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy261/jrayborn32/IMG_3331.jpg

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy261/jrayborn32/IMG_3330.jpg

Well I tried.

Anyway here is the best I can do to compare the XD to a full size 1911. The XD is slightly smaller all the way around but yes, thicker. I think it is about the same in terms of "how to conceal" some trade off on thickness but some savings on overall length and height. But a lot of firepower too.

Just FYI...

boltons75
04-07-2012, 03:48 PM
My brother has a Springfield 1911 sc, I think that's what it's called. And it's no bigger than my ruger sr40c. And it's still the 1911 platform.

35remington
04-07-2012, 06:14 PM
If the 1911 is carrying a seven shot magazine without a extended basepad instead of an eight shot magazine of any type (which it should) then the XD pictured above is just as tall as the 1911, if not taller, and also thicker.

The Commander with standard hammer and grip safety would be smaller than both pistols and has the same capacity as a full size 1911 with flush fit magazine (7 Plus 1). The price of the XD's capacity is a fatter, thicker butt. So what is favored, concealability or firepower?

The size of the butt of the pistol is the biggest impediment to concealability, in my experience.

A Commander sized 1911 is as small as I'll go. Too many isssues with the truly short, under 4" 1911's.

How many shots you think you need will dictate your choices as well as "butt" size. If concealment is truly a concern, be sure that you aren't trading size for reliability.

W.R.Buchanan
04-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I have a G21SF and a G35. I have been shooting the .45 most lately. I have both pistols outfitted the same way IE Dawson Sights, extended Mag release and slide release.

Many parts on all Glocks are interchangable, and they are relatively cheap.

I am partial to Glocks as they are the simplest pistol to learn how to run. All the rest are copies,,,1911's excepted.

The only XD.45 I have had my hands on was brand new unfired and I could hardly operate the slide, I also don't like the grip safety as it is redundent. Also pretty sure you can't rack the slide without the grip safety depressed. IF so you are SOL on trying to clear a malfunction one handed.

If you are choosing a new pistol I would try to do clearing drills with the gun first before I bought it. you can "shoot" any pistol. Running one is a completely different story.

If you can't do a simple tap rack flip, or a type 3 with the gun because it is too stiff to operate then the gun is not going to be very friendly in a real SHTF situation.

I would also add, that if the full sized gun is too hard to operate,,, a smaller version of the same gun will be much harder to operate.

I was looking seriously at a G27 the other day. After trying to rack the slide and lock the slide back I could see problems with seriously stiffer springs than the larger guns have. They have to have stiffer springs because the slides aren't as big, so it takes a stiffer spring to hold the slide in battery and counteract recoil.

I also won't buy a New Gen 4 Glock in CA because they now have a mag disconnect which won't allow firing with the mag out. No more new 1911's in CA either as none of them have mag disconnects.

It would be best if you could shoot all of the guns you are interested in before you buy. I hate buying a new gun and then finding out is has some quirk I can't live with, and then having to dump it.

Glocks don't really have quirks. That's why I have them.

Randy

ReloaderFred
04-07-2012, 09:38 PM
jrayborn,

If you do a search, you'll find the companies making aftermarket parts for the XD's. They range from sights to triggers and everything in between. Here are a couple:

http://powderriverprecision.com/

http://www.springerprecision.com/

http://xdguys.com/shoppingcart/

I was forced to carry a Glock 22 for the last two years before I retired. I don't own any Glocks, but I do own 6 Springfield XD's.

In the winter it's easy to conceal the XD-45 under a jacket or vest. In the spring and fall, a light vest will cover an XD-SC easily. In the summer, I carry a pocket pistol, now a Sig P-238. Just don't use one of those safari vests that scream "I have a gun". Something like a Carhart, or sport vest is best. Dark colors are also good for camoflaging what's under them.

The key to concealment is the holster. A perfect carry handgun will be uncomfortable and hard to carry in a cheap holster, but even the least perfect handgun can be carried in a proper holster.

I've been using the Don Hume Leather Goods H726 holster for the past several years. http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=49&zenid=08sf5he08jum3vsf4vlq0gvid4 It's a high ride pancake style holster, with a semi-breakfront design and a thumb break. It allows the pistol to be drawn without raising it up under your armpit. Just lift an inch and bring the gun forward through the spring surrounded open front. I prefer thumb break holsters, since all of my duty holsters were thumb break designs and it's second nature for me to just thumb it open and draw. This holster holds the firearm securely, even if the thumb break isn't fastened, yet is fast and easy to draw from. You can also reholster one handed, which is something I think is important in a concealment holster. If your holster takes two hands to put the pistol away, then you don't have any hands left for whatever else they need to hold, such as cellphone, flashlight, etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred

fullofdays
04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
New XD-S is what u need. single stack .45 ACP . I have a Powder River 3.8 for Cap duty and a PRP 5.25 comp for match duty. couldn't be happier. jutting need to figure out what boolit to run in th 9mm 5.25

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

nicholst55
04-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Some interesting points, to be sure. My first thought was to buy or build the equivalent of the Colt Concealed Carry Officer - Commander-length slide and barrel on an Officer-size frame. A couple of companies currently offer them (including a limited edition from Colt), but I could buy two Glocks or XDs for the same price. I may eventually build one of my own, but it will still be expensive.

I've never handled an XD, because I never had any interest in them until the last couple of weeks. I'm going to be living in SW Arizona, so hot weather concealability is a huge issue. I'm hoping to handle and shoot as many different models as possible before I make a decision. In the interim, I do have some alternatives - my old Star PD and a Smith 640. I don't shoot the Star very well and repair parts are just about nonexistent. It's never failed me yet, but anything can break.

My primary concern with my 5" 1911 is the length of the grip. I'll be carrying it IWB, and I'm afraid that it will print when covered with a t-shirt. A CCO should eliminate that problem, as would a subcompact Glock.

MtGun44
04-08-2012, 03:57 AM
When you can't wear heavy clothes, FLAT is critical and this is a huge advantage of the 1911
platform over the great majority of the new double stack guns which are much thicker.

Regardless of the length and width, thinner is a very big advantage.

Compare a P6 SIG to the P239/8 series, single stack is much easier to conceal.

Bill

straightarrow
04-08-2012, 05:34 AM
I am recently retired after 35 years in law enforcement and have carried the Glock 22 for 20 plus years. Never used to carry off duty now carry 24-7. I have used the Don Hume inside the belt holster for the Glock and you forget it is even there and is completely concealed by a t-shirt. Recently bought a Springfield full size 45 acp. I also carry that in a Don Hume inside the belt holster and it is a little heavier but still just as concealable. It holds thirteen rounds, is super accurate and shoots 230 grn LRN very very well. I have never seen the point in carrying a gun that only has 5,6 or seven rounds when you can carry a gun with 13 or more. When non law enforcement friends ask me about concealed carry by my reply is always the same "if you are going to carry a gun then carry a gun" not a small caliber pocket pistol that only holds a few rounds.

bobthenailer
04-08-2012, 05:23 PM
After carrieng the 1911 in 45 acp for 40 years with barrel lengths from 5" 4.25" and 3.5 inch, last year i bought a Kahr CW in 45 acp , I am really impressed with this pistol for carry and would recommend it to any one , I have a tricked out para P12 with alloy frame and i prefer the Kahr for carry.

nicholst55
04-09-2012, 02:31 AM
I'll definitely give my 5" 1911 in a Lobo Gun Leather IWB holster (http://www.lobogunleather.com/5_iwb_belt_loop_style) a try before I rush out and buy anything new for CCW. I'm just looking for options right now. Thanks for all the input!

dnotarianni
04-09-2012, 08:44 PM
"if you are going to carry a gun then carry a gun" not a small caliber pocket pistol that only holds a few rounds.

That ain't no ****! Listen up everybody this man is definitely the voice of experience!
Dave