PDA

View Full Version : anneal brass?

gandydancer
04-05-2012, 10:59 PM
annealing 45/70 and other brass. whats the best way to do it with out spending a lot of money?? Thanks. GD :redneck: PS will this help the brass also to last longer??

220swiftfn
04-05-2012, 11:20 PM
There's cheaper, but I use a Bernz-o-matic, a hand drill in a vise, and a lee universal shellholder.... Really consistant results...

Dan

shooting on a shoestring
04-06-2012, 06:44 AM
I put my acetylene torch in a vise pointed up and to the side. Then I simply grab a piece of brass with my bare hands, holding it with both hands, about mid point of shell and at base. Start slowly spinning the brass as I introduce the neck/mouth to the flame about 2 inches from the torch tip. It takes a revolution or two in about a second or two to see some color change. Then drop it in a breadpan to air cool. As quick as it is, the heat doesn't travel to my fingers in the short amount of time it takes to get the neck/mouth annealed. Cheap as I can do it. Good results, not perfect, but it works fine for me.

'74 sharps
04-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Hand held brass and a push button propane torch. On revolution of case with bare hands will make the case a nice straw and sort of case hardened color. Do it in the light, and do not get the brass to a red of any color. I can do 200 in a very short time. Does seem to stop the blowby from the case mouth.........

PanaDP
04-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I chuck a chopstick in my hand drill which just happens to fit in a large primer pocket perfectly. I keep the brass spinning fairly fast while I heat the very mouth until it's just about to incandesce. The reason I spin them in a drill is to apply heat as evenly as possible around the case. Then I air cool them. I don't think water cooling has any ill effect on annealing like it does with iron.

catkiller45
04-19-2012, 08:07 AM
So,how does one know when their brass should be anealed?

I see one fellow does his after every loading.

e15cap
04-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I do mine when I start to feel a difference in bullet seating pressure or every third time fired.
Best, Roger

montana_charlie
04-19-2012, 01:14 PM
So,how does one know when their brass should be anealed?
I see one fellow does his after every loading.
The fellow who anneals at each reloading almost never shoots at a target that is closer than 800 yards. At distances like that, absolute consistency in the ammunition is required to score well.

If you were shooting for fun, the annealing might not be as necessary, and the advantage of annealing for every shot is probably not measurable on a 200 yard target.

It depends on what you need ...

CM

Shooter6br
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Check out Ammosmith.com

Kenny Wasserburger
04-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Well Said Charlie,

I think I know that Nut Case. He does on the rare occasion shoot a good bit at 200-300-600 yards also. But Spends the majority of his personal Range time at 800-900-1000 yards when he can make it to his home Range at the Ranch. Competition Is usally spent on those yard lines though 8-9-1000.

Although I do not know for sure, if, it can be measureable, that same guy shot a 1.336 inch 5 shot Group couple years back in the 5@200 at Raton NM, with PP and annealed brass. As I recall he has two of those 5@200's Trophies, one with GG and one With Paper Patch. Both times annealed cases. He has also secured Several Cups from the America's Creedmoor Cup Match, using Annealed Brass. A Trophy case on the wall I know holds over 1 Dozen Gold Medasl Match Winner From the Nationals for those 3 yardages, again all down with Annealed Brass.

KW
The Lunger

catkiller45
04-19-2012, 05:59 PM
so are you by any chance MR.EGO ??? LOL

Can you explain just what is gained by this act of
annealing...Just what does it do to the brass?

I have heard it causes the case neck to get
smaller to help hold the paper patch bullets
better? Like for the ones that are of bore
diameter...Is there any truth to this?

I am still trying the paper patch sized to
,4495 inch and it is not tight in the case..

If possible I would like some neck tension
on it..Maybe it is not needed as much as
I intend to think it is....

Kenny Wasserburger
04-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Mr Cat slayer,

It aint Ego when you can do it, and do it on demand and have done so for years. The Trohpy case and the Medals and the Paper do not lie.

Annealing will give you a consistant chamber seal, more consistant velocity, will give you very consistant Neck tension-size. I full length size to get the neck size I want, on my PP and GG Loads, GG Loads are expanded a tiny bit to get the neck tension I am looking for. However pretty much since 2009 all my long range shooting has been done with Paper Patch and no neck tension. Chronograph results with Anneal cases are what opened my eyes, along with personal observations coming from fellow shooters watch my loads hold sub MOA elevation at 800 to 1000 yards.

Some years ago I visted with a multi-national Champion on Long Range, I asked a lot of questions, he has many National Records too boot. Annealing was one of his trade Loading methods. I Adopted much of his methods, and from 2005 on I seemed to win a lot more medals, my own national Championship, several regionals, and lots of Gold Medals At Nationals.

I keep very detailed Notes, have for years, making a study of wind, Mirage, temp, Humidity, and the effects on Long Range shooting in general. I have always shared what I have learned freely. I wanted to learn how the Old Dead Guys of the Creedmoor Era could put together such good scores with 10# rifles and Paper Patched bullets. I still have much to learn in my opinion. But I have learned quite a bit the past few years. Raton and Phoenix AZ are two excellent places to shoot and learn the effects of wind, Mirage, and the Lower Humidity of the two areas, Missoula Mt is also an excellent range to test ones loads as it is generaly more humid and much less wind effects.

With generous help from my Father I have built an excellent Traditional Creedmoor Range on our 6500 Acre Ranch here in NE Wyoming, It is a great place to learn and shoot Long Range and hone ones wind dopping Skills at 800-900-1000 yards. Along with a Target we shoot at 1 Mile.

I cast the most perfect bullet I can then size it, patch it and try to load the best ammo I can. Other wise for me the cost the time are all wasted effort.

KW
The Lunger

catkiller45
04-19-2012, 07:11 PM
The Lunger---Thanks for a well written reply...Very informative I must say..I had no
idea that anneling would or could have such an effect on loads..You can bet I will
be trying this as well..I too have several metals I have won from the high power
shoots.I shots 17 years with the marine and army .Have some very fond
memories...Alot of the guys are gone now,and they were all good teachers..
I hope you have several more years of shooting left in you and that you can
continue to do well...Once again I say,I appreciate your remarks....May God be
with you...Be safe,have fun...John

Circuit Rider
04-20-2012, 09:18 PM
KW, used to come through Gillette on a semi-regular basis hauling boats or yachts to the Pacific Northwest or British Columbia. Would love to have seen your setup. Lucky to be able to shoot 200 yds in E. Tn. CR

Kenny Wasserburger
04-20-2012, 09:51 PM
CR,

The Range at the ranch is a pretty neat set up have enjoyed it for a good many years. And has been a very good place, Too: (Go to school as it were).

KW
The Lunger