PDA

View Full Version : Marlin lever action 45 lc

dmdracer
04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" 45 lc last summer and have enjoyed shooting and working up cast loads...mild to sorta wild, I really enjoy this handgun.

I feel in love with this caliber and have been looking for rifle since. They are not made any longer and I have found a few along the way but wow.... they must be made of gold !

I recently found one out of state for a fair price and I'm waiting for it to come in.

Do any of you have one and can you share any experience with it such as accuracy... how far would you use it for deer hunting and what loads do you find the best groups with and anything else you care to share ?

I have 2 Marlins in 357 and a 336 in 30-30 I enjoy shooting and hunting with them .... great rifles.

Any comments on the above ?

Thanks for your replys

Dave

JohnnyFlake
04-05-2012, 11:48 AM
I purchased a Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" 45 lc last summer and have enjoyed shooting and working up cast loads...mild to sorta wild, I really enjoy this handgun.

I feel in love with this caliber and have been looking for rifle since. They are not made any longer and I have found a few along the way but wow.... they must be made of gold !

I recently found one out of state for a fair price and I'm waiting for it to come in.

Do any of you have one and can you share any experience with it such as accuracy... how far would you use it for deer hunting and what loads do you find the best groups with and anything else you care to share ?

I have 2 Marlins in 357 and a 336 in 30-30 I enjoy shooting and hunting with them .... great rifles.

Any comments on the above ?

Thanks for your replys

Dave

I have been looking for one myself, as I too love the .45 Colt caliber. I have found a fair number online but I do not want to spend what they are asking at this time. Your statement that they are not made any longer is really not correct. Henry, Uberti &, Rossi are still producing them and from my research, they appear to be very good guns. Marlin or Remlin as some refer to them now days, did stop production sometime last year but they say that they will start producing them again sometime late this year.

What did you buy?

dmdracer
04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
John,

I should have said Marlin has not made them since somewhere around mid 90's... as I understand... but of course I could be wrong. I have not heard that Marlin will start making 45lc again ??

Yes, I have looked at the "other" manfs. out there and was considering a Rossi since the Marlins out there are too pricey, for me !

I decided to call Rossi to ask a few questions.... I waited for approx. 15 mins, and when the recording came back and asked to leave a voice message and they would get back ASAP, I did just that stating I was looking at buying one, etc...... I have never heard back from them so I decided to NOT buy a Rossi.... customer service became questionable in my mind !

I know lots of folks love their Rossi's and have good results... not knocking them at all.

I am an old fart so the eyes are not like the use to be so that was a lil negative for the Rossi, I need a scope !

I have a 20" round barrel Marlin 1894 45 lc being shipped Friday, (just got the confirmation my check did not bounce too high and shipping is Friday) so I'm like a 61 yo kid at Christmas waiting till next week to "play" :)

I'm glad I have a little patience and hopefully my reward will be next week sometime.

Good luck in your search

Dave

GARCIA
04-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I have one down in the man cave.
Shoots anything that I feed it.
If you decide you have just got to shoot the "Ruger Only" bullet you will have to do some minor work.
I changed out the ejector and changed the stop length on the cartridge lifter/carrier. Needed the extra length to eject a loaded round.
Load it from mild to wild and have not had any problems.

Tom

dmize
04-05-2012, 09:57 PM
I have always been a Marlin fan and a 45 Colt fan. I bought a 45 Colt Cowboy several years ago,I admit to a weakness for single actions and rifles with octagon barrels. It shoots 255 LSWC's very well. I also shot my biggest buck,in fact the only deer I ever had mounted with it.
I have seen a couple Rossi's with CCH that made me drool,but I would wait and pinch pennies and get the Marlin. And the reciever is allready tapped and threaded for a scope base.

Mk42gunner
04-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Marlin made the 1894CB (24" octagon) until sometime in the mid 2000's I think. The one I have was made in 2000 and likes plinking loads with a 250Grain RNFP or deer loads consisting of the Lyman 452424 in front of a healthy dose of 2400.

The plinkers out to 25yards are put the bead where you want a hole accurate. The Kieth bullet is also very accurate in my rifle.

I haven't managed to kill a deer with mine yet, I always seem to have something else in my hands when I see Bambi's cousin.

The one thing I did not like about the 1894CB was that it came with a full buckhorn rear sight and a very tall bead at the muzzle. I changed the rear to a flat topped Marbles sight, it is better (for me) but I think I will change both sights to get it more in line with my other Marlins;there is enough difference in line of sight to make a noticable change in cheek positioning when sighting the rifle.

Robert

dmdracer
04-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Garcia... Thanks for the reply, I'm familiar with the modifications you speak of.

You must have been shooting some "heavy" boolits to need the mod.

Dmize... congrats on the buck, that's my plan too... big buck :) Not sure what CCH is on the Rossi ?

Gunner... "Made them till mid 2000", was not aware of that, I was told mid 90's, Maybe when Marlin get's their act together they will make them again ! Seems to be a market...IDK ? ?
This one is missing the iron sights but has a mount that will work for me, maybe I'll order some replacement sights eventually so it will be stock !

Any more replys are appreciated.

I'll try to post a pic that was sent to me

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/dmdracer/Marlin%2045%20lc/th_IMAG0892.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v521/dmdracer/Marlin%2045%20lc/?action=view&current=IMAG0892.jpg)

Thanks all

btroj
04-06-2012, 10:09 AM
My Marlin 1894 CB with the 24 inch octagon barrel is a great rifle. Took a couple hogs and a couple deer with it. Mine has a Williams receiver sight on it.
I have loaded it hot. Tend not to do that now. Got a 45-70 that handles those duties.
Mine loves largely on a diet of a 290 gr flat more group buy bullet over 10.5 gr o #105 surplus powder. Gives in the 1100 fps range, is very accurate, and I have no doubt it would be a great hunting load.

The 24 inch barrel makes for better handling in my opinion. It swings like a shotgun so it is the gun I turn to if I need to track a deer.

KCSO
04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
I had a Marln 45 CB with the cut rifled barrel and it was an exceptionaly accurate gun with cast bullets. The gun would group under 2" at 100 yards with iron sights and at 50 yards cut one ragged hole. With top loads from the 24" barrel I was shootng a 250 grain bullet at 1800 fps and it WAS a der gun. Kinda like a baby 45-70. The only problem with the gun was case bulging and that was the way the chamber was cut.

btroj
04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, case bulging is an issue. Mine does it too. Case failures tend to be splits the length of the case. I can get 10 p
Is loads per case so I don't fret over it too much, the brass isn't that expensive.

I have shot 265 wfn bullets into the 1600 to 1700 fps range. I don't we that heavy a load anymore, decided I just don't need the speed.

.45Cole
04-06-2012, 03:19 PM
dmdracer-
I also have a 1894CB45 and it is GREAT. wait and find one of these. It is great for long range (I put a full buckhorn ladder sight on it).
You should know that the trigger on mine sucks and the chamber is cut too big (the rifle is a starting point, like a ruger BH)
If you have one of the 24" (1894cb45) then you can have the barrel cut and rechambered and still have a 22"ish barrel.
Don't buy a microgroove barrel, they are great but foul fast, the 1894cb45 is a ballard cut barrel.

bigjeepman
04-06-2012, 03:59 PM
The .45 colt in a Marlin rifle or a Ruger Blackhawk is at the top of my "favorite list." Here is my .45 colt 1894 CB Limited (1 of a 1,000), a Ruger BH, and a Ruger Bisley Vaquero all in .45 colt. I shoot 250gr cast in all of them with good results ...
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/bigjeepman_photos/Firearms/Panasonic212.jpg

smoked turkey
04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
bigjeepman welcome to the forum! Looks like you are knee deep in .45 caliber fun. I have been reading this thread and it has me kinda wishing I had one of the Marlins. I warn you jeepman, this place will do that to a person. They are all a bunch on enablers. I guess that is what keeps me coming back.
dmdracer I think you made a good buy on the Marlin. I have a few Marlins and I really like them. My .444 is a perfect woods deer rifle. I have thought I maybe shouldn't have, but several years ago (possibly 30?), I had my .444 cut down to 18.25". It is nice to carry in the rough stuff. The main problem with the short barrel is that it is not tall enough to sit in my gun rack like all the long guns are supposed to.

dmdracer
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow, thanks to all that replied, I appreciate your sharing.

I have a Mihec SAA 270 gr. w/ pins, I've have 2 good loads I've worked up for the Blackhawk, and as I said earlier... I love it ! These run around 900 fps and 1130 fps .... cast with the solids, .454", Alox lube, 290 gr. ...fast enough for me and good accuracy.

I also have a 200 gr and 225 gr. group buy molds for the 1911, I have some loaded but have not tried them yet.

I plan to use these same in this rifle and adjust as needed.... assume it will pkup. fps from the rifle.

KCSO 2" groups @ 100 is good enough for me :)

BTROJ Bulging huh... well good to know, I'll keep an eye on that :(.... brass is not that bad $$

.45COLE I got the Tracking # this eve.... should have by next Tuesday, micro grove is ok, the other 3 Marlins are the same and they all shoot well.

Jeepman Nice pic of some great "stuff" you have :)

This will compliment my Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" ! well that's the plan anyway :)

BTW Welcome to castboolits :) I like the "sig line" lot of truth it is

I'll update once I get more "personal" with her :)

Thanks all, I've enjoyed the conversation

Dave

bigjeepman
04-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys ...

I'm a Marlin guy and enjoy the ones I have a lot. Looking forward to reading/learning here ...

Ziptar
04-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Don't buy a microgroove barrel, they are great but foul fast, the 1894cb45 is a ballard cut barrel.

My .45 Colt Marlin 1894 has a round 20" microgroove barrel has at least 1000 of my cast bullets down it. I'd have to strongly disagree with your statement as I've had no fouling or leading problems to date.

Wow, thanks to all that replied, I appreciate your sharing.

I have a Mihec SAA 270 gr. w/ pins, I've have 2 good loads I've worked up for the Blackhawk, and as I said earlier... I love it ! These run around 900 fps and 1130 fps .... cast with the solids, .454", Alox lube, 290 gr. ...fast enough for me and good accuracy.

Nice choice on your 1894, I am an oddball I guess as I prefer the round barrel over the octagon.

The MP 270-SAA is my favorite bullet, its almost perfect I think. I got the solid mold they drop at ~285 gr. I size mine to .452 and lube with Carnuba Red. Loaded over 10 grains of Unique they are dead on with very little bullet drop at 100 yards.

I've had zero issues with feeding, chambering, and ejecting with the 270-SAA.

Your Marlin will love them!

When you get the rifle I'd be interested to hear the specifics about it. There have been several 1894 .45 Colt 20" round barrel runs over the years.

There was the original 1894S in 1993, there were 1000 made in that run.

Around 2003 there was another run of round barrel .45 Colt 1894s for Big 5 Stores. They were fitted with Birch stocks and originally sold for $395.00. I can't recall 100% for sure but, I believe they were microgroove as opposed to balled rifled.

(And for the sake of completeness but, not microgooved.)
In 2009 another run was done for Cabela's however they were Walnut stocked and Ballard Rifled. Most of the Cabela's production was done at New Haven but, some have now surfaced taht have been produced in Ilion from left over New Haven parts. Easiest way to tell is to check the proof stamp on the barrel a "JM" on the left will be New Haven (Original Marlin Co.) production a "REP" on the right will be Iilon (Remington) production . Also check the serial number, the New Haven production guns start with 91-, Iilion, NY production starts with MR.

My 1894 is none of these. It started out life as a pre-safety .44 Mag and I had it re barreled for .45 Colt with a factory Marlin microgroove barrel left over from the original 1993 1894S run.

j20owner
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
In 2009 another run was done for Cabela's however they were Walnut stocked and Ballard Rifled. Most of the Cabela's production was done at New Haven but, some have now surfaced taht have been produced in Ilion from left over New Haven parts. Easiest way to tell is to check the proof stamp on the barrel a "JM" on the left will be New Haven (Original Marlin Co.) production a "REP" on the right will be Iilon (Remington) production . Also check the serial number, the New Haven production guns start with 91-, Iilion, NY production starts with MR.

I have one of these purchased on Black Friday last year. It's a REP marked, 91-S/N gun, fwiw. Good gun.

Ziptar
04-09-2012, 06:39 AM
I have one of these purchased on Black Friday last year. It's a REP marked, 91-S/N gun, fwiw. Good gun.

REP marked with a 91- serial number. First i've herd of one of those.

GARCIA
04-09-2012, 07:49 AM
dmdracer:

Here is what those beasts look like!
Ran some of the RCBS 270 SAA that were wqww's up to over 1700fps.
The big boy's are getting 1500+fps.

Tom

BorderBrewer
04-11-2012, 09:55 PM
I have one of the round barrel 1894s I bought at Big 5. It is Ballard Rifled. My daughter has taken it over as it is her favorite plinking rifle.

pkie44
04-12-2012, 01:07 AM
I recently picked up one of the cabellas 20" round barrel jm rifles. Anyone tried any 325 flatnose lyman boolits?

Bassleg
04-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I love my 20" Marlin that I purchased @ big 5 it shoots gas check 272 gr and 255 flat base
1 big hole at 50 yards

dmdracer
04-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Well, I picked up the rifle Tuesday eve, looks good except the missing sights, owner had stated that.

I cleaned it, was not bad, serial # begins with 91, think that makes it born in 1999. Installed the Redfield 2x7 scope we had previously mounted on the 357 Marlin.

I had some 290 gr solids worked up to 9.0 gr Unique that I had used in the Blackhawk (900 fps)

I loaded 5 rds and fired 2 from 25yds and they were 6" high and 2 " left but they were one hole ! wow, that's encouraging ! I made an adjustment and fired one more closer but another adjustment and fired again, around 1" high of bullseye, good enough for now.

My wife came in and I asked her if she wanted to shoot the last one and told her what I had done, etc, she took the last shot and aimed at the bottom of the bull and hit in the top of the bull.... another smile on "our" face.

Yesterday a/n I was able to go to the range and try it out @ 100 yd.
I only had the 9.0 gr load and shot a couple that were about 5" high and slightly left, made some adjustments and shot some more.

I'd say the groups were in the 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" range and were chronograph around 1125 fps, that's around 200 fps more than from the Blackhawk. As expected.

I had forgot to bring the 1125 fps from the BH rds. so still need to try those out and see what I have there. I think they will go just under 1400 fps ? ?

I will continue to work up some loads as the summer goes on and by the hunting season I should have a good rd. ready for deer season..... well that's the plan !

I think I can gain a love affair with this rifle !

For those that asked what they go for....I have with shipping and transfer $490.00 in it.... I'm happy with that too !

Sorry, no pics at the moment but you all know what they look like :)

Thank you all for your posts and should any have any worked up loads to share I'd like to hear them ;)

I have not checked for any leading, etc yet, I will check all that out today and maybe try out the other load I had forgot to bring.

You all take care,

Dave

1Papalote
04-14-2012, 06:40 AM
All my dovetailed Marlins wear SKINNER front sights. Great sight picture and file to adjust. I have slowly changed the rear sight to the Marlin factory folding type. There are several heights of this rear sight. You will be pleased with your Marlin.

1Papalote

Roperman
05-22-2014, 02:45 AM
I just picked up a 1894s 45 LC 20 inch round barrel made in 1989. I ordered skinner sights for it and plan on shooting the 265 grain from cast performance if it shoots well. I don't think they made many of these little 1894's in 45LC. Someone had put a cowboy back sight on it that I took off.

osteodoc08
05-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Zombie thread!

I see dad had some input on this discussion back in 2012. It was actually MY 1894CB he was referring to, that rascal! I sure do miss him. Today marks 1 year of his passing. I digress though.

Back on topic:

I still have it and my favorite do everything load for it is the 45-270-SAA in front of 13.5gr HS-6 giving me 1360fps out of the 20" octagon barrel. Its a moderate pressure load that can also be used in my Smith M25 Mountain Gun. Now that one is a handful with that load, but equally accurate at handgun ranges.

I also have a REP stamped 45 carbine that I put a small low power scope on. Still working with load development. I'm doing good out to 50yds with it, but 100 yd groups are horrible.

dmdracer
05-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Wow, this is an older thread but that's OK :)

Roperman.... I'm sure you will enjoy your 45 LC.

Mine is round and 20" also, I put a Redfield 2 x 7 on mine..... 63 yo eyes need the help !

Enjoy !

dmdracer
05-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Osteodoc,

Sorry for your loss a year ago, I know you do miss him.... just curious, what was the "rascals" screen name ?

I also use the 270 round, mine comes out about 288 gr and I also use HS6 but 12grs which is around 1200 fps, plenty of power for the deer around Indiana.

I have taken 3 deer with this rifle the last 2 seasons and all have been complete pass thru... 2 have been about 50 yds and the 3rd was around 65 yds.... too easy !

My Blackhawk 5.5, I use 9 gr of Unique, this is also a good round, little better than the HS6 as for accuracy but not as good in the rifle.... truth be known... either one would probably work just fine for Indy's deer population.

I'm around 2 1/2 to 3" groups with the HS6 load out of the rifle @ 100 yds, thought about working more on that accuracy but the groups I was getting was "good enough" for hunting and I was running out of time before opening day.... worked good enough... 3/3 :)

Good luck with your carbine development, post results as you progress.

respectfully,

Dave

Pereira
05-26-2014, 09:04 AM
dmd I like how some of these old threads get reserected from time to time. Heck I reserected one on the 444 just just the other day.
I don't have a 45colt rifle, but do have a Ruger BH 45 convertible, and a Vaquero also. The only mold I have at the present is a lee 452-230, ( just started casting this past Dec.)bought it for my acp's, but have loaded it a little in the colt cases with 8, & 8.5grs. of Unique for some pretty accurate shooting.

Baltimoreed
05-28-2014, 06:26 PM
I have 2 1894 Marlins, an old 24 in oct bbl and a 20 in rd bbl ( wife's rifle). The oct bbl has real rifling while the other has micro groove, as long as you use hard lead bullets there is no leading to speak of in either. I have done the coping saw/ jb weld repair on my gun's lifter, replaced 2 broken one piece firing pins and replaced the mag spring and follower over the many years I've been doing CAS. The Marlin is still running great. Have more .45s than anything else, Colt 1911s and New Services, Smith Hand Ejectors, Ruger Vaqueros and Webleys. Can't go wrong with a .45.

osteodoc08
05-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Osteodoc,

Sorry for your loss a year ago, I know you do miss him.... just curious, what was the "rascals" screen name ?

I also use the 270 round, mine comes out about 288 gr and I also use HS6 but 12grs which is around 1200 fps, plenty of power for the deer around Indiana.

I have taken 3 deer with this rifle the last 2 seasons and all have been complete pass thru... 2 have been about 50 yds and the 3rd was around 65 yds.... too easy !

My Blackhawk 5.5, I use 9 gr of Unique, this is also a good round, little better than the HS6 as for accuracy but not as good in the rifle.... truth be known... either one would probably work just fine for Indy's deer population.

I'm around 2 1/2 to 3" groups with the HS6 load out of the rifle @ 100 yds, thought about working more on that accuracy but the groups I was getting was "good enough" for hunting and I was running out of time before opening day.... worked good enough... 3/3 :)

Good luck with your carbine development, post results as you progress.

respectfully,

Dave

Dave,

Dad's screen name is our last name: Garcia

He loaded up several hundred rounds using the 13.5gr HS-6 with the RCBS 45-270-SAA boolit. It is approx 1360 out of my 1894CB IIRC. I have 350-400 downstairs and I know I saw a whole bucket full left last time I was home. So I'm guessing he loaded close to 1000 initially. They shoot great and cycle like butter. I use them in my Smith 25 Mtn Gun. Now THATS a handful.