PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions

jlala504
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I started clearing out an old indoor range today and have roughly 1450# of scrap in 18 buckets. Before I start smelting it I have another ~1500# to clear out, would it be best to just store it in buckets or is there something larger I can store it all in?
Also when I do smelt it, if I remove all the lead from the jackets do recyclers buy it back? What category copper should I expect out of it? Thanks!

fredj338
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I have never tried selling the copper scrap, the drive to a recycle place would cost more than it' woul dbe worth. There is no downside to storing in the buckets, easy to move, until the handle breaks. Milk crates are perfect if you can get some. Sturdy, stackable & easy to move.

letsmeltlead2693
04-03-2012, 08:33 PM
copper is worth a whole lot of money. more than 3.20 per pound.

Bill*
04-03-2012, 09:34 PM
If you need the buckets back to transport the remainder, I don't see why you couldn't dump them into a large steel garbage can. But place it where you're gonna smelt cause you aint gonna move it :) A small shovel or scoop would be useful when time to empty it. And keep it covered so it doesn't get rain in it!

pergoman
04-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I sell the copper jackets and steel wheel weight clips. I also sell all of my damaged brass cases. Last week I had to drive right past the scrap dealer so I put everything in the car and walked away with $86. Selling my scrap is great.

jlala504
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I sell the copper jackets and steel wheel weight clips. I also sell all of my damaged brass cases. Last week I had to drive right past the scrap dealer so I put everything in the car and walked away with $86. Selling my scrap is great.

If you don't mind, would you care to share how much they were paying per lb for the jackets?

SlowSmokeN
04-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Brass jackets here in Southern Oregon is $2.05 a pound.