PDA

View Full Version : Range report: My 'new' 123 year-old '73

KirkD
04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Rifle: Winchester 1873, 44 WCF (aka 44-40), received in warehouse August 1, 1889

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Desktop%20Photos/73up.jpg

Groove diameter: I pounded a .4305 diameter soft lead bullet down the bore, thinking that would be wide enough. Upon exiting, I could see that the lead slug had not even touched the bottoms of the grooves. This old 44-40 has a groove diameter of at least .431 if not even bigger.

Bullet: 200 grain plain base bullet from Lyman mould 427666, using wheel weights sized to .429.

Load: 18.5 grains of 5744 for about 1,286 fps. Here's a photo of my cartridges ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/Cartridges-up.jpg

I was not at all optimistic about this first range trial because my lead bullets were undersize by at least .002 if not more. I expected that leading would commence fairly rapidly and within one or two shots, I would not even be on paper. 18.5 grains of 5744 gave me original black powder ballistics, but with a significantly lower peak pressure, which would make it unlikely that the bullet would be bumped up to seal the throat. Regardless, I decided to head off to the range to establish a lower baseline for bad loads.

Shooting set-up: For fine shooting were accuracy is important, I use my shooting bag for a rest. I don't have one of those fancy expensive bench rests, but someday I'd like to get one. I rested my left fist on a pile I made up of my iPhone with my wallet stacked on top of it. The rear stock then rested on my fist, which sat on top of that little pile. Here's a photo of my shooting set-up ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/Shooting-arrangement.jpg

Results:

Since I had no idea where the sights pointed, I took a shot at 50 yards to see if I was on paper (8 ½" x 11). The windage looked good and I was a bit high. I figured I should be good for 100 yards, so I took a shot at 100 yards and went down to look at it. Bang on. I then changed the paper and went back and took 3 careful shots. It was hard because that front sight was blurry what with my old eyes and the wind making them teary. Then I went down to check. What a surprise! The three shots gave me a group of 2 1/8" at 100 yards. This old '73 has potential, as I'm sure that group was a bit loose due to the fact that the sights were blurry. A younger fellow could really drive tacks with this old gun. Here's the target ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/73-target.jpg

I then put up a fresh sheet and used my last five rounds. Two of the shots were right on where they should be. The third was a couple inches left and high, and the last two were just off the paper to the right. I figured the old '73 was starting to lead up with those undersize bullets. Still, the first 7 rounds were all bang on. I went home and peered down the barrel. Clean and shiny from the muzzle end, but looking through the breech end, it looked like leading in the grooves just forward of the chamber. When I shoved that first piece of flannel soaked in Hoppes No. 9 down the bore, I could feel increasing rough friction as the patch got hear the bore. It actually cleaned out quite easily. Perhaps it is due to the fact that this bore is shiny, smooth and pretty much mint. (Don, I'm getting some turpentine tomorrow).

Next Steps:

I have to bump up the bullet to fill the throat. I have three options:

1. According to my copy of a Winchester 1896 catalogue, their 44 WCF (44-40) bullets were made of 'pure lead'. Those would bump up easier that wheel weights. I plan to make me some this weekend.

2. Use FFFg. That will give me a nice sharp pressure spike significantly higher than my 5744 load.

3. Use a faster smokeless powder to give me a pressure spike closer to FFFg.

I could also go with a combination of pure lead bullet and faster powder. I think I'll start with a pure lead bullet and my 5744 load.

MtGun44
04-04-2012, 02:32 PM
great results. Mike Venturino swears that these guns need to be shot only with
black for safety and to get the best performance. I don't know.

Good results it would seem. Why not just use a .44 mag cast boolit in pure lead?

Bill

KirkD
04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Bill, my '73 requires a pretty short bullet to feed properly. Worst case scenario, I'll get another mould. However, I'd like to know just how fat a bullet I can chamber before taking that step. I had another original '73 that would chamber a .432" bullet, but a lot of them will not, or so I hear.

Greg B.
04-04-2012, 02:46 PM
I would go with the pure lead and the 5744 first. That way you are controlling for only one variable and can assess the results easily. The leading may be due to the fact that you are getting some initial blow by and the softer lead may seal better. Great rifle.

Greg B.

04-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Yowsa! That 2 1/8" @ 100 tells you all you need to know about the potential of the rifle and load. Well done, easy to understand write-up.

You can take a swag at the max bullet diameter for your chamber. Take the neck OD of a fired case. Add .001-2" to that neck OD for brass springback. That will be more or less your chamber neck diameter. Then just subtract 2X the neck wall thickness of that case from the estimated chamber neck diameter.... the result will be about the max bullet diameter for the chamber. Ideally, you'll want a little more slop in the chamber than a zero clearance fit, but it should give you an estimate of the max bullet diameter.

BTW, those Swaro-optiks ain't cheap glass! :)

KirkD
04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
405, you are right about those Swarovski's. I had to sell a couple old Winchesters to pay for them but they were sure worth it. I use them every day and am very pleased every time.

I'll try those measurements you suggested. Good idea.

Marvin S
04-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Looks like your off to a good start and not all over the map.I would try the soft boollit and soft lube. Good luck with that beauty.

KirkD
04-05-2012, 10:19 AM
You can take a swag at the max bullet diameter for your chamber. Take the neck OD of a fired case. Add .001-2" to that neck OD for brass springback. That will be more or less your chamber neck diameter. Then just subtract 2X the neck wall thickness of that case from the estimated chamber neck diameter.... the result will be about the max bullet diameter for the chamber.
Did the measurement. Looks like I can chamber a .431 boolit. I may have a custom mould made up for this rifle. It has already demonstrated that it can be a tack driver if I can keep the leading at bay. Ideally, a pure lead boolit, sized to .431, over a decent pressure should be the cat's meow. I'm not that far away already, given that the leading was slow enough to allow for the first seven shots to be bang on and it was not until the eighth shot that it started to drift.

04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Interesting your chamber neck number is .431. That is the max number I have for my 73 in 44-40. But my grooves are a little tighter which makes it easier to live with and don't have to worry about obturation. I shoot a 20-30:1 lead/tin alloy with no issues.

smlekid
04-06-2012, 02:27 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124104
how about this one

Gunnut 45/454
04-07-2012, 12:46 AM
If I was you I'd see how big they drop from your mold- if they come out .430-2" just lube them up and shoot! Sure does look like that ones a shooter! Have fun!