PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a good cheap scope

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-06-2012, 03:06 PM
While i would love to have a Nikon pro staff 2-7x32 to every long gun I own
i have 2 on heavy recoiling hunting guns and they have been very good for me 2 power is good for woods hunting and 7 power is enough for anything i am going to be able to shoot. they are bright and clear they only have one issue , cost

i even admit they are a great value for the 129 dollar sale price

so i ponder , is there such a thing as a cheap scope that is also good

I find myself looking at a few lower cost scopes that seem to have good reviews on midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288134/leapers-utg-golden-image-compact-rifle-scope-4x-32mm-mil-dot-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/470528/tasco-pronghorn-rifle-scope-3-9x-32mm-30-30-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/417845/simmons-8-point-rifle-scope-4x-32mm-truplex-reticle-matte

the leapers claims 3 1/2" , the Tasco 3" Simmons claims 4 1/4 inches of eye relief

i happen to have an older Simmons 6x44 mounted on a 30-06 that has worked well but i do recall paying much more than 32 dollars for it

i have a marlin 336 in 30-30 that is the candidate for the scope , I don't need a hole lot of magnification , but with my eyes and the factory irons i feel like my load development has hit a wall i just can't see to 100 yards with the sights. so my all shots touching at 25 yards load at 50 yards is about a 2 inch group and at 100 i am all over the place

this is the reason my 2 primary deer guns got the 2-7 nikons when i had to get glasses about 6 years ago my shooting with iron sights past 50 yards suffered or maybe it was just all shooting with irons suffered and it was more noticeable past 50 yards.

you can understand why i hope that a 30ish dollar scope will work , i am on a tight budget , but spending 30 some dollars to find out i should have spent 140 leaves me having spent more yet to get it to work.

clodhopper
04-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Pete,
I have a 36 dollar leapers scope mounted on an appleseed loaner rifle.
The rifle is just a 10-22 but has been subjected to many indigities by many shooters, it still works.
The scope came with a lighted reticle, might have had something to do with the 36 dollar price.
How long it will last on a centerfire is unknown to me.
Mark

WildmanJack
04-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm not one to normally throw my 2 cents in, but I do it anyway. I reload and shoot, .30-30, .30-06, .308, and ,.243. Except for the .30-30 I have Millet scopes on all my rifles. I met a guy that was shooting a .338 Lapua and a .50 Barrett. He said he used Millet scopes on all his guns and after hundreds of rounds thru both they are still holding zero like the day they were mounted. That was enough for me. I put Millet scopes on all my scoped guns after having multiple failures with cheaper scopes. They can be had for less than $400.00 and I tell you what, I love them. Yeah they're made in China dam it, but for the money I think they're the best bang for the buck. Just my 2 cents !!!!Take it for what it's worth...
Jack

rond
04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I've had good luck with Bushnell, have a couple of fixed 4 power scopes that have a good, clear field of view.

DLCTEX
04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
I have a Swift scope in 3X9 that was $120 and has worked very well for years . A Millet 4X16 that was on a rifle I won that is several years old and has been great on a 257 Wby. I have Leupold, Simmons, and Weaver scopes on several rifles that have been excellent. The one scope I have had in the last 20 years that gave any problems was a Bushnell that was on a Savage 243 rifle I bought as a package at Walmart. The lower grade 3X9 had the reticle get loose and was returned to Bushnell for warrenty. It came back with the problem unrepaired, but the rubber objective bumper for the eye had fallen off and was replaced. They billed me $12 for repairs, which I ignored. Walmart swapped me a much better Bushnell to make me happy, and it is still going strong after 17 years. The only other scope I ever had a problem with was a cheap BSA that was on a used gun I bought and I knew it was bad when I made the deal. I trashed it.

geargnasher
04-06-2012, 06:43 PM
If you have a $120-140 budget and want my opinion (you asked for it!) the absolute best scope you can buy is a Vortex Crossfire. I believe they have the same optics grade and coatings as the $1000+ lines that Vorex makes, at least I can't tell the difference. The Crossfire line is sleek, durable as any scope on the market (probably more so), has great optics, lots of options, and is balls reliable. It's all I buy anymore, the ones I'm replacing gradually with Vortex scopes get relegated to other, less important guns. That's why my 10-22 is now sporting a Leupold VX II 3x9x40!

Gear

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Pete,

check out Vortex.

I stick with American made, and Lifetime Warranteed Leupolds myself. They have been to Africa with me a couple trips and decades of BR competition with no issues.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-06-2012, 09:00 PM
I am sold on the Vortex as well.

Gearhog ocasionally runs a daily special deal on some specific Vortex.
I have bought 3 in the last few months.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=140958
Jon

WILCO
04-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey Pete,

I found 11 reviews for one of your choices. Here's a link:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-tasco-pronghorn-3-9x32-rifle-scope-ph39x32d.html

Jailer
04-06-2012, 11:25 PM
I've got a couple of the new Redfield scopes and I've been pretty happy with them so far. None have been put through any rough paces but they are clear and have held zero.

I also have a Millet TRS on one my AR's and love it. I'm sure there are better but for $300 it's kinda hard to beat.

MtGun44
04-07-2012, 10:10 AM
For a while Simmons Master Series were way better than the price would suggest, not sure
now. Simmons Scopes was bought out by Meade Telescopes, a major astronomical scope
maker. They put a good, innovative designer on the problems of rifle scopes and he
came up with the bendable reticle tube. Most scopes move the reticle tube (inner tube
that holds the reticle) by pivoting it on one end by a ball joint. Of course a loose ball joint
(cheap scope) will let the reticle tube and therefore, reticle, move around a bit, and this
hurts accuracy, of course. A 'too tight' ball joint means that when you put in an adjustment,
the tube bends a bit, but the ball doesn't move, so you get less movement of the reticle
than you wanted, so you add some more. Eventually, the ball unsticks & moves and you have too
much correction, another PITA with a cheap scope. Crummy reticle location springs in cheap
scopes can add to this behavior.

With the bendable reticle tube, the tube is the spring, and it always moves very consistently
and the cost of the joint is far less since the tube is screwed solidly in place at the end, but
cross-slotted to bend predictably. They also added a line of aspherical lense design scopes
too, which had optical advantages.

I own a number of Master Series scopes and they have been excellent performers, way out
of line with their prices. I have no idea if the current Simmons Scopes has continued this
superior design feature (IMO) and it is rare when cheaper is better, but this seems to be
an example.

Maybe someone here has an insider contact with the current owners of the Simmons Scopes
line and can answer some of these questions. I worry that they just went back to the same
old ball joint design which means that cheap scopes will have a few that are just right (ball
joint specs are right) and many that are too loose or too tight due to lower quality in the
mechanical manufacturing dictated by the low price. IMO the optical differences are relatively
small for most scopes, until you get into the really, really expensive ones - although better
coatings will improve the amount of light coming through the scope a bit. The big differences
are in the mechanical design - strength, durability and consistency of motion of the reticle
when adjusted and ability to not move unless adjusted.

Bill

376Steyr
04-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Nobody has mentioned being weather-proof yet. A cheap scope that fails during a sunny day at the range is an annoyance. One that fogs up when its raining sideways and the big xxxx is getting away (or in some even worse cases, coming towards you) is a different matter.

1Shirt
04-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Just my 2 cents worth! A lot of scopes on the market today for under $100.00 have better optics than some of the top of the line scopes of 25-30 years ago. There is a lot of competition out there. In the cheaper scopes on mild recoiling rifles, have no problem with BSA's or Simmons.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Rockydog
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I'd echo MtGun44's comments on the Simmons scopes. I've not had real good luck with the real cheap Simmons scopes that come on package rifles etc. But the Master Pro series with the True-Zero system are excellent scopes. I've got one on my .223 that really frustrates one of my hunting buddies because it's got so much eye relief tolerance that it makes his $400 scope look bad. I've also got a couple of the lower priced Vortex Scopes. The clarity and resolution on these is beyond belief for the price. I just wish the crosshairs were a bit finer. RD

lylejb
04-07-2012, 11:34 PM
I bought 1 of the cheep simmons to put on the kids 22. If you look straight in the center of the lenses, it's clear, but try to look towards the edges, it distorts. not horrible, but noticable. It works for what I got it for, a kids 22 scope, but on a centerfire, no thanks.

I think I would look for a good quality used scope, before I put a simmons on a hunting rifle.

MtGun44
04-08-2012, 02:57 AM
I am ONLY recommending the Master Series Simmons scopes, the ones with the
"true-Zero" reticle tube - I had forgotten their name for this bendable reticle tube.
There is a big difference across their line.

Bill

Doc_Stihl
04-08-2012, 07:13 AM
I personally haven't had very good luck with the Vortex crossfire scope I have. First one lost it's reticle after 6 months and maybe 40 rounds. Reticle was 25 degrees off axis and floating around. They promptly replaced it and the new one has some "junk" in the body. Small bit of something that I can see from time to time at the bottom of the image.
I've only had 1 of the bushnell scopes, a $30 one from Natchez on sale. 3 Shots and the cross hairs literally fell apart. Dangling pieces in the tube.
I'm a big fan of cheap scopes and I've been wicked impressed with the Center Point scopes. Walmart carries them. I've got 2 of the 4-16, uncle has 2x 4-16, another uncle has a 4-16 and a 2-7. There are 4-16's mounting on 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag encore pro hunters and both have near 100 rounds down the tube with 0 issues. I had my 7mm mag sighted in after 6 rounds and haven't touched the turrets since. The 2-7 is on a 18" barreled 460 katadhin pro hunter and with hot jacketed rounds that rifle recoils faster and jumps higher off the bench than any rifle I've ever seen. The muzzle will jump 18" off the bags. That rifle has near 400 rounds through it and it's still spot on. I've also seen 1 dud though. A friend had the rear lens fall out of his after several hundred rounds on an 06. I think anything that's assembled has the chance of being a dud.
The centerpoints will run you $50 to $70 and include rings and flip up covers. I haven't found another line that is as reasonable priced and packed with features.
My $.02

**oneshot**
04-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I have several brands of scopes one both handguns and rifles, from cheap ones to pricey ones. On the cheap ones, although I have not had a failure, the biggest issue I have is not being able to go back to zero after making a long range adjustment. I put these on kentucky windage plinkers. I have not had issue with any of the midrange or pricey ones. Same goes for rings. I've had good scopes twist around in cheap rings.
My midrange and up scopes
Simmons rifle and handgun Several of these
weaver handgun
Burris rifle and handgun
Leupold handgun
nikon rifle and handgun

Best cheap scope I own is a BSA 22 rimfire. Not a sweet 22, just a plain jane 22rimfire. I can't speak for these on recoil as I only have them on 22's.

429421Cowboy
04-09-2012, 02:21 AM
I've always been a Leupold guy, because of the great support they give to the IHEA, and their Hunter Ed Instructor discount, I'm about to order a Redfield from them unless somebody talks me out of it soon for my .243. My little brother has a Vortex on his '/06, and has had great luck with it. If i couldn't get such a great deal on the Redfield line i would buy a Vortex just like his.

excess650
04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
IMO, you get what you pay for **to a point**. Really inexpensive scopes are inexpensive for a reason. IMO, you would be better off to spend some extra $ to buy a known good used scope than a new, questionable at best scope.

Most manufacturers make more than one line of scopes, and they're "built for a price". That's to say they don't use the same quality of components or care of assembly in their "budget line" as they do in their top line.

EVERYTHING is a compromise. When I was looking for a mildot scope with target turrets for playing at the silhouette range, I looked at the Bushnell Elite 3000(?) 10x. The eye relief was sooooo critical that I just couldn't bring myself to buy it despite its relatively low price. When I was looking for a compact scope for some of my lever guns and CZ carbine, I bought a Nikon Slughunter for its 5" of eye relief. True, it has lots of eye relief and the optics are clear, but the trade-off was field of view. Its OK, I like it.

I had bought a 2.5x Simmons for one of my leverguns. It was extremely compact, but field of view was tiny and I suspect the magnifications was actually below 2x. It was heavy for its size, so I suspect it actually had glass lenses as opposed to plastic. I gave it away.

IMO, you would be doing yourself a favor to spend a bit more rather than having regrets about quality.

RugerFan
04-09-2012, 09:11 AM
In the late 70s I bought a brand new Rem M788 .308 that came with a TASCO 4x scope. That scope still works fine and has never lost zero. About a dozen years ago I bought a $25 TASCO 4x scope that was used on a SKS and then an inline ML. Again, still works fine.

On the other hand, I have had 2 inexpensive Bushnells fail (both 3x9 variable). A small sampling in either case, but this is my experience with "cheap" scopes.

For the most part I buy Leupolds now.

VA Shooter
04-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Check out Hawke optics I have handled these and they are very nice and you will not beat the price lifetime waranty I plan on getting 2 next week

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-09-2012, 03:50 PM
a few things , it seem everyone has their own idea of what inexpensive or cheap is for some a 100 dollar scope is inexpensive for others it is more expensive

I had been thinking 50-60 dollars or less

but the general consensus seems to be that there have been a few that have better value than cost would imply like the Simmons true zero , but it seems it is a bit of a gamble until your getting to around a hundred dollars with many , and that fixed power scopes have less to go wrong and seem to be a better value

if i am going to get close to 100 i might as well go with the Nikon 2-7x32 that I know i already like for 149

this 30-30 isn't a primary hunting gun for me , but i suppose i might take it some time.

thank you VA Shooter the Hawke optics do look nice , i like the option of a mil dot , please post a review once you have had yours and have evaluated it some.

kappy
04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
I bought a Vortex recently that works perfectly well. Very clear glass, nice fine hairs, and responsive adjustments. I think it was about $130 at Sportsman's Warehouse?

Ickisrulz
04-09-2012, 09:46 PM
The new Weaver line is fairly inexpensive. I have a 4x fixed unit and like it a lot. I think it runs about $100.00.

kappy
04-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Oh... and I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic which finds its way onto every rifle I have at one time or another. Huge objective lens (as far as I'm concerned), but you can't beat it for $100. At least... I cannot.

ErikO
04-10-2012, 01:56 PM
So NcStar's a non-starter? lol

I'm going to keep my eye on Natchez's sale racks, they post up what sound like good prices on optics from time to time.

7br
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Sometimes it ain't what ya paid for it that makes it expensive, it is what it costs you. My nephew had a scope fail when lining up on a 12 point buck. To him, that was a horribly expensive scope.

I have had good luck with Tasco products.

dmize
04-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I have a Savage Tactical 300 Win Mag that has a Simmons 6.5X20 44 MAg on it since the day I bought it. Also have a savage 22-250 Varmit with same scope. Never had a problem once with either of them,and the 300 just past the 1,000 round mark.
I also have 3 Swift 3X9 on my hunting rifles from oldest sons 243 wifes 7-08 and my Guide Gun,The one on the Guide Gun has had the holy living snot knocked out of it with heavy recoil,never any problems with any of them.
I too would stay away from the really cheap Simmons but would loose a bit of sleep with the others.

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I recently bought a 2-7x NC start LER for my argentine, for 50 bucks, it is amazingly clear,
good click adjustments, and lifetime warranty.
Also got a 4-14 Mueller APV- AO for my 223, Another very nice lower price scope

jcwit
04-11-2012, 01:35 PM
I have gotten along just fine with BSA scopes in 24 and 32 power on both .223 bolt action and .22 rifles. I take care of my equipment and do not knock them around. So far I'm still able to hold my groups to 1/4 inch or under at 100 yds for center fire and the same at 50 yds for rimfire.

This is of course all done with bolt actions.

Yes there is such a thing as high value in the economy price range.

ErikO
04-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I recently bought a 2-7x NC start LER for my argentine, for 50 bucks, it is amazingly clear,
good click adjustments, and lifetime warranty.
Also got a 4-14 Mueller APV- AO for my 223, Another very nice lower price scope

This gives me hope for the 3-9x42 NcStar I have my eye on for $70.

pipehand
04-12-2012, 08:12 AM
I have had very good experiences with Sightron S-I 3x9x40 mildot scopes. Paid about 119 each for a few of them, but I'm sure they have gone up some. Good repeatability, and optical clarity equal to Leupolds rifleman or vx-1 series. Got mine through SWFA.

shdwlkr
04-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Well I have never paid over $250 for a scope and they all do what I ask them to do so I am not sure that a $400 and up scope would be any better for me.

I understand folks likely the better priced scopes have shot friends who have more in a scope than I have in several of my firearms and scopes combined. Yes they are nice, work well but for me are just to much money.

If money were not an issue I would buy nothing but Leupold and that one they talk about that one shot and you can zero it in and is used by our military. Can't think of the name. but money is an issue for me so I used and cheap scopes and they meet my needs.