PDA

View Full Version : Extractor search

Molly
04-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi fellows,

I'm looking for a 'star extractor' out of a five shot breaktop 38 S&W revolver. It's labeled "US Revolver Co", but I'm pretty sure it was made by Iver Johnson. So an IJ 5 shot extractor will probably work too.

I picked this one up a while back, but didn't get around to shooting it until yesterday. I enjoy shooting the old junkers, but the star on this one has been messed up. That's located in the center rear of the cylinder. Though it works fine single action, it frequently fails to rotate the cylinder when used double action.

If anyone has a parts pistol laying around, I'd like to buy the extractor out of it. Send me a PM. Haven't tried Gun Parts Corp yet, but that will be my next step.

Mk42gunner
04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Molly,

I'm sure you know this, but check the hand and spring to make sure it is coming out of the frame when cycling the action.

Robert

Molly
04-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Molly,

I'm sure you know this, but check the hand and spring to make sure it is coming out of the frame when cycling the action.

Robert

Yep! The spring is in good shape, and pushes the hand against the rachet or star just fine. The problem seems to be that someone has 'worked on' the gun with a hammer and chisel to the point that the rachet isn't fully engaged, and the hand slips off. Why this happens only in double action mode is a puzzle that I'm still working on. But I fired it about twenty times single action, and it operated fine. then I tried it double action, and it failed to rotate the cylinder three times out of five attempts.

Sure glad I've got other guns for serious social engaements, but the old junkers are still a ball to shoot. Believe it or not, one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned was a snubnose .32 breaktop. That darn thing would break its shots into one hole at 50 feet, assuming I was up to my end of the job. (I'll admit that the pinhead sights made that tough, but it was fun when it all came together.)

Sometimes the easy way out is simple parts replacement, if you can find the part. I'd rather try to find the part than shape a punch and try to re-work the rachet. And all Gun Parts has for it are grips.

Whoever did the first rachet job (rhymes with hatchet job) probably cold worked the metal into brittleness. Still, I could always anneal it I supose. Still, an ejector replacement is the easy way out.