PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Boxer Primed Steel Cases, Anyone Else Doing It?

newcastter
04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
While at the range today I was collecting empty Wolf .223 boxes when I noticed it said Boxer primed, so I collected about 300 empty but before I do anything with them I was wondering if any of you reload these or have any knowledge of reloading steel cases. I did notice while picking up the cases that they rust so I discarded anything that had the least bit of rust, Something I was wondering is if I anneal the necks will this help with resizing.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated
I do have plenty of brass but I swage my own .223 from 22lr brass so I was thinking of using these for stock piling ammunition or for shooting in places that I would not have to worry about retrieving the emptys.

acguy45
04-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I have loaded them in .223 and 45 ACP before. I only use them one more time myself, in situations like you stated where you are unable to retrieve your brass. I have read where others have used them more but don't choose to chance it myself. I pretty much only shoot mid range loads for general shooting though.

W.R.Buchanan
04-03-2012, 05:18 PM
There are several guys here that reload steel cases. Mind you,, you only neck size these cases.

I don't believe there is enough pressure generated to fire form them to the chamber anyway.

I don't do it, but I made note of their experience as you never know what you are going to need to do in a pinch.

I find so much good .223 brass left at my ranges that I don't need to reload steel cases. but I want to know how to do it anyway as the experience might come in handy for something someday.

No matter how hard you try, you will never fill up your Mental Toolbox!

Randy

Janoosh
04-03-2012, 06:20 PM
I reload Wolf 223 steel cases. I first started, as an experiment, then, because I could, now....I'm just a scrounge! I'm using a Baikal o/u 12ga/223, single shot firearm. I have 6 loads on 20 experimental cases. I clean the case first. De-prime and clean inside the primer pocket and the neck. Lube (lanolin), inside of neck also, then full resize with Lee dies. After the first shooting, I Neck size only using a Hornady Universal (22) neck sizer. This is for Jaxketed bullets. I'm finding the inside of the neck too rough for Cast Boolits. I'm experimenting trying to polish the inside of the neck, easily. Until then...... Now, I'm up to the starting load plus 1gr. Accuracy before speed.

Janoosh
04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I have access to lots of range brass. It bugged me to just throw away this "brass". Or expended shells. The Sharpe Book says it can be done, so I gave it a try. I feel "You always gotta try, to keep your mind sharp"! I'm experiencing no case growth, no case head problems (always checking with a wire), no primer pocket problems. I did NOT anneal any cases. I know Brass is easier, I save that brass as trading material! Hope this helps.

newcastter
04-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Yes this info is very helpfull, I scrounge as much brass as I can but .223 is rare to be left at my range, also alot more people are shooting the steel cases because there cheap.
I cleaned them and full length sized and deprimed them using my swage lube 50/50 caster oil and lanolin and all went smooth. I was carefull to shine a flashlight down each case and I found 2 beredan primed, glad I checked.

Poygan
04-03-2012, 07:25 PM
I can't address the .223s but I have reloaded both aluminum and Wolf steel cases. Even though I use a carbide sizing die, I lube the cases. I loaded modest loads and ran them through my Black Hawk in case of a case failure. IIRC, the cases, both aluminum and steel, began to split upon firing around the fifth reloading.
I have plenty of brass for the .45acp but using these cases precludes having to find cases in the snow.