PDA

View Full Version : surplus alloy

twotoescharlie
07-01-2005, 04:30 PM
I have connections to an unlimited supply of the trimmings that is used to frame stained glass windows. I have melted some down into ingots, but it doesn't cast bullets very well, it seems to be very hard.
does anyone have an idea what this alloy consist of as I can get all of it that I want and would like to make use of it. maybe I could make anchors with it?
thanks,
TTC

Willbird
07-01-2005, 04:58 PM
http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/MAIN.htm

I knew that stuff had a weird name, do you suppose they are using the zinc ??

Bill

drinks
07-01-2005, 10:23 PM
I do know it is called "Came" do not know what it is, except it can be melted with a regular soldering iron, so must be either lead or Tin based, likely Tin as it does not seem to change color as it ages.
Of course, it may be pewter.

twotoescharlie
07-03-2005, 07:13 PM
so far I have found out that this stuff is called "came", it is made in lead, zinc and several other metals. I have have not found any sites that have it in lead, but plenty in zinc and "soft zinc".
I'm still wondering if it may be alloyed with some other soft metals ( I have alot of pure lead and wheel weights) in order to cast a decent boolit, and what would be the negative effects to a firearm.
I noticed that the site that I pulled up on "zinc" said that it was brittle.
anyone have any ideas?

TTC

Leftoverdj
07-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Run a specific gravity test on it. A given weight of zinc will displace significantly more water than the same weight of lead or a lead alloy. I can't see it being tin simply because of the value of tin.

StarMetal
07-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Zinc is very hard compared to bullet alloys. It's thus very brittle. It's also alot lighter then lead so makes very light bullet out of a supposely heavy bullet casting mould. Army reportly used zinc bullets to test armor plate.

Don't mix it with your regular bullet alloys or utensils, it will contaminate it, and won't cast good.

Joe