PDA

View Full Version : almost feel ashamed

Lloyd Smale
04-04-2012, 05:48 AM
after 25 years of bashing glocks about a month ago i picked up a 23 on trade. I have to say that gun fits my hand about as good as a 1911 and i cant say that about any other black gun.. Ive shot about 2k out of it mixed jacketed and cast and it hasnt missed a beat and ive come to like it. So much so infact that yesterday i picked up one of the compact 26 models. Now this one doesnt fit my hand and i doubt that short fat grip frame fits any hand but i ordered 3 extended mags for it that im sure will help a bunch. A couple years back i picked up to lcp rugers, one for the truck and one for the jeep. there both fitted with crimson trace lazers and i made the mistake of letting my wife shoot them. Its about the only gun she has ever been able to hit anything with. It now resides in her bedstand so the little 26 will serve as the new jeep gun. Kind of funny i bashed glocks and even bashed the 9mm for years and now have a glock 9mm!!!!

mellonhead
04-04-2012, 05:58 AM
I did the same thing for years with S&W revolvers. Me being a big 45 Colt fan I could not understsnd why anyone would want a weak Smith in 45 Colt!! The Ruger was the obvious choice! Now I have more S&W 25's and 625's than I have Rugers!!!!

Toby

Sasquatch-1
04-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Jst two things I know of that you have to watch out for when shooting the Glocks:

1, Glock thumb, which have evidently avoided with a good grip on the gun. This occurs when you wrap the thumb of your weak hand over the thumb of your strong hand and the slide comes back and leaves a nice set of railroad tracks on your thumb. The department had a lot of this when we switch from revolvers to Glocks.

2, Limp wrist jams. No this isn't a slur at any one social group. If Glocks are not held firmly they will jam.

Other then these two things I never had a problem with the gun. Even though, like you, I was sceptical at first.

bobthenailer
04-04-2012, 08:16 AM
I also like the 1911 platform and have carried 5" , 4 1/4 " & 3 1/2 " for 35 years ! but a few years ago after shooting a friends Kahr on a few occasions , i was impressed ! i later bought a Kahr PM9 for my summer CCW gun and a year later bought a CW45 for winter CCW , after shooting about 4,000 rounds through them Im still impressed and would reccomend them to anyone for a CCW gun
I also thought i wouldent be cought dead with a 9mm only a 45 ACP for me! well times & guns have changed as well as the bullets. I use the Barnes TAC-XP in my CCW handguns.

Jack Stanley
04-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Funny how that works ain't it Lloyd ??? I like a lot of different types of guns but I still don't shoot single action revolvers as well as double action...... it don't mean I don't like 'em though .

Ya know a friend of mine got one of the early Glock nines many years ago . It was incredible how well he shot it but it wasn't long he sold it and his 1911 kept chugging along . I guess it's whatcha like huh?

Jack

Lloyd Smale
04-04-2012, 10:51 AM
well jack ive got to add that id NEVER sell a 1911 to finance a glock! I guess more then anything there just something new to play with. By the way i had that 26 at the range today and had it loaded with the group buy round flat 125 plain base and 3.8 grains of pr200 and it didnt miss beat and i was shooting 2 inch off hand groups at 15 yards with it which i consider pretty respectable for a gun i have to control with 2 fingers.

tek4260
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
No need to feel ashamed! Hard to even pick up something that "has no soul" like a Glock.

bowfin
04-04-2012, 12:14 PM
One of my brothers had no use for a Glock. My other brother loaned him a Glock 17 to try out, and he turned to the dark side and bought it.

He explained, "I didn't like Glocks, but this one is different. It doesn't feel like any other one."

Okay, if he likes that one, then I am glad he has a new gun he likes. I hope to own one myself one of these days.

Finster101
04-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Shot quite a few of them. Don't like em'. I'm not a basher. They are a fine pistol, just not a fit for me.

Larry Gibson
04-04-2012, 12:25 PM
No need to feel ashamed! Hard to even pick up something that "has no soul" like a Glock.

And so butt ugly! How can any one be seen in public with a Glock..........if I ever had one I'd have to have 3 bags; one to hide the Glock in so I wouldn't have to look at it, one over my head so no one would recognise me with a Glock and one for my dogs head so he wouldn't be embarrassed[smilie=l:

Larry Gibson

Love Life
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Ahh the Glock. I bought a used Gen 1 Glock 17 for my wife back in 2007. That gun has run without a hitch since we have owned it. I later bought a Glock 26. Same thing. I was surprised at how accurate the Glock 26 to be such a small pistol. I like them because they just work.

I have prettier guns, but the glocks always go to the range with me. I just hate feeding them. I think I am well stocked on 9mm ammo until the Mrs. goes shooting with me. Dang 17 round magazines wil eat your supply up quick!

EMC45
04-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Never liked them and I bashed them. I shot plenty of them too. Last year I traded a Smith Mod 66 that never saw any range time for a like new Model 36 Glock single stack .45ACP. Boy I sure do like that Glock. I had $225 in the Smith and he had right at 7 in the Glock (Night sights bought and installed) with receipts. I think I did ok with it. Can hit a 2/3 IPSC at 100 yards with it. The Smith hadn't been shot in about 6 years....

subsonic
04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Lloyd, you need to try out a G20.... they have all the glock good aspects, and the power of a good revolver. I love mine, but just couldn't like my G27 and sold it. I just don't get along with .40S&Ws very much.

tek4260
04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
BTW, I am not a Glock basher. They make excellent trade fodder towards a good revolver!

subsonic
04-04-2012, 01:58 PM
My G20 lets me keep my revolvers looking nice in the safe....

frank505
04-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks Lloyd, been thinking a lot about a carry pistol besides a 1911. Went to town and here is a Model 20 slim frame. Almost like it. It is quite a step from single actions in the hills and 1911 everywhere else. Have to buy a different barrel to shoot cast apparently and a plastic holster too. Maybe a 1911 in 10mm is a better choice for me. ARGGGGGGGGGG

Lloyd Smale
04-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Id have to snag a 10mm glock if i found a good deal on a used one. Anymore I about have to trade into guns and i just dont have much trading material left so id have to buy it and that would mean it would have to be pretty cheap. What id really like is a 10mm the same size as my 23. Is there a model like that?
Lloyd, you need to try out a G20.... they have all the glock good aspects, and the power of a good revolver. I love mine, but just couldn't like my G27 and sold it. I just don't get along with .40S&Ws very much.

subsonic
04-04-2012, 04:58 PM
G29 is the smaller version. It's sort-of like the G23 as far as size. The Glock website has tons of info on dimensions, weghts, etc. so you can see how it measures up to the 23. The newer G29s have a light rail if you're into that sort of thing. The newest ones can be the SF (slim frame). I like the way the regular old frames fit my hand better anyway.

EMC45
04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I run cast in my Factory Glock barrel all the time. Runs just fine and accurate too!

Sturmcrow
04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
My first handgun was a G20. With a 6" Storm Lake barrel and a stiffer recoil spring, I'm getting almost 900 ft-lbs of muzzle energy using 800X powder and the 180gr XTP. So far as I know, that exceeds the performance of the 357 Mag, with a larger diameter bullet and 15+1 rounds on tap.

I did have a few hiccups at first due to the firing-pin safety lifter being a bit short, which was likely compounded by some overzealous novice polishing. Glock came out with a taller lifter (at only $14, not a burden to upgrade) and I have had zero problems since. I am sometimes amazed at how easy the gun is to feed. Even with the tighter aftermarket chamber, it eats anything I throw at it.

As it was my first handgun, I bought into the "bad trigger, ugly looks" propaganda so prevalent on the web and tried a few different products to "improve" the trigger. I've picked up a few more handguns since then and realize that I may have been hard on the Glock. Sure the trigger is not the best, and never will be, but the darn gun just works.

Bwana
04-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks Lloyd, been thinking a lot about a carry pistol besides a 1911. Went to town and here is a Model 20 slim frame. Almost like it. It is quite a step from single actions in the hills and 1911 everywhere else. Have to buy a different barrel to shoot cast apparently and a plastic holster too. Maybe a 1911 in 10mm is a better choice for me. ARGGGGGGGGGG

You will not need to buy an aftermarket barrel for cast; however, you will want one for loading top end loads. The difference on case expansion between the factory and my Wolf barrel is significant. I have gotten smileys on the factory but never one on the Wolf barrel.

frank505
04-04-2012, 06:36 PM
thanks bwana, i just came back from shooting my 4" kimber 45, a s&w model 22 and 3" kimber all 45. cant say i am in love with any of them. the only gun that would run and run was feg hi power 9mm. a glock model 22 could replace all of them with money left over for lots of brass and a barrel, and j bullets. one gun to do all? what a concept

subsonic
04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
The Glocks are ugly. You could argue they are serious looking. The triggers can be downright bad (lots of guns fall into this classification tho....), but the trigger is somewhat easy to improve by a little polishing in the right places or a disconnector swap to the 5lb if you have the 8lb version. I'm not a fan of the 3.5lb disconnectors - too mushy. It will never be a good 1911 trigger, or a good revolver SA trigger, but it can be mastered and shot with about as much accuracy and speed as the others. And there is no safety to mess with when the chips are down and they still carry as safe or maybe more safe than a DA revolver. You will not hurt the finish unless you are trying to and it will not rust up if you sweat on it.

They are great tools.

ColColt
04-04-2012, 08:18 PM
I think everyone should have at least one Glock to appreciate the others. I have a G19 that's a good little pistol but IMHO, Glocks are the most unsafe pistols on the planet. Many think otherwise but that's my opinion. I sure wouldn't carry one. My choice would be a 3rd Gen S&W like the 4516-1. Wonder how I know that? I got rid of a G30SF as even after a trip to the "armorer" it still wouldn't keep from FTRTB issues so, too many good ones out there to agonize over one. The G19 is much better. The Glock triggers are atrocious and that little dog pecker "safety" should be the first thing they get rid of.

subsonic
04-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I think everyone should have at least one Glock to appreciate the others. I have a G19 that's a good little pistol but IMHO, Glocks are the most unsafe pistols on the planet. Many think otherwise but that's my opinion. I sure wouldn't carry one. My choice would be a 3rd Gen S&W like the 4516-1. Wonder how I know that? I got rid of a G30SF as even after a trip to the "armorer" it still wouldn't keep from FTRTB issues so, too many good ones out there to agonize over one. The G19 is much better. The Glock triggers are atrocious and that little dog pecker "safety" should be the first thing they get rid of.

I remember your thread. Sometimes you get a bad one of everything. Did you see that 7 shot custom shop smith and wesson with 6 flutes?

longhorn
04-04-2012, 08:39 PM
The G30SF converted me-but I still had to rasp on the grip some. Over a thousand rounds through mine without cleaning, and never a stutter-a wide variety of jktd loads. Sure are blocky, though; took me a while to find a comfy holster that didn't let the thing dig into my distinctly unblocky hide. Unsafe? Please review Col. Cooper's Rule #3.

subsonic
04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
A secret is that the fullsize guns actually conceal more comfortably than the mid and small sized ones.... they spread the load over a larger area of dunlap. Which is why I got rid of my G27 and kept the G20.

ColColt
04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I remember your thread. Sometimes you get a bad one of everything. Did you see that 7 shot custom shop smith and wesson with 6 flutes?

Seven shot? Nope, hadn't seen that one. I knew they made a 7-shot .357, though. I did like the G30SF and I'll always be puzzled why it did well for 300 rounds and then went haywire.

I shot the G26 as a range rental one day and it was sweet...nearly got one. I couldn't believe how well it shot to be so small. If it had a decocker, I probably would have. Guess I'm S&W oriented. They've been good for me.

subsonic
04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Seven shot? Nope, hadn't seen that one. I knew they made a 7-shot .357, though. I did like the G30SF and I'll always be puzzled why it did well for 300 rounds and then went haywire.

I shot the G26 as a range rental one day and it was sweet...nearly got one. I couldn't believe how well it shot to be so small. If it had a decocker, I probably would have. Guess I'm S&W oriented. They've been good for me.

Glocks are not cocked as they sit. The striker is only partially engaged. The reason the trigger pull is somewhat heavy, is that you are drawing the striker back against the striker spring to fire it. Think staple gun, as they have more in common with those than most other firearms. If the striker "slipped" from the position it rests in when the trigger is forward, it would not only be caught by the firing pin block, but also would not have enough power to fire the primer.

The only way Glocks fire is with the trigger fully to the rear UNLESS they fail by sticking the striker forward and slam fire like an open bolt sub-gun. This can happen with any firing pin in any semi-auto and is not a Glock only trait. Glocks are designed to prevent firing pin sticking - as the disconnector linkage actually grabs the back of the striker and draws it to the rear slightly as the slide returns, pulling it back from the breach face.

The Springfield XDs are actually cocked all the way (you can see the end of the striker protruding from the slide), and thats why they have a better/shorter trigger pull. Are they as safe?

Jack Stanley
04-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I've only fired two Glocks since they hit the shores . That nine that my pal had so long ago and a forty-five that he bought . While I've always stuck very close to a S&W "K" "L" or preferably "N" frame , I did like that early nine millimeter gun he had . I can't bash 'em since it fit my hand so nice , except that big ol' forty-five glock made :!:Now THAT one I did not like at all .

Maybe someday I'll wander into owning one but for now I'll shoot memories of the Glock and a real "N" frame ;)

Jack

fcvan
04-05-2012, 01:14 AM
My Springfield .45 was my 'American Express' gun for 20 years, didn't leave home without it. Maintaining quarterly qualification wasn't easy as my department prohibited the use of single action weapons for a number of years. The private rangemaster died so I wasn't able to carry my .45 off-duty. They have since changed policy regarding single action semi-automatics.

About the same time, my wife bought me a Glock 22C and I started carrying that. I still love my .45 but carry one of my Glocks (I have also picked up a 23) most of the time. When our version of SWAT started carrying Glocks I was issued a Gen 4 22 which I was already quite familiar with. I have Lone Wolf 9MM conversion barrels for both the 22 and 23 and enjoy shooting 9MM almost as much as the .40 loads. I also bought a conversion barrel for the wife's 23 and she enjoys shooting both calibers.

Lots of friends have shot my Glocks. Some like them, some don't, you either like them or you don't. With all of the nice pistols out there I'm sure everyone has their own preferences. My personal favorites are revolvers for all around plinking but my concealed weapon of choice is generally one of my Glocks. Frank

Lloyd Smale
04-05-2012, 06:11 AM
like i said. Im not going to fall flat in love with these two guns either. They will never replace my 1911s. I grew up with them and they work like an extension of my hand. the glocks do have terrible trigger pulls compared to a 1911 and when i instinct shoot with them the barrel points up to much do to the angle of the grip frame. Im sure a guy could get used to it though. to me they are what they are. I bought them basicaly for truck guns. I almost hate to stick a nice 1911 or a beautiful smith revolver in the counsel of the truck or jeep and let it get banged around. With something like these homely critters it wouldnt bother me. I could care less that they dont have a safety. Im the only one using them and God issued me a brain. I guess to that i can probably live with the terrible trigger pulls as i doubt id ever shoot one in competition. I guess my thoughts run more to just replacing the lcps in the vechicles with something with a little more snort that goes bang EVERYTIME you pull the trigger even if its neglegted 364 days a year. Could be just a fad with me too. Ive had sigs, H&Ks and a berreta storm in the past and they went down the road the first time a good trade came up. Thing is at the time i never really had a good use for them. time will tell i guess

missionary5155
04-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Good morning
I felt ugly thoughts about Glocks till I fired a 40SW. Then a 45 ACP... So now there may be as many Glocks as 1911's in storage. But I still think the SIG 45 has them beat. But I will again haul my old Remington Rand about more than any other mag feeder.
Mike in Peru

Bwana
04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
For those of you that have little or nothing good to say about Glocks I have just one question. What brand of firearm has been used to take the most trophies in the production division of USPSA and SSP in IDPA?

DeanWinchester
04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I carry G19 everyday. Yes they are ugly, but that's an attribute not a detriment. You won't care if it gets scratched in the day to day goings on. They are not classy, refined or elegant. BUT, when all the class and gallantry are worn out or need a tune up, that nasty ugly Glock is still cycling.

In my eyes, the Glock is the Diesel of the handgun world. They are workhorses. They're ugly and they smell funny but they work. Every time. You can try to customize and polish one but we all know that if you polish a turd you get a shiny pile of [oops] So just leave them be, defend your pride and dignity and honor with a Hamilton Bowen built Ruger and when something goes bump in the night, you can defend your family's life with the ugly, indestructible anvil that is Glock.

That's my two cents. Calculating for inflation and the current value of the american dollar, I guess I still owe you a dollar and quarter.

Rick Hodges
04-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I hear about the reliability of the Glocks and just laugh. They sold my department that line too. We transitioned, Glock had to issue new and improved magazines...3 times to fix feeding malfuntions. Had to replace recoil springs twice....to all of the weapons on a 110 man Police Department. 20% of the weapons malfunctioned every qualification day. I hear about the limp wrist problem...this was NOT the case. Poorly designed magazines (all plastic) failed at an alarming rate. Glock repaced them with partially metal lined magazines...they failed too so they replaced them a third time with more metal inside. They identified a problem with recoil springs so they replaced all of them...that was also a failed fix so they replaced them a second time with a captured guide.

The triggers are attrocious, gritty creepy things. Accidental discharges....many, mostly due to idiots shoving the guns in their waistbands...when they grabbed the falling gun...bang.

I have also heard that the Glock is not fully cocked.....I don't buy it at all. It is cocked enough. Glock had the slickest marketing program of any firearms manufacturer, complete with outright cash bribes to decision makers in PD purchasing departments. I am not drinking the Kool Aid. I carried one for 8 yrs. before my retirement and still own the Model 23. I witnessed qualification scores drop from before the transition training...to such an extent they changed the course and quit scoring for record...just pass fail.

Nope I don't buy it at all...was forced to replace a perfectly good Sig P220 that shot circles around any Glock on our department. I hear that the magazine problem is resolved and with regular maintenace and replacement is no longer an issue. The recoil spring? I don't know. They have done nothing to improve the trigger. Nope...I'm not drinking the Kool Aid.

thegreatdane
04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
My first glock was the full size, 10mm (G20-SF). It was then that I fell in love with the ugly utilitarian pistol. Fast forward a few years: I now have more models than I care to admitt. I compete USPSA with several of mine. I keep them bone-stock except for barrel (easier on Pb although the stock one can work).

Welcome!

PS- I'm also a devout 1911 fan. They're different animals. Both excellent for their respective purposes.

subsonic
04-05-2012, 01:50 PM
From what I have seen, the .40 cal versions are plagued with the most issues.

The 9s run the best, followed by 45's and 10s.

IMHO, the 40 is just too much in too small of a package and an adaption of the 9mm variation that should have been a total re-design for the larger diameter round.

AGAIN, IMHO.

Also, hand a ton of police officers anything and they will find a way to break it. Can you imagine the production speed required to supply all of the 22s and 23s to police and military?

Sasquatch-1
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I hear about the reliability of the Glocks and just laugh. They sold my department that line too. We transitioned, Glock had to issue new and improved magazines...3 times to fix feeding malfuntions. Had to replace recoil springs twice....to all of the weapons on a 110 man Police Department. 20% of the weapons malfunctioned every qualification day. I hear about the limp wrist problem...this was NOT the case. Poorly designed magazines (all plastic) failed at an alarming rate. Glock repaced them with partially metal lined magazines...they failed too so they replaced them a third time with more metal inside. They identified a problem with recoil springs so they replaced all of them...that was also a failed fix so they replaced them a second time with a captured guide.

The triggers are attrocious, gritty creepy things. Accidental discharges....many, mostly due to idiots shoving the guns in their waistbands...when they grabbed the falling gun...bang.

I have also heard that the Glock is not fully cocked.....I don't buy it at all. It is cocked enough. Glock had the slickest marketing program of any firearms manufacturer, complete with outright cash bribes to decision makers in PD purchasing departments. I am not drinking the Kool Aid. I carried one for 8 yrs. before my retirement and still own the Model 23. I witnessed qualification scores drop from before the transition training...to such an extent they changed the course and quit scoring for record...just pass fail.

Nope I don't buy it at all...was forced to replace a perfectly good Sig P220 that shot circles around any Glock on our department. I hear that the magazine problem is resolved and with regular maintenace and replacement is no longer an issue. The recoil spring? I don't know. They have done nothing to improve the trigger. Nope...I'm not drinking the Kool Aid.

I would just like to say that I came from a department of 3600+. I carried a Glock 19 and uniform personnel carried the 17. I carried the 19 for about 12 years qualifing semi annually and the only jams I had were the purposely induced jams to practice clearing. We fired about 300 rounds during every qualfication session d close to 2000 during our week long transition training. During qualification I can't remember anyone having a jam caused by mechanical failure of any parts on the gun. In fact I can only remember 1 or 2 jams and we had a lot of people you wouldn't just standing behind you with a drawn gun. Some were totally inept. There were problems with the mags ropping when ejected when they were first issued but the metal reinforced mag seemed to solve the problem. The guns would digest any type of ammo from the cheap ball practice rounds to Hydra-shock.

Now I can't say the same for the only other high capacity 9mm I have owned which was a S&W M59, This was the first gen 59. I would have at least three jams per box of Federal factory ammo I shot through it. My AMT 380 Backup worked better then that boat anchor.

This is strictly from my observation and I in NO manner have any professional gunsmith training.

Oh yeah, the main reason we went with the Glock was it was the easiest transition from revolver to semi. No safeties to fumble with. Just pull and shoot.

And just remember, the A-10 Thunderbolt is probably the ugliest plain in the air. But I am sure our troops in the middle east would have been worst off without it.

Rick Hodges
04-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Sasquash-1,

We were the first to transition to them in our area..It was a mess. We went with .40's and had numerous magazine problems, as I indicated. Glock also replaced the recoil springs with two different updated parts...they also provided new trigger parts for the guns. I'm glad you like yours. Our transition training was conducted by Glock representatives and consisted of some 600 rds. of mostly stoppage drills. It was a good thing, as we surely needed to know how to clear them and get them back into action.

I own one...more than enough for me. (By the way all of our ammo was factory stuff...duty was Speer Gold Dot 180's and a lot of practice stuff was the Blazer 180 solids). Looks have nothing to do with it...I don't think Sig's or Gov't models are very pretty....pretty is as pretty does. I gave the Glock more than a fair try...Not for me.

I think I know how the Marines who were first issued the M-16's and told they didn't need cleaning etc. They were a miseable failure and if you talk with any that survived combat with those miserable pieces you will never convince them that they are adequate battle rifles. My training with M-16's was with the A-2's with forward assist and proper cleaning procedures and I love the black rifle. I feel kind of like those jarheads who were first issued the M-16....I don't feel kindly towards the Glock and it is unlikely I will ever change my mind. It is a good thing that there are a lot of other guns out there.

Rick

ColColt
04-05-2012, 10:09 PM
The safest pistols LEO's ever carried were the 3rd Gen S&W's...usually the 5906 or 4566. Decocker plus the mag safety prevented the bad guys from snatching them and trying to use the weapon on the officer. Now with most carrying the Glock in it's many calibers be it the 40 or 9mm, all they have to do is get it and start shooting. No safety to figure out, decocker to fiddle with and a 100% cop killer if it's stolen from them-point and shoot.

I like Glocks, I really do, have one myself. I had two but well, most know the story a bout the G30SF. The G19 has been sweet but, it's a range/home pistol. When it comes to carry, I like the safety(s) on the 4506 and 4516 series and know the routine of how they work-I've had them since 1990. If S&W ever decides to make a short run of them again I'd be in line waiting. More reliable than a 1911 and for sure more safe than a Glock. Again, my personal experience and preferences.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/2602155_sw4516_1.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3638n.jpg

subsonic
04-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Modern retention holsters are probably more difficult to figure out than putting the mag back in and flipping the safety off....

The surest way to make sure cops are not killed with their own guns is to not issue them.

Frank46
04-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned and set in my ways. But I like to see a hammer on the back end of my pistols. My firing experience with glocks is/was limited to the subcompact 45 acp version. Frank

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Well when i rains it pours. I bought the two glocks about 2 weeks apart and yesterday my buddy was down visiting and brought a bunch of guns. One was a 10mm glock. Ive wanted a 10mm ever since i sold my 610 foolishly. We got talking and he really wanted my 475 FA and i have a linebaugh built 475 anyway and lately the big guns have pretty much been collecting dust. he also has a 696 smith i foolishly again traded off to him in a week moment. He offered the glock and the 696 back and we made the trade. Im more excited about the 696 coming home then anything. I was probably my favorite all time wheel gun.

frank505
04-07-2012, 10:30 AM
you should send me the G20 and I will faithfully report on its kill count........................

TCLouis
04-07-2012, 10:57 AM
If I needed something to fill at a social occasion, I think one of the black plastic things from Mr. Glock would fit the bill.

After all it fires like a 15 or so shot revolver and with the model 20 one could pretend to have a 41 Maggie.

frank505
04-07-2012, 11:26 AM
We are thinking the wolves here are getting very aggressive. Grizzlies are enough of a problem, but usually are alone. Not the %$)(&@$# wolves. Is 45 acp 1911 enough? dont know and will not donate my dog or family to these terrorist MFers. When these things show up in the east, you folks better get to shooting them on sight, unless they are eating libtards or their children.

tek4260
04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
We are thinking the wolves here are getting very aggressive. Grizzlies are enough of a problem, but usually are alone. Not the %$)(&@$# wolves. Is 45 acp 1911 enough? dont know and will not donate my dog or family to these terrorist MFers. When these things show up in the east, you folks better get to shooting them on sight, unless they are eating libtards or their children.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

subsonic
04-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Well when i rains it pours. I bought the two glocks about 2 weeks apart and yesterday my buddy was down visiting and brought a bunch of guns. One was a 10mm glock. Ive wanted a 10mm ever since i sold my 610 foolishly. We got talking and he really wanted my 475 FA and i have a linebaugh built 475 anyway and lately the big guns have pretty much been collecting dust. he also has a 696 smith i foolishly again traded off to him in a week moment. He offered the glock and the 696 back and we made the trade. Im more excited about the 696 coming home then anything. I was probably my favorite all time wheel gun.

Definitely post up what you think after you shoot a few groups with the 10mm. I am not sure that the G20 is a great cast gun, but mine drives tacks with most 200gr jacketed I have fired. It's not a bench gun, as I can usually shoot better off-hand than from the bench with it. Don't know why.

Lloyd Smale
04-08-2012, 05:49 AM
this one came from my buddy Al and most of whats been shot in it is cast. He said it has no problem shooitng the lee 180 tn with 12 grains of wc820 into under 2 inchs at 25 yards. Plenty good enough for me with what that gun is for. I dont even have brass for it. I foolishly sold my 610 about 5 years ago and gave all my brass away. Al gave me about 50 rounds of cast loads to get me by until the brass came. the neighbor and i were shooting it out back last night. He has a 23 identical to mine and there was no comparison to the dirt flying when those tens hit the ground compared to his 40. Id surely like to kill something with it! Biggest problem with them in my opionion for hunting guns is the terrible triggers. I went looking around last night and drop in triggers sets for them run a 150 bucks on up and thats a bit more then i can afford right now. Also just got an extended mag for the 26. It makes that gun! I can get three fingers on the grip now. I wore in yesterday in a iwb holster and its a bit more noticeable then one of my little 1911s. Could be because its a bit fatter or it just could be that i havent had a iwb holster on in about a year. Frank ive said it before. I wish we lived closer or at least my back would allow more visits. You and I would probably be brothers from another mother if we lived closer. Id give my left you know what to be able to come out and spend some time and do some killing with you or at least come out for a visit again!

Four Fingers of Death
04-08-2012, 08:18 AM
after 25 years of bashing glocks about a month ago i picked up a 23 on trade. I have to say that gun fits my hand about as good as a 1911 and i cant say that about any other black gun.. Ive shot about 2k out of it mixed jacketed and cast and it hasnt missed a beat and ive come to like it. So much so infact that yesterday i picked up one of the compact 26 models. Now this one doesnt fit my hand and i doubt that short fat grip frame fits any hand but i ordered 3 extended mags for it that im sure will help a bunch. A couple years back i picked up to lcp rugers, one for the truck and one for the jeep. there both fitted with crimson trace lazers and i made the mistake of letting my wife shoot them. Its about the only gun she has ever been able to hit anything with. It now resides in her bedstand so the little 26 will serve as the new jeep gun. Kind of funny i bashed glocks and even bashed the 9mm for years and now have a glock 9mm!!!!

I had a 26 and it was a sinister lookign little gun that worked a treat! The Government ended up confiscating (they paid me, I made a tidy profit on it, they paid list for it, I paid way less. Silly thing is they let me go out and buy a 92FS and a Norinco 1911 in 9mm and a 38Super Colt immediately afterwards. Don't make no kinda sense.

I know I will get shouted down for this, but most Americans poo poo any gun that has a different grip angle to the 1911, but the rest of the world use a different grip angle that is more conducive to natural pointing. You guys got the tail wagging the dog.

Having said that I have a Colt 1911 in 38 Super and a Norinco 1911 in 9mm. I also have a 22Ciener Slide and a 45ACP slide, so I am not completely biased the other way.

Try positioning yourself in fron tof a target, fitting a blindfold and then lining up where you reckon the target is and shoot both and see where your shots go.

Works better on someone who doesn't know what is going on because the shooter who knows will recognise the 1911 and adjust. The others point better when it comes down to just pure instinct.

My maxim? Enjoy em' all.

Four Fingers of Death
04-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but seeing you are discussing handgun safetys, etc, one thing that surprises me is the fact that 1911s don't seem to have the mag safety anymore. I alwaus thought that it was a brillinat idea. If you felt that yo were about to lose your gun, press the mag release and let it go. By the time the attacker works out hat the gun won't work, you can club him to death with your torch or baton or just plain get away from him (and come back with the pump gun!).

frank505
04-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I think I am getting a G20. If Al had one and you like it, I guess the single action Gods wont strike me down for carrying a Glock. Yah, Lloyd, I wish you lived closer to here, we would do some shootin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Life
04-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Glocks are great guns and have their place.

1911s are great guns and have their place.

subsonic
04-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Rather than spend $150, just polish the tab that sticks up and catches the edge of the striker. Also polish the edge of the striker. I used a dremel with a polishing bob. Just barely smooth it. For my gun it made a BIG DIFFERENCE!

I have had some of the aftermarket trigger stuff, and really like the stock 5lb connector and factory parts with a light polish better. Much more crisp vs a big mush with creep.

BruceB
04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Four Fingers of Death;1666352]Not ...... is the fact that 1911s don't seem to have the mag safety anymore. I alwaus thought that it was a brilliant idea.[QUOTE]

Browning hi-Powers (their 9mm) DO have the magazine safety.

I've never, in over fifty years of handgunning and seeing hundreds of 1911s, NEVER seen a 1911 with a magazine safety. New, old, collector's rarities....never.

Personally, I prefer a single-shot pistol to a useless piece of steel (if the magazine gets lost). having used pistols both with and without mag safeties, my choice has been made. I de-activate these devices immediately, or , if that's an iffy proposition, I just won't buy the gun to begin with.

Different strokes, I suppose.

Lloyd Smale
04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Al didnt want to part with it and said hes going to pick up the first one he finds at the local shop to replace it. he wanted my 475 fa gun bad and i wanted a 10 and mostly wanted my 696 back that i let him trade me out of a about 5years ago.
I think I am getting a G20. If Al had one and you like it, I guess the single action Gods wont strike me down for carrying a Glock. Yah, Lloyd, I wish you lived closer to here, we would do some shootin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lloyd Smale
04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
got to agree with bruce. ive never seen a 1911 with a mag disconect.
[QUOTE=Four Fingers of Death;1666352]Not ...... is the fact that 1911s don't seem to have the mag safety anymore. I alwaus thought that it was a brilliant idea.[QUOTE]

Browning hi-Powers (their 9mm) DO have the magazine safety.

I've never, in over fifty years of handgunning and seeing hundreds of 1911s, NEVER seen a 1911 with a magazine safety. New, old, collector's rarities....never.

Personally, I prefer a single-shot pistol to a useless piece of steel (if the magazine gets lost). having used pistols both with and without mag safeties, my choice has been made. I de-activate these devices immediately, or , if that's an iffy proposition, I just won't buy the gun to begin with.

Different strokes, I suppose.

Four Fingers of Death
04-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I was always under the impression that the early 1911s had that sort of safety, obviously I was on the wrong track. I had a Springfield Armoury 1911 and I thought that it had one. That was in the 80s, long time ago and I never had the gun long.

I thought it was a good idea, but then again I only ever carried a revolver at work.

Lloyd Smale
04-09-2012, 05:13 AM
I never liked the idea. Without one if i happend to loose my mags i could at least stick a round in the chamber and make the gun go bang.

gunfan
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
By gum, that'll teach you! :mrgreen:

Scott

Four Fingers of Death
04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I never liked the idea. Without one if i happend to loose my mags i could at least stick a round in the chamber and make the gun go bang.

The reason I fancied the idea is that if I was about to lose my gun in a wrestling match to some giant drug crazed gangbanger gorrilla, I could drop the mag and let him have it and by the time her figured out that the gun wasn't going to work, I would have beaten the **** out of him with my baton or mag light, or just plain got away from him.

subsonic
04-09-2012, 09:43 PM
If you have enough control of the gun to punch the mag release, simply hit the trigger instead. People tend to let go in a hurry when guns go off.

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2012, 05:51 AM
I guess its something a police officer might have use for. Im sure ### would hit the fan if someone got ahold of his gun and shot him or someone else. Personaly i think it isnt a point for a civilian. If you got yourself into that prediciment youd be in a world of trouble allready anyway. Bottom line is i agree with subsonic. If you had time to draw that gun and havent allready pulled the trigger you screwed up big time.

Rick Hodges
04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Lloyd,

I don't know if it has changed much since my working days...but most cops got shot with their own guns. Every call we went on was a "gun run". We were there carrying a gun to every call we went on and if we got overpowered the bad guy was armed. Hard to explain why an unarmed man was shot...ask Zimmerman, but the fact remains if you are armed and overpowered, the other guy is now armed.

About magazine safeties...I always felt they were an answer to a problem that didn't exist. They are designed to save a fool from shooting himself with an "unloaded" gun...forgetting about the round in the chamber. Mechanical devices rarely save a fool and tactically the feature can put a weapon out of commision when it might be needed.