PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor stopped by.

44man
04-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I was cutting grass when he stopped to ask how to set his new .44 dies. Well, what is more important? I grabbed ten of my boolits, 330 gr. He had a box of 300 gr bulk boolits. I did not like them, BB, one GG and a lot of lead surface. Just seating them turned them into semi wad cutters so I put the flat point punch in the die.
He has a SRH and the trigger is very hard, the worst I seen in one. Ultra Dot. I set the dies and loaded a bunch.
At his range, I asked where is the bench? All he had was a seat like for a picnic table. I had to sit on the ground with a pile of 2x4 pieces under a front bag. Really bad to get my glasses in line with the RD. I shot the boolits he had and did about 5" at 50. I shot mine and had about 1" or 1-1/8". A real struggle. I was an inch above the bull so he asked about drop at 100, I said almost nothing. He had a barrel top at 100 with a white spot. I said I will aim at the spot level and centered it 1" low. Then he said to shoot the can at the right. I shot the last 4 at it and could not knock it down so I kept changing my sight picture a little. These were with my boolits now.
We went down and it was not the can, I was shooting at a tree root but the group in the back board was about 2". The can was WAY to the right and I never seen it.
He shot at 50 and was real low with wide fliers. Then an empty chamber came up and he flinched like mad. I need to work with him.
Then he told me he can't sight his Ruger .223, no. I with a leopold 6X20 scope. He inherited from a friend. I shot once with nothing so I bore sighted it and the cross hairs were WAY low and left. I fooled with it and found the scope tube was bent like the gun was dropped on it. No marks so it must have been dropped on the ground or a rug. Have to see what the company says.

Frank
04-06-2012, 10:40 AM
44man:

I was cutting grass when he stopped to ask how to set his new .44 dies. Well, what is more important?
Did you finish cutting your grass? [smilie=l:

44man
04-06-2012, 11:18 AM
44man:

Did you finish cutting your grass? [smilie=l:
Yes and the scope was sent back.
I stopped at his house yesterday and wanted his SRH to make the trigger better but he said no.
One year they were sighting a rifle so I went over. I said give me that thing and got it dead on at 100 and shot a little can at 100 off hand.
I left and they fiddled with the settings.
They cripple and lose more deer then you can shake a stick at.
Is that the mentality of most hunters?
When you need to sight in to account for flinch and fear of the gun, you should never shoot at deer.

Frank
04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
44man:

Yes and the scope was sent back.
I stopped at his house yesterday and wanted his SRH to make the trigger better but he said no.
One year they were sighting a rifle so I went over. I said give me that thing and got it dead on at 100 and shot a little can at 100 off hand.
I left and they fiddled with the settings.
They cripple and lose more deer then you can shake a stick at.
Is that the mentality of most hunters?
When you need to sight in to account for flinch and fear of the gun, you should never shoot at deer.
You did the right thing. Leupold is going to ask for big bucks to fix that scope. They are lifetime warranty, unless you do something to it. Then they make money off of you. All corporate types now.

starmac
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
You did the right thing. Leupold is going to ask for big bucks to fix that scope. They are lifetime warranty, unless you do something to it. Then they make money off of you. All corporate types now.

I don't know what else a guy would expect, Leupold is not a non profit org.

44man
04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
When he gets it fixed I will post. I am interested if they charge too.
It is too good of a scope to toss out.

Frank
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I would expect at least a straight reticle when they are new. Why is that so hard to accomplish? You can pay up $1,000 for a scope that is canted. If you send it back, they will return to you the same. 2 degrees off is "in spec."

starmac
04-06-2012, 08:50 PM
I would expect at least a straight reticle when they are new. Why is that so hard to accomplish? You can pay up $1,000 for a scope that is canted. If you send it back, they will return to you the same. 2 degrees off is "in spec."

Where does a new scope come into play here, an inherited one with a bent tube is what I read.

44man
04-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Where does a new scope come into play here, an inherited one with a bent tube is what I read.
Yes, I suspect the original owner dropped the gun. But he is long gone and the gun has been in a gun cabinet since.
I have a huge problem when guys come to shoot. I have a rug with pads in my basement but they stand guns up. I tell them to lay the gun on the floor, never stand it up so it can fall.
Another problem is when they take the guns home in a gun case. I tell them to remove the gun from the case when they get home. NEVER store a gun in a gun case.
I have seen Browning auto 5's welded to the inside of gun cases.

BOOM BOOM
04-07-2012, 11:10 PM
HI
CUTTING GRASS, UGH!
No wonder you went shooting.
Guess you were not lucky,..... the wife did not finish it for you.
But dear , a friend came by & asked for my help.:bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
04-08-2012, 06:11 AM
I dropped a rifle off the hood of my truck onto pavement that had a leupold 2x7 on it and it landed right on the scope bell. Not a scratch anywhere else on the gun. I sent it to leupold and told them exactly what happened. I knew the scope was 20 years old and figured id have to pay for it. About 2 weeks later it or another new one showed up at the door. I dont know if they fixed mine and refinished it or sent another as there was no letter of explanation with it but point being that they fixed if free. Maybe they thought it was refreshing that someone sent them something and didnt write a dog at my homework letter along with it.

subsonic
04-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Leupold is good. It's the cool thing not to like them on some of the sniper forums, but they are solid scopes made in the USA. I like mine, canted reticle and all.

If it has the golden ring, they'll probably take care of it gratis.

Hardcast416taylor
04-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Never had a problem with Leupold about their scopes of rings and mounts. The thing that really steams my rice is when people have me sight their rifles in then have another person, that isn`t capable, do it over again and has it zeroed for shots into the next county and guess who gets the blame?Robert

9.3X62AL
04-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I've never understood having someone else sight-in a rifle that I'm going to hunt with. I REALLY don't understand the matter with a sideiron.

jwp475
04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Leupold is good. It's the cool thing not to like them on some of the sniper forums, but they are solid scopes made in the USA. I like mine, canted reticle and all.

If it has the golden ring, they'll probably take care of it gratis.

Leupold no longer puts "Made In America" on the box nor do they advertise such since they out source to foreign manufacturer's

subsonic
04-08-2012, 08:22 PM
The VX3 I just bought said "made in usa" right on it.:???:

Maybe only the lower lines are using imported stuff?

44man
04-09-2012, 08:11 AM
I've never understood having someone else sight-in a rifle that I'm going to hunt with. I REALLY don't understand the matter with a sideiron.
That is something I don't run into much on my range, we can all use the same sight settings.
But that bunch down the road are funny. They shoot for hours and fiddle with settings all the time. The problem is none of them can shoot and chase misses all over with the settings.
Now you should join me in deer season! I really want stock in the ammo companies! I have never figured out where these guys bought 15 shot bolt guns. :veryconfu
Not just at his woods either, even up in the fields.

Frank
04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
44man:

Now you should join me in deer season! I really want stock in the ammo companies! I have never figured out where these guys bought 15 shot bolt guns.
Not just at his woods either, even up in the fields.
Sounds like a nice place. :drinks: