PDA

View Full Version : Muchas Gracias and Thanks a Bunch

Char-Gar
04-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Guys, I want to thank you for your generous responses to my threads in regard to taking up shooting black powder in my Ruger No 3.. Here is where I will start with my learning curve.

1) Bullet will be Lyman 457483. This is the old 405 Carbine bullet with a gas check on it. It has been a sterling performed in the No. 3 when shoved out the barrel behind 25/4759

2) Alloy will be 30-1

3) I will pan lube and remove with an old Lyman Kake Kutter and then shove through a .459 sizing die.

4) I will try two different lubes. 1. 50/50 beeswax and olive oil and 2. 50/40/10 beeswax, crisco and canola oil.

5) I will start with a duplex load of 6 grains of 4759 under as much FFG Goex and I can use in my cases with moderate compression (maybe 1/4 inch) after the powder has been shaken down on top of my vibrating case cleaner.

6) Primer will the the Rem. 9.5M

Sounds like a plan... Thanks again.

Dale53
04-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Chargar;
I think you have the idea:-D.

These are NICE little rifles. I haven't yet started to work with mine but I have a good number of bullets cast up (both the collar button and 458322 H.P.). The Gould bullet is the one I'll use on deer if I ever hunt a state where rifles are allowed.

Dale53

4060MAY
04-02-2007, 09:05 PM
size them first
if you use the lube stated, no need for a cake cutter
use a MTM 100 rnd box insert, and a 12x12 cake pan
bullets point down, put the pan over the insert, turn upside down.
boolits are spaced nicely, cool in the fridge
use a piece of leather, set the block on a piece of cardboard
push the bullets thru to your hand.
sizing first leave a little extra coating on the boolit.

The Double D
04-02-2007, 11:39 PM
5) I will start with a duplex load of 6 grains of 4759 under as much FFG Goex and I can use in my cases with moderate compression (maybe 1/4 inch) after the powder has been shaken down on top of my vibrating case cleaner.

Why are you duplexing starting loads. You don't know that you need to duplex. Duplexing at this point is a solution to a problem that doesn't yet exist.

Second why are you duplexing then vibrating. The powders will migrate and defeat the whole purpose that duplexing is supposed to solve. Migrated or mixed powders can seriously affect the burn rate and result is pressure anomalies. Not likely a big issue in the No 3, but accuracy will be affected.

If you are looking for a cleaner burn try a different brand of powder first. GOEX Cartridge or Select or Swiss all give cleaner burn and without all the issues associated with duplexing. You gould even step up to Fg and get a cleaner burn.

SharpsShooter
04-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Start with just Black Powder. You may not even need to bother with duplexing and I would not vibrate any duplex load due to the migration issue mentioned above.

Most of all, have fun with it. You might just get a surprise as to how accurate the Black can be.

SS

45 2.1
04-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Stay with the duplex loading to start your blackpowder adventures, you'll be a lot happier. Just wait until you start useing straight black and you'll appreciate the difference.

omgb
04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
I duplex in my 45-90 and will not go back to straight BP. I use 6 grains of RL7 and 79 grains of BP. The first is by weight, the second by volume. I lube my bullets with Dan T's White Lightning and cast them from 1/20 lead/tin. No blow tubing, no screwing around with fouling,...except in the hottest and dryest of weather and even then, it's nothing compared to straight BP.

I have used Swiss 1.5F, 2F, GOEX 1F, 2F and Cartridge and settled on GOEX 2F. Swiss was great but it is hard to get out here and it does cost more. I didn't see the need for the added price once I went to duplexing.

Of course, if I were to shoot competition, I'd have to give up duplexing. Such is life. One thing I would not do is vibrate the powders together. That is asking for trouble. I'd switch over to RL 7 too. I tried a bunch of others and RL7 worked the best.

w30wcf
04-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Chargar,

Since your goal is: "I am just looking for a fun plinking rifle, that is light weight and could be used for hunting at 100 to 200 yards." I would also recommend duplex loading. Your thoughs of 6.0/4759 & enough FFG for at least 1/4" of compression sounds like a good plan.

Rather than vibrate which could mix a portion of the smokeless charge in with the b.p., I would recommend just pouring the b.p. through a funnel slowly. I have used a 6.0/4759 + 56.0/FFG recipe in a Trapdoor Springfield with excellent results under a 420 gr. cast bullet.

Have fun!

w30wcf