PDA

View Full Version : 2 boolits, 1 load, 1 Bisley

Thumbcocker
04-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Tried the Ranch Dog 265 pb and the group buy Keith with my standard woods tromping can shooting load of 6.5 of red dot. Russian primers. Groups were shot off hand at 25 yards very slowly. I can hear some of you snickering about being so close but this is pretty good in my skill range and I was one happy chubby middle aged booliteer.

**oneshot**
04-06-2012, 02:54 PM
That's decent shooting in my book. I have been working and working on my offhand shooting.

littlejack
04-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Thats dang good shootin sir.
I don't know any that can do that well, at that distance, off hand. Me included.
I can keep'em in 3" at fifteen yards, standing with a two handed hold, with my Uberti 45Colt.
Jack

375RUGER
04-06-2012, 03:11 PM
which group buy Keith boolit?

Thumbcocker
04-06-2012, 07:25 PM
To clarify by "offhand" I mean a standing two handed hold al la wever. The group buy Kieth shot the tighter group. I have done no load development with the Ranch Dog boolit, just stuck some in a case with a charge that works with the Keiths.

Boolits were acww .431 lubed with lithibee.

44man
04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I will say your shooting is good but I see the flier on both targets.
A very slight change in hold with a Bisley will do that. Your loads look great.
I never got excited with the Bisley because that is what I do with them too. It is measured in ounces or 1/8" difference in hand position. Everyone here knows I hate the Bisley and the S&W 29 grip. I was never able to get the 29 under control and 1/2" groups at 50 meters could move 10" for me. Just putting the gun down and picking it up again could mean a 10" change.
I have shot the Bisley good but I dared not change hold in any way.
Now the 265 gr RD. It is a great boolit. I use Felix lube, 22 gr of 296 and a fed 150 primer to get 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards from the bench. It will maintain 3/4" at 50 yards.
The thing about the 265 gr is that it needs shot faster because of the weight and length.
Your light load is fine and I think you can eliminate the flier with more attention to hold. Use a stronger hold and don't let the grip move at all.
Then looking at the low fliers again makes me ask---DID YOU FLINCH?
I did that with the .22 Mark II when I seen 9 shots make a ragged hole and I blew the last shot! [smilie=l:
None of us are immune. It drives me nuts to see a .22 dip at the empty chamber. :holysheep

50-170-700 sharps
04-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Good shooting thumbcocker, glad to see your Ruger is shooting so well for you.

Thumbcocker
04-07-2012, 06:30 PM
To shoot those groups I was putting the gun down between shots and claring my head and then picking it up again. I dry fire a LOT. My flinching takes one of two forms either I break my wrist anticipating recoil or I get an "Oh my God that is starting to form a tight group" flyer. I have never had any kind of training or coaching so I am sure I make a lot of mistakes.

.44 Man: I wondered if the Ranch Dog boolit didn't need to go a tad faster.

44man
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
To shoot those groups I was putting the gun down between shots and claring my head and then picking it up again. I dry fire a LOT. My flinching takes one of two forms either I break my wrist anticipating recoil or I get an "Oh my God that is starting to form a tight group" flyer. I have never had any kind of training or coaching so I am sure I make a lot of mistakes.

.44 Man: I wondered if the Ranch Dog boolit didn't need to go a tad faster.
Yes, it does shoot better a little faster. No sense going nuts with velocity, just experiment. I use mine for deer so it is faster.
The problem I had with the S&W was putting it down between relays shooting IHMSA. I would center punch the first 5. Pick the gun up for the next relay and miss all 5. The Bisley does the same to me and my hands, not as bad but still a problem if I set the gun down. Shooting at a cardboard chicken at 50 meters with a large cardboard behind it showed it with the S&W. I would have a 1/2" group in the chicken and another 1/2" group 10" away. I could never put the gun down.
A SRH does not do it and just needs held firm, a RH gives me trouble.
I can shift my grip all over with a hog leg and never change POI.
The 5 model 29's I had were tack drivers but they never were used by top IHMSA shooters and those used never had good scores. Different grips might cure it, never tried. So was it just me with a problem? Are grips REALLY that important? Does hand size matter more?
The Bisley bangs my large middle knuckle so maybe I shift too much. I can't get away from the trigger guard.

subsonic
04-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Jim, I have to say that in the past I doubted and dismissed your observations with the Bisley and S&W grips... chocking it up to a personal thing or some other variable, but the more I shoot, and the more I dial my revolvers in and get groups smaller.... I am doubting it less. Nothing conclusive, but I'm starting to see a trend.

For anyone that might doubt that grip consistency is important, don't. Hand placement and grip tension do matter. If you are not comfortable, you will shift your grip and see it on target. As your groups get smaller, it will become more obvious.