PDA

View Full Version : In debt, yet agin.

Bret4207
04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Now before you all chastise me for the weak son that I am, understand this was one I've been looking for for DECADES. S+W M-48 22 MRF, 4", TT,TH, like new! Only thing it didn't have was the factory fitted 22LR cylinder. I wonder if the S+W Custom Shop could be persuaded to fit one?

Don't ask how much. Less than I see on Auction Arms and more than the Gun Traders Guide says.

kywoodwrkr
04-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Bret,
I look at buying something like that as therapy.
It makes me feel good after looking for a long time and elimates maybe one or two sessions($$).
I had same thing with a Savage 23D.
Wanted, looked, looked and looked.
Finally found one and bought it.
I also don't think of cost in $.
I use work days.
Yearly salary divided by 222 give me roughly a days worth in $.
Then a rifle or pistol is half a day, 3/4 day etc etc.
Whole lot easier to justify that way.
At least in my humble opinion.
Besides, I've been to enough therapists to know that this is right!:mrgreen:
I'm a little envious actually!
22 WRFs work wonders in those magnums also.
Less damage to small game.
Use WRFs in my Marlin 57M.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

targetshootr
04-03-2007, 06:17 PM
You can always get your money back if you ever let it go. I think I read that John Taffin had his life insurance earmarked to cover his tab at one time. Made me feel much better.

Bret4207
04-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I see I'm not alone in justifying what I "need". Yupper KW, 22 WRF is the load of choice in most 22 mags I've seen for accuracy. Weird huh? You'd think they'd be like shorts in a 22LR, good but not great. My buddies 22 mag dotes on the 22 WRF made by CCI I think. What a great woods walking gun. Now to pay for it and lay by 10,000 rounds of 22WRF, 'cuz sure as shootin' now that I finally got one they'll quit making it!

Lloyd Smale
04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
neat gun bret!

MT Gianni
04-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Nice pick-up. You might just ask the custom shop for a 22 jet cyl with 22lr inserts as long as you're asking. Gianni

Scrounger
04-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Here's a way to spend some more...http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/p22rj.html

9.3X62AL
04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
It seems to me that a 22 LR cylinder for that K-frame would be pretty simple to put together--although the K-22's today all seem to be 10-shooters.

That IS a good find, Bret. Them thangs sure don't grow on trees.

ktw
04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
You guys go into DEBT to buy guns...!?

Well, that explains why some of you are so far ahead of me in the cool toys department. ;-)

-ktw

Jon K
04-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Bret,

If you always wanted one & been looking, no need to justify.

JUST JUMP ON IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

You know the old stories, and saying "WOULDA, COULDA, SHOULDA & Sorry You Didn't. So if you don't, You'll always be wanting one- FOREVER.

Congrats,
Jon
:castmine:

jobo12
04-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Nice find, you're gonna love it. Mine sports the 8 3/8" barrel, and I sent it back to the factory (about 20 years ago) and had it fitted for the .22 LR cylinder-- at the time I was too tight to by the WMR stuff. The extra cylinder cost me a little over $100 at the time but I was amazed that the Long Rifles actually grouped a little better than the standard Winchester WMR's which were available at the time (now there's lots of different loads to choose from). The barrel is .224 vs. .218 for the LR, but the hollow-base of the boolits seems to grab the riflings just fine. The gun shoots great with either cylinder.
In operation, you just back out the crane screw on the right hand side of the frame 2 turns (no more, or it'll fall out). You open the cylinder, and pull the crane forward off the gun. The current cylinder slips off the crane axle, and the new one slides back on. Put the crane back on, close the cylinder, and tighten the screw back down & you're ready to roll. For years, this kit was actually cataloged with the Mod 48 as an option, but I think it was special order only. If you can get the factory to fit you one, its a great way to go-- if not, its still a wonderful revolver.
Enjoy,
Joe

Buckshot
04-05-2007, 03:44 AM
You guys go into DEBT to buy guns...!?

Well, that explains why some of you are so far ahead of me in the cool toys department. ;-)

-ktw

HA! I gave up my 01 FFl 6 years ago and am STILL paying off that debt :-)

..............Buckshot

RGS
04-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I somehow talked a friend out of one of his 4" M 63s. He threw in a .22WMR cylinder. I have it off to the gun smith right now to fit the mag cylinder. It shoots very well with the .22lr cylinder, so I hope the mag cylinder will work as well.

This is the first J frame gun I have shot. Aside from being cute as it can be, it shoots very well. It complements the .41 Mag. Mountain Gun and 5"M27 I have shot for years. The .22Mag option puts this little kit gun right up there with .32acp as a make-do self defense round. It will run the same weight bullet as fast as a .22lr out of a rifle. Nice...

Rick

Bret4207
04-07-2007, 08:31 AM
My Kit gun shoots good too. The guy running it sometimes has a problem though. Seems I do better with some guns using the classic "off hand" position with my right arm stuck way out there in the wind. I'm sure it's an eye sight thing. Some of these guns just plain need BIGGER sights, like on my Ruger 22/45. I got my new specs yesterday, (that only took what, 4 years?), and I plan to get one of those Merit eye glass gizmos. I'd also like to get that new pistol rest Caldwell is making. Sort of a replacement for a Ransom rest, but less $$$. Still $200.00+ dollars, but it would answer some questions.

Is the 63 a 22lr to start with? If so the barrel is supposed to be a bit tight for the Mag. IIRC .218-.220 vs. .224 for the Mag. It may not be an issue as some of my info is dated, but worth considering.

fecmech
04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
It will run the same weight bullet as fast as a .22lr out of a rifle. Nice...

Rick

Not 40 grs but the CCI stingers run just a shade over 1200fps out of my 4" Kit gun and group about 1 1/2" @ 25 yds.

Trooper Bret--If you happen to have a dot sight around here is a cheap way to test your .22 for accuracy. Get a TC Contender weaver mount ($6-$10) and a tube of Black silicone adhesive/sealant ( Napa store $5). Remove the rear sight from your revolver (1 screw) degrease the top of your revolver and bottom of the weaver mount. Apply a bead of sealant to the bottom of the mount and stick it on top of the revolver and wipe off the excess. Let dry for 24 hours and mount the dot sight and then bench rest the gun. The sealant will hold the mount on just fine and when you are done testing take a pair of pliers and peel the mount off the gun. The silicone sealant that adhears to the gun can be cleaned off with your finger nail or a piece of plastic like a credit card with no damage to the gun. There may be other Weaver mounts that work as well, I know the TC mount has about the same radius as the top of the J frame Smith. Last winter I shot an informal Bullseye league with my Kit gun with theTC mount glued on it and a BSA dot sight, worked just fine.

Bret4207
04-10-2007, 05:43 AM
FecMech- Thanks for the idea. Sounds good.

I got it out of the shop! Couldn't stand it any longer and went and got it. It's a shooter boys. Seems to like both Mags and 22WRF. Now to find the extra K frame holster I have some place and my old Houge grips I also stored where I wouldn't lose them. Of course I can't remember where that was, but that doesn't make them lost.

Four Fingers of Death
04-10-2007, 08:47 AM
How do you find cheap gasoline? Fill up with expensive stuff! Seems to work that way with everything.