PDA

View Full Version : new old savage 99 in 32-40

windy
04-05-2012, 06:44 PM
howdy y'all
i just picked up an old savage 99 in 32-40. the barrel had been cut down to 22" and re-dovetailed, but not re-crowned, the stock was broke in a coupla places and about to fall offa th' gun, the bore looked like 20 miles of gravel road, the front sight was gone, and the "patina" made it look like old sewer pipe. in short, beautiful! i took it to my buddy, the armorer--"gunsmith" would be too prissy a word for him--and it turned out he had a stock somebody had given him that sort of fit, after much "bigger hammer" adjustment. we had to refine the dovetail a mite to get an old hawken front sight to fit (more "bigger hammer") and now i'm just achin' to shoot the leetle sucker, but thar ain't nobody got any ammo hereabouts. i sent off to grafs for some brass, and i think i'll be able to load it with my 32 special lee loader, but i don't have a clue what to feed it! anybody got any recipes fer this oldtimer? (it's even older'n me--made in 1903, from the serial number; it was 42 when i got bornt). this baby comes hot on th' heels of a savage 22 hi-power, so i ain't got much folding money to invest in this'n right now.
mind yer topknots!
windy

"sonny, where i growed up, "magnum" was just another word for "lousy hunter"!

richhodg66
04-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I'd sure like to fnd a '99 in .32-40 that I could afford. Surely there is load data out there easily available. If that turns out to be a good shooter, you'll have a real gen there and the beauty of it is, you can refinish it or modify it how you like without worrying much about collector value.

woody1
04-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Just go to Castpics and look at some of the older Lyman Manuals there for load data. Regards, Woody

Bret4207
04-07-2012, 07:53 AM
You don't own a copy of Ken Waters "Pet Loads"?!!! Shame on you. Get one.