PDA

View Full Version : More gas check Q's

ShooterAZ
04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry if this has already been asked! I have been using gas checks with flat tipped boolits, and seating them with the Lee push through sizers... no problems. I have expanded my mold collection to include round nosed and pointed boolits and herein lies the problem (if it is one). The bases of the gas checks get a divet or dent right in the middle. Some appear significant...some not so much. I tried pushing through base first and they seat crooked or not all all. Is this detrimental? They seem to shoot accurately and size properly.

Thanks...

lead chucker
04-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Try taking a file and drag the bullet base across it till it is nice and flat. There was a guy on here that told me about doing that and it works. It cleans up where the sprew is cut.

ShooterAZ
04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
No...sorry you mis-understood...The points of the boolits are putting a dent upward into the the bases of the gas checks.

runfiverun
04-06-2012, 06:49 PM
your fine the base is square at the edges.
even with a punch that pushes only on the edges i get a little bit of this too.
the boolits are just a bit small for the sizer to grab hold of them enough to push the check on quite all the way.
if you did get them on without the little dimple the gun would just put it there on it's own.
you can use a push through rod [extra] to do them one at a time, or do one nose first one base first.

ShooterAZ
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks, That is the answer I was hoping for. It never happened with flat nosed boolits.

lead chucker
04-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Try sizing first then run them through again with the gc be worth a try.

Norbrat
04-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Doesn't the push rod push the bullet far enough through such that the next one behind doesn't actually have to apply much force to the base of the one above it?

If not, it should be fairly easy to make a longer push rod.

mrbill2
04-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Are you sure that you have the sizing die turned down far enough in the press. Install the push rod. Bring the ram to the top of the stroke, then screw down the die till it hits the push rod. Now back off the die 1/4 turn and lock in place. Work for me.

RU shooter
04-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Take off the locking nut and screw the sizer die till it wont go no more.The push rod should push the first bullet up past the actual sizing portion of the die.

ShooterAZ
04-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Hmmm...why didn't I think of this??? I will try when I get home tonight.