PDA

View Full Version : Mixing linotype and lead?

Alstep
04-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I have some linotype and some plain lead. What do you guys recommend I dilute the linotype with the lead for pistol, and for rifle loads?

gbrown
04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Alstep--go up to Sticky titled The Definitive Answer page for Lead and Alloys! Make sure you bookmark or put under favorites--look at Cast bullet alloy--in that thread look at common alloy recipes. This is just as it is titled in Cast Boolits. An unbelievable reference source.

454PB
04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
It all depends on the amount of each you have. I have a lot of lino and monotype, so I'm not concerned about conserving it.

4 to 1 lead to lino is a close match to wheelweight alloy and can be used in the same applications. 1 to 1 becomes "hardball" or a slightly tin reduced Lyman #2. This is the one I use the most for rifle and magnum handgun boolits.

I've also experimented with water dropping various ratios and had good results, but I mostly avoid water dropping and heat treating due to my available supply.

runfiverun
04-04-2012, 10:17 PM
3 parts pure to 1 part lino.
waterdrop for the higher velocity rifle stuff.
you can also just use 50-50 for paper punching rifle stuff at 18-1900 too.
i would consider making a couple of small batches,and measuring what your mold gives you then adjusting.

ShooterAZ
04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
3 lead to 1 lino is what I have been using lately. It has been working well in all my handgun and GC rifle loads. I do have a large stash of 1-1 that I'm still figuring out what to do with. Will probably dilute it down at some point. I don't need my alloy to be that hard.

Larry Gibson
04-05-2012, 07:07 PM
As already mentioned a 3-1 mix (lead- linotype) is a good "all around" alloy. The mentioned 4-1 mix is a good handgun alloy for upwards of 1400 fps (just my opinion & experience). I prefer a 3 1/2 or 4 to 1 linotype - lead mix for my AC'd high velocity CF rifle cast bullets. With it I have pushed to 2600 fps with 1 1/2 moa accuracy in several cartridges with 14" twists. I do not find linotype alone to be a good alloy, especially with narrow driving bands on the cast bullet. It has too high an antimony content for the tin present and is brittle.

Larry Gibson

Alstep
04-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your advise. Appreciate it all. I'll try 3-1 and go from there. Have accumulated a good supply of both. Been shooting and loading for over 50 years, recently getting into casting, I've got a lot to learn here.
Regards, Al

sixshot
04-06-2012, 01:22 AM
I use quite a bit of 5 parts lead to 2 parts linotype in my hunting guns, its worked quite well for a long time. Wish I had more lead & I do have a lot of linotype.

Dick

gbrown
04-06-2012, 09:17 AM
A couple more references for you--the very top listing on the forum Homepage "Classics & Stickies". One is entitled "From Ingot to Target" This is a book by Glen Fryxell (think I spelled it right) that was never published. He also has a number of articles on LASC. Very informative. Also, Cornell Publishing makes reprints of 2 of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. One's about 16.00 and the other like 24.00 plus shipping.

bumpo628
04-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Here is the math for common lino/lead mixes:

Linotype is 4% tin, 12% antimony, 84% lead
If you mix it with pure in the following ratios (pure:lino), here is what you will get:
1:1 = alloy with 2% tin, 6% antimony (aka Hardball)
2:1 = alloy with 1.33% tin, 4% antimony
3:1 = alloy with 1% tin, 3% antimony
4:1 = alloy with 0.8% tin, 2.4% antimony
5:1 = alloy with 0.67% tin, 2% antimony
6:1 = alloy with 0.57% tin, 1.7% antimony
7:1 = alloy with 0.5% tin, 1.5% antimony

For rifle, stick to Hardball end of the spectrum. Low velocity pistols work fine with alloys on the low-lino side.