PDA

View Full Version : Bacon in recipes help

Ramar
04-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I do a pound of bacon a week and recently been saving the drippens. Got about a gallon jug full in the freezer and need some creative ways to make use of it; I've run out of ideas. I welcome all suggestions or what you do with it. I haven't done the boolit lube search yet.
Rama

waksupi
04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Soap!

felix
04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Fats are excellent mixed in with typical garbage (food, bones, leaves, wood) to make a superior fertilizer. ... felix

Mk42gunner
04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Wilted lettuce.

Home grown eggs fried over easy.

GLL
04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Chicken fried steak in bacon drippings (with a few browned bacon bits)!
Save some resulting drippings in the pan for wilted fresh spinach and use the remainder for gravy (with ground red chili) over mashed potatoes.

As a boy this was our Friday night dinner every other week alternating with pinto beans, corn bread, and a smoked ham shank! We were rather poor but ate VERY well ! :) :)

These have been two of my favorite meals for the past 70 years !

DO NOT inform my cardiologist about this ! :) :)

Jerry

The Dove
04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Fried potatoes.
CFS - Chicken Fried Steak
Gravy
Fried Eggs
Cornbead

The List goes on and on amigo!!!!

The Dove

oneokie
04-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Seasoning for any type of greens. Same for beans or peas. Use in making cornbread.

375RUGER
04-05-2012, 04:01 PM
mix up some loob for hog boolits
pinto beans
carne adavado
bear attractant
and what the The Dove said

dragonrider
04-05-2012, 04:02 PM
My dads most favorite sandwich consisted of cold baked beans and bacon fat.

Dark Helmet
04-05-2012, 08:31 PM
If you are hungry, a grease sandwich. Makes a tolerable Blt if you run of bacon before you get your sandwich made. :mad:

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-05-2012, 08:39 PM
wholly krap,
no one mentioned hash browns ???

that's what I use bacon grease for.
Jon

fatnhappy
04-05-2012, 08:43 PM
wholly krap,
no one mentioned hash browns ???

that's what I use bacon grease for.
Jon

home fries.
cookies.
bird feed

Side note: when I make hash browns in a dutch oven I use a 16" dutch oven with a 14" lid. Put the coals on the lid and it'll go all the way to the bottom so you can crisp up the hash browns on both sides simultaneously. Use generous quantities of bacon grease.

puddledog
04-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Biscuits!

SciFiJim
04-06-2012, 12:46 AM
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 table spoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chilled bacon grease
1 cup buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and then press bacon grease into dry ingredients with a fork until it resembles course meal.

add buttermilk to dry and stir JUST UNTIL moistened.

Pat (do not roll) dough down on cutting board until 3/4 inch thick.

cut with round cutter of desired size.

Pat scraps together and cut rest of biscuits.

If you like soft sided biscuits, place them on cookie sheet with sides touching.
If you like crunchy sides, place them on cookie sheet with about 1 inch separating them.

Bake at 450 until golden brown and delicious .

Butter while still hot or split and serve covered with cream gravy made with bacon drippings.

Ramar
04-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks Guys,
You done real good! I've got more pages to add to "Pa's Recipes".
Ramar

dale2242
04-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Deer steaks and potatoes have to be fried in bacon grease.
Sourdough bisquitsneed to be dredged in it before they are put in the pan to bake.
Every thing goes better with bacon and bacon drippings....dale

Wayne Smith
04-06-2012, 08:55 AM
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 table spoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chilled bacon grease
1 cup buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and then press bacon grease into dry ingredients with a fork until it resembles course meal.

add buttermilk to dry and stir JUST UNTIL moistened.

Pat (do not roll) dough down on cutting board until 3/4 inch thick.

cut with round cutter of desired size.

Pat scraps together and cut rest of biscuits.

If you like soft sided biscuits, place them on cookie sheet with sides touching.
If you like crunchy sides, place them on cookie sheet with about 1 inch separating them.

Bake at 450 until golden brown and delicious .

Butter while still hot or split and serve covered with cream gravy made with bacon drippings.

Now get a pound or so of strawberries, slice thin and intersperse with sugar, let set for about a half day. Cut a biscuit in half, put it in a cereal bowl, cover it with strawberries, pour chiled cream over it, enjoy!

Dark Helmet
04-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Fresh cow's cream- yum over fresh homemade biscuits, much less over strawberry shortcake!:bigsmyl2:

Ramar
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
This my recipe book I've been working on the last 2 years. I'm trying to leave a record of my presence and contributions but, I'm having extreme difficulty remembering lately. My cooking recipes for a house full college roommates in the '60's is easier to remember than what I had for dinner last night.
Ramar

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_215404f7f01fdc70a9.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4718)

oneokie
04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
My dads most favorite sandwich consisted of cold baked beans and bacon fat.

Mom's favorite snack was a sliced biscuit covered with diced onions and covered with warm bacon grease. She was one month shy of her 93rd birthday when she passed.

x101airborne
04-06-2012, 01:31 PM
To add to your book, look up my sausage recipe in the hunting with cast boolits - first upcoming texas hog hunt.

That recipe is about 120 years old with minor adjustments. There has never been a need for any more or less. For that matter, you could use that bacon grease to soften wild game sausage. Works great, just mix it in well.

472x1B/A
04-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Can't belive I havn't seen wilted dandelions in bacon grease yet.We lived on these during the summers back in the '50s. That's some good eating with fired green tomatos.

Ramar
04-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks x101airborne,
Got it and will work on that one.
Ramar

BOOM BOOM
05-27-2012, 11:45 AM
HI,
MY MOUTH IS WATERING!:Fire::Fire:

The Dove
05-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Dadgummit................ Wilted salad, can't beleive I forgot about that..... Be sure to slice up some radishes and green onions in it.....

The Dove

gwpercle
05-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Any recipe that calls for vegtable oil just substitute bacon drippings . Or to conserve your drippings do a 50 / 50 blend veg. oil / bacon drippings.
Corn bread is wonderful with bacon drippings , bisquits , about the only thing it might not work in is cake batter or things like chocolate chip cookies, everything else is fair game.

Back in the day crisco oil wasn't purchased at the superstore... a container was kept on the back of the stove and all meat drippings were poured into it and when you needed oil or grease that's what you used and explains why your Mother's or Grandmother's cooking tasted so wonderful and you can't create that same flavor she imparted to her dishes.

gary