PDA

View Full Version : 2 Pots

04-03-2007, 01:34 PM
what is the best way to bount a second pot ovet the top of your primary pot? how to you run the lead in to the bottom pot while casting? do you use a pipt or just let it fall in to the bottom pot? how do you do this with out stopping casting. thinking of doing this to keep my bottom pot temp. more steady with out having to stop while the pot gets back up to temp. thanks

jhalcott
04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
With my old Lee pot that would be EASY. just remove the base plate and mount them one above the other. The constant drip SHOULD keep the bottom pot charged up. Some body posted a picture of there attempt. They mounted the top pot on a wooden frame so the spout emptied into the bottom pot. Possibly reversed the base plate on the upper one to have a means to bolt it to the wood.

robertbank
04-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Here is my set-up. I have since added an angle bracket to hold down the top stand. Nearly "bronzed" my privates when I bumpted the stand by mistake.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=10689

I just pour from the top pot. Works great.

Take very fine wire and wire up the spout to the lever at the top of your Lee 10# pot and you will stop the dropping or at least it did on my pot. Stops the clocking of the spout and seems to stop the constant dripping.

Take Care

Bob

dragonrider
04-03-2007, 07:35 PM
I did it thusly.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/double%20pot%20stand/doublepotstand001.jpg
the bottom pot has since been replaced with a new Lee 20 pounder. When the bottom pot gets down to 1/2 I open the top one and almost empty it. Refill the top one with ingots and continue casting from the bottom pot. Works well for me.

StrawHat
04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I have always used two pots for casting but I use them independant of each other.

I heat them both and start casting from one. When it is empty I fill it with ingots and then start casting with the other.

I use three double cavity molds and about the time I am done with the second pot the first is ready to go again.

Saves on the Rube Goldberg effects but with six cavity molds it might not work.

Then I might have to get a couple of 50# pots!

04-04-2007, 09:42 AM
draganrider i have been thinking. if i only cast out of the bottom pot to a point where i would add about 4-5 lbs i wondered would the top pot freez when i add a 5lb ing. . would it be able to pour in to the bottom pot when i was down to where i needed to add the 5lb in to the bottom pot again. if you had a choice of your set up or a magma 90lb pot bottom pour what would you take. what i am after is close to no temp change chile casting. i use 6 cav. cycle 15-20 sec. think if i use 2 6 cav i can cycle in 10 sec. i have casted over 1,000,000 bullets being i use to have a reloading business and now just casting for my self and a couple others i want to do it the right-- best, way . thanks

Sundogg1911
04-04-2007, 02:52 PM
i use a CPalmer "superpot" 15 pounder. it swivels and has a pour spout. once the lee pot gets low i dump the palmer pot into a little cast iron pot and dump it directly into the lee without missing a beat. then I load ingots back into the feeder. This will keep up with 3 moulds no problem. I am thinking about doing the piggy back lee setup. it will save the transfer step and the need to put on heavy gloves.

dragonrider
04-04-2007, 04:52 PM
If I could aford a 90 lb pot I would probably have one, alas I cannot, but I don't get a big temp difference doing it this way. Watching my Lyman thermometer probably about 25 degees if that.