PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me?

x101airborne
04-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I have an old recipe that was copied out of the newspaper onto thermal image fax paper and then has been kept around for about 45 years. It is for origional sourdough and called a "Herman". Problem is.... it was a poor copy to begin with and I dont want to lose this recipe. It is already to the point I can barely read it, and in fact I havent tried in about a year, so it may be worse than I realize. Does anyone do document restoration or know who or where I could send this? This recipe is precious to me and I would really like to save it.

waksupi
04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
:kidding::-)Ever think about a pencil and paper?

Ford SD
04-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Don't know if the same

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/herman-sourdough-starter/

oneokie
04-06-2012, 03:31 PM
If you have a document scanner, it may have the ability to enhance your document.

buyobuyo
04-06-2012, 03:43 PM
A google search for herman sourdough brings up quite a few results.

x101airborne
04-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I thought about a pencil and paper. Wise-guy.:kidding:
And I tried the scanner to enhance the writing, but anyone who has dealt with multiple copy thermal fax paper knows that they are VERY susceptable to degredation over time and the ink is **** at best.
And this wasn't for the Herman recipe, it was for the other recipes that accompany the Herman recipe. Carrot cake, muffins, rolls, pancakes, breads, etc. I just dont want to see these go by the wayside.
I have contacted the newspaper and they say they only keep archives for 30 days. Well, since this was about 30 years or more ago, I guess that is out. I did contact the Library in San Antonio and they may or may not be able to find it and it will take up to 60 days for a proper search.
So I guess we will sit and wait!

SciFiJim
04-07-2012, 12:21 AM
You may not be able to restore the original. You may have to settle for saving the data. You could try scanning it at a high resolution, blowing up the resulting picture and trying to pick out each letter or word, one at a time. There are only 26 possible letters, capitols occur at expected places and numbers 0-9. Recipes follow patterns. Your memory will help to fill in the blanks.

x101airborne
04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
You may not be able to restore the original. You may have to settle for saving the data. You could try scanning it at a high resolution, blowing up the resulting picture and trying to pick out each letter or word, one at a time. There are only 26 possible letters, capitols occur at expected places and numbers 0-9. Recipes follow patterns. Your memory will help to fill in the blanks.

[smilie=b: Memory? I forgot what that is!:lol:

WILCO
04-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Herman Sourdough Starter :

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/herman-sourdough-starter/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=herman%20sourdough&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

By: Sue
"This is a recipe for a sweet sourdough starter known as Herman. There are a number of things that can be made from it. It's very important to NOT use metal utensils or bowls! It will take 15 days for the starter to mature and be ready to use the first time you make it. After that it can be ready for use every 10 days."

Ingredients
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar

1 cup white sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 cups milk, divided

Directions
1.In a large glass or plastic container, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Stir in the flour and sugar, mix until smooth. (DO NOT USE A METAL SPOON)! Cover loosely and store in a warm place overnight.
2.The next day, stir and refrigerate.
3.Stir once each day for the next four days. On the fifth day, stir, then divide in half. Give half away with feeding instructions.
4.Feed starter with 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk. Stir until smooth. Cover and place in refrigerator. Stir once each day for next four days.
5.On the tenth day feed again with 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk. Return to refrigerator and stir once each day for the next four days.
6.On the fifteenth day it is ready to be used for baking. Reserve one cup of the starter in the refrigerator and continue to follow the stir and feed cycle (Stir once a day for four days, stir and feed on the fifth day, ready for use on the tenth day.)

buyobuyo
04-08-2012, 01:27 AM
If you can't restore or get a fresh copy. This may prove useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Herman-Sourdough-Watland-Johanson/dp/0934860653

fliintlock555
04-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Try the library they keep newspapers on micro film for many years.

camaro1st
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
if you have a photoshop (the kind that develops pictures) they maybe to help

Shiloh
04-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Don't know if the same

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/herman-sourdough-starter/

Some of the gals from work were giving starter away to make Amish Cinnamon Rolls.
This starter looks very similar.

Shiloh